IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Isolation hotels are the only safe option. 

You cry about the personal freedoms of those who choose to travel. What about the personal freedoms of those who don't travel but get locked down when travellers re-import the virus? 

John Wright posted earlier that tags were trialled but the Island's geography made them unreliable. 

I call bollox.

Manx Telecom have 4G coverage for 99% of the island geography and population.

(oh, and always be aware of the saying that advocates are wrong 50% of the time)

6 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

What's the tangible benefit to the tagging? We have high compliance with the measures anyway. We've had a handful of high profile breaches and that's it.

For the cost of it actually being set up, versus the cost of nosy neighbours calling the COVID line, the value simply isn't there.

I don't want it or think its necessary. 

Would simply be to placate those who think people isolating can't be trusted.

31 minutes ago, pongo said:

Not making selfish or unnecessary journeys until this thing is sorted is a much better idea.

It should be medical treatment and genuinely essential workers only.

What about someone coming over on compassionate grounds for their sons funeral, suppose a miserable t*** like you would ban them as well 

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

I have an IQ that is triple figures.  That qualifies me to say there is no risk to guys coming and knocking on your door.

Plus the fact that none of them.havs caught COVID

How many of the people they've been knocking on the door of have been symptomatic and shedding?

If your IQ is triple figures, that could easily put you in the average bracket. Well done.

The whole point is that the average person scores 100.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

I call bollox.

Manx Telecom have 4G coverage for 99% of the island geography and population.

(oh, and always be aware of the saying that advocates are wrong 50% of the time)

Why do we want to tag people anyway? Tagging doesn't stop the spread of the virus. All it would do is let you know that someone has broken isolation. 

They could get on a bus, go into town.. by the time someone is sent round to their address it's already too late. 

• Like 1

Agreed (to AlanShimmin 8 mins ago)but an unannounced visit might not catch the minority idiot but does increase risk to the visitor and the visited. That risk is hard to quantify but it is not zero.

Edit to add in brackets

Edited by ballaughbiker

1 minute ago, ballaughbiker said:

Agreed but an unannounced visit might not catch the minority idiot but does increase risk to the visitor and the visited. That risk is hard to quantify but it is not zero.

Well, from what I've heard, the checkers essentially want the isolatee to wave through the window, which is pretty low risk, whilst verifying that they're in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Why do we want to tag people anyway? Tagging doesn't stop the spread of the virus. All it would do is let you know that someone has broken isolation. 

They could get on a bus, go into town.. by the time someone is sent round to their address it's already too late. 

Isle of Man: Tag 'em....track 'em...jail 'em.  Or not. Their choice.

UK: 40% of people beak isolation rules. Who really gives a toss eh?

Isle of Man - Covid Free

UK: Basket case.

Go figure, as the saying goes.

Edited by Barlow

6 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Why put up 30mph speed limit signs? They don't stop speeding.

Well, from what I've heard, the checkers essentially want the isolatee to wave through the window, which is pretty low risk, whilst verifying that they're in.

If only.

Strangely enough, I did suggest to CO a few days ago that if the property was suitable (so not flats etc) they wouldn't even need to get out of their vehicle if they just rang and said 'come to the window'. That too would be zero risk if they made it policy.

Edited by ballaughbiker

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

What about someone coming over on compassionate grounds for their sons funeral, suppose a miserable t*** like you would ban them as well 

It seems like a genuine need. I can certainly see a case for somehow trying to accommodate that.

Where as taking someone to university clearly isn't given that adulthood is one of the entry requirements and they don't need their hand held.

• Like 2

I have an IQ that is triple figures.  That qualifies me to say there is no risk to guys coming and knocking on your door.

Impressive qualification, maybe, but irrelevant.

Plus the fact that none of them.havs caught COVID

1) Unverifiable 2) anecdotal