IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

The WHO is now trying to say the UK should only vaccinate health workers and vulnerable people before giving vaccine supply away to other countries. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable

I don't often agree with nationalist sentiment but on this occasion the UK should crack on and vaccinate as many people as possible. They're prior handling of the pandemic has been disastrous as evidenced by the number of dead. So just keep going and at least get this part of the response right. 

The UK was an early purchaser of several different vaccines even before it was known if they would be viable of even approved. Take full advantage of that. There's around 247m doses on order. Surely they won't all be used by the UK, plenty to share out after.

I've never trusted Roger Daltrey anyway. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

I don't think there will be, but what difference does it make if we wait till Monday or relax from one minute past midnight this morning?  I understand that notice is always good, but who needs notice to start to meet family, and for businesses its not as though its a starter gun where you have to be ready on the start line. 

It's only a small point, but it doesn't take an awful lot of prep to go back to normal and for businesses where staffing rotas etc. have to be changed they just aren't on the starting blocks with everyone else. 

This entire week has felt very arbitrary and petty tbh, almost as if the Govt were stuck between satisfying the lockdown forever brigade, and letting out those who want to do some work, see family etc. This weekend in particular, it would have been sensible to allow families and friends to meet as normal, even if they still persevered with their plan to open non essential business and leisure facilities on Monday. I strongly suspect that a lot of people will be ignoring the rules this weekend and will be seeing friends and families. 

• Like 2

Why do people think oh I can get round that. It can not seriously apply to me. What if I say I suffer from.That's just for ordinary folk I'm special. I know its a pain in the ass. Just follow guidelines. Keep every body safe and then maybe get back to some semblance of ordinary life .

Till the gov fuck it up again with key worker and compassionate leave (once here you can stay as long as you like) and lets not forget people buying residences so as to circumnavigate residency laws.

Just saying. Medication time :pinch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're spot on DB.

There's a pandemic going on and the rules have to be belt and braces and made for the lowest common selfish arrogant me me me denominator.

Aye it's shit but not as totally and utterly shit as the shit alternative.,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

This entire week has felt very arbitrary and petty tbh, almost as if the Govt were stuck between satisfying the lockdown forever brigade, and letting out those who want to do some work, see family etc. This weekend in particular, it would have been sensible to allow families and friends to meet as normal, even if they still persevered with their plan to open non essential business and leisure facilities on Monday. I strongly suspect that a lot of people will be ignoring the rules this weekend and will be seeing friends and families. 

Totally agree but they are trying to satisfy the lockdown for ever brigade with some saying they’re keeping kids off school, trying to get extra paid time off as concerned etc 

NSC pools can’t reopen until Tuesday as staff need all of Monday to refresh safety training they’ve obviously forgotten in 3 weeks!!!

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

satisfy the lockdown for ever brigade 

There is no "lockdown forever brigade". Except in your head.

The reality is that most normal people strongly support the approach which the IOM has taken and feel very lucky to be living here. You and aka @notwell being part of a tiny minority.

You opposed this lockdown and have continually irresponsibly called for a relaxation of the border measures. Even as life and work over the past year has been able to continue almost as normal for most people here - in sharp contrast with almost everywhere nearby.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Why do people think oh I can get round that. It can not seriously apply to me. What if I say I suffer from.That's just for ordinary folk I'm special. I know its a pain in the ass. Just follow guidelines. Keep every body safe and then maybe get back to some semblance of ordinary life .

Till the gov fuck it up again with key worker and compassionate leave (once here you can stay as long as you like) and lets not forget people buying residences so as to circumnavigate residency laws.

Just saying. Medication time :pinch:

No one that I have seen on here us trying to get round the rules, just explaining how arbitrary they appear, particularly over this weekend.  It is often a sign of a poor or unconfident manager that manages beyond what is really necessary. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Banker said:

Totally agree but they are trying to satisfy the lockdown for ever brigade with some saying they’re keeping kids off school, trying to get extra paid time off as concerned etc 

NSC pools can’t reopen until Tuesday as staff need all of Monday to refresh safety training they’ve obviously forgotten in 3 weeks!!!

They put the immersion heater on yesterday so the waters warm by Tue!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No one that I have seen on here us trying to get round the rules, just explaining how arbitrary they appear, particularly over this weekend.  It is often a sign of a poor or unconfident manager that manages beyond what is really necessary. 

Who knows what is really necessary? eg 14 days? 21 days? They are more or less arbitrary in any case, we know that.

Maybe we could all be down Jaks/1886 just now watching the footie, quaffing beer, and we would have 'got away with it' but we'll never know.

Ashie comes over as a bit of knacker trying to convince people how "you know me Paul/Tim/Anyone....I'm always cautious".

But just now there is no room for confident management. That would be like Boris going round Covid patients in the early days shaking hands, no mask, and ebulliently telling them - and the nation - there is nothing to worry about.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

There is no "lockdown forever brigade". Except in your head.

The reality is that most normal people strongly support the approach which the IOM has taken and feel very lucky to be living here. You and aka @notwell being part of a tiny minority.

You opposed this lockdown and have continually irresponsibly called for a relaxation of the border measures. Even as life and work over the past year has been able to continue almost as normal for most people here - in sharp contrast with almost everywhere nearby.

I haven’t mentioned borders for some time unlike you and your keep the boarders closed brigade!

Not sure where you live but there’s definitely a keep the lockdown brigade in force over here mostly retired government workers like yourself 

• Like 3

My kids secondary school didn't do any online teaching Thursday or Friday, as the staff were preparing to return on Monday 🤣

Offices, shops, factories etc implemented social distancing at the drop of a hat and will turn it off again without any fuss.

Wonder if Zurich will do no work for two day so the staff can prepare to do their jobs?

• Like 1