IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Used to cut lawns years ago, a 15 minute cut for a little old lady, straight out with the tea; do full days at a rich persons house not a chance. It's remarkable how I've seen that pattern repeated throughout my working life. The fancier the house you are working at the less chance of a cuppa.

So you want them to employ a teapot and then make the tea themselves? Bit like having a dog and barking yourself.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Not just tea. I put some tea into my cider when I'm making it.

Anyway, away from the magnificence of tea, here's a nice puff piece from the i

https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-jersey-guernsey-isle-of-man-air-bridge-quarantine-rules-519805

Nice little plug for the Island there. Probably worth £3million in free advertising by his reckoning when Skally gets ahold of it... 

8 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

You're not helping yourself here.

Your first link was to an article about Skelly saying about the importance of any business coming here seeking assistance to being jobs.  Which is common sense and probably even more so a reflection on Substance Rules.  Which you went into some rant about what success had been had.  To which I pointed out to you the largest income producing sector on the island would be deemed success.

Suitably corrected, you then changed tack and posted a second link about the enterprise development fund.  To which I pointed out to you that it is governments job to invest and that not all business ideas and ventures are a success.  That is the nature of business.  Some fail no matter how good the idea or intentions.

You stated it should all be published but that makes no sense any wider than the context I gave you about the information on grants etc being available for you to read and digest (which i guy you cant be arsed so it's just easy to moan about stuff you don't understand).

Somehow you've morphed it into budgets of capital infrastructure projects.  Quite how, I don't know.

We can agree on one thing though - it will be tough for businesses on the island but you can add that to businesses everywhere, not just here.

Now more than ever it is important that the island is receptive to new opportunities.  I guess if it was down to people like you we would simply sit there, do nothing and slowly die, but the important thing is we could die economically knowing we spent very little anywhere to appease people like you:thumbsup:

Finally, I don't work for DfE or any government area.  It's just a bit of common sense.  Think about it.

What I posted ment, If Mr Skelly wants new jobs from new businesses coming to the island, lets it not cost the £270,000.00 per job like it did last time.

What we don't want is like DfE, that was DED, just a rebranded name, but the same snake oil as before.

Also if Government invest our taxpayers money into private businesses, we the contributors should have the right to know.

Hiding behind confidentiality is bullshit.

But we will never agree on this, as I get the feeling you seem to think it is not taxpayers money.

17 minutes ago, winnie said:

Only 11 deaths and 530 new cases in the uk with 60 million population. 

Come on, get that border open !!

Only 1300 deaths in 100 million population in the Philippines too apparently....and they've still got cities in lockdown.

21 minutes ago, winnie said:

Only 11 deaths and 530 new cases in the uk with 60 million population. 

Come on, get that border open !!

This happens every Monday[1].  I've been pointing out this happens every Monday since March.  No bugger takes the slightest notice.

(Including all those journalists who cheer about it every seven days.  At least goldfish aren't paid to be forgetful)

[1] Eg Monday 6 July 16 deaths, Tuesday 7 July 155 deaths.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

This happens every Monday[1].  I've been pointing out this happens every Monday since March.  No bugger takes the slightest notice.

(Including all those journalists who cheer about it every seven days.  At least goldfish aren't paid to be forgetful)

Some people are straight up thick

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

So compared to last monday the deaths are down

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

So compared to last monday the deaths are down

A little, but not as much as we would like.  And last Tuesday's figure was exactly the same as the previous week's (also 155).

The problem with assessing the UK Covid figures is that  deaths are 'lagging' indicator.  They tell you about who was catching the virus 3-4 weeks ago (it take an average 5-6 days to show symptoms and deaths occur maybe 2-3 weeks later).  That's without all the other problems of lack of diagnosis and late reporting.  There's clearly a problem in the UK with weekend reporting in particular (Monday's death figures are for those who are supposed to have died on Sunday) and you can see the pattern clearly on the chart in my link that shows the deaths by day.

Cases should be a more immediate measure, but that depends so much on how many people you test and who they are.  Even if you don't completely screw up your numbers like the UK has done, it's very difficult to compare infection rates over time because of changes to the testing regime (often very valid ones), never mind comparing between countries.