IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

So with the benefit of hindsight.

Was the lockdown necessary and di they handle it correctly?

Personly I would have gone sooner for a few days while they figured out what was going on.  I would have used tech to track and trace people, and I would have reopened everything last Monday

Exactly this. Once you have worked out and closed all the possible paths and those people are in isolation, there's no need for the rest of the IoM to also be in lockdown. It's still unclear as to whether we actually had any unexplained community cases as the genomics back from Liverpool apparently solved 3 of them, but nothing has been said about the other 2. The full Island lockdown should only be used as a short measure in the case of unexplained community cases whilst track and trace with the help of genomics, work out the chains of transmission and close them down. The last week has been overkill, this weekend even more so, costing shops, pubs and restaurants vital business. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Was it ever officially announced  that the 3 wk 'Circuit Break' was being extended to tomorrow?

Did it just murf into this through verbals of 14 days clear required?

Did Comin approve the extension behind closed doors? Could they do so again?

Announced here https://covid19.gov.im/news-releases-statements/chief-ministers-statement-on-covid-19-21-january-2021/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think, as evidenced by Guernsey, we needed some way to work out how much it had spread, and who it had spread to. Whilst acting to limit that spread just in case.

I think that equally, we got incredibly lucky, with a fairly small group of people actually catching it and passing it on.

We keep hearing the word "lucky" bandied about.   Perhaps it wasn't luck, rather a decisive movement from government that got things under control.

Edited by TerryFuchwit
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

We keep heating the word "lucky" bandied about.   Perhaps it wasn't luck, rather a decisive movement from government that got things under control.

Dr Ewart herself said we were very ‘fortunate’ with the results, I think that suggests an element of luck. 

• Like 1