IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Yep, the border control in face of the Coronavirus epidemic was abysmal.

Isle of Man went ape over a single jetskier.

England has had 1000s pouring into the county in seacraft throughout the lockdowns.

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Please don't think for one minute that there aren't some in IOM that have been and continue to be economically disenfranchised.

I didnt say there wasn't anyone who hadn't been impacted financially. 

But I am sure any rational person would agree that it is far worse over in the UK financially than it is here.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I didnt say there wasn't anyone who hadn't been impacted financially. 

But I am sure any rational person would agree that it is far worse over in the UK financially than it is here.

In Uk they were paying 80% of wages upto £2500 , in IOM they’re paying £280 pw so support schemes are far worse!!

More in retail/hospitality will lose jobs but many over here have also with unemployment increasing 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Pro-rata...if the UK had jailed the same amount of people we had...you're talking about them jailing upwards of 25,000 people...nearly a third of the current overcrowded UK prison system.

But the Island didn't jail them all at the same time - it's been spread over nearly a year.  And they were all comparatively short term most people were out after two weeks - effectively a lot of them were being quarantined in Jurby because they couldn't be trusted to follow isolation.  So burden on the UK prison system wouldn't be as high as you claim.

The UK Government didn't enforce the rules because the people running it would have been quite happy to break the rules themselves (and did) and they didn't want to suffer themselves.

13 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Is it just me that can't get his head around why my mother in law has been refused a compassionate visit where she is prepared to do all the isolation and testing 3 times since last June, yet even now at level 5 I can travel to the UK and back to collect a fluffy kitten?

The compassionate visit exemptions are only for funerals of close family members, visiting seriously or terminally ill relatives not general visits as far as I know. However buy or rent a house or get a job exemption from s also back on as an option!

13 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Is it just me that can't get his head around why my mother in law has been refused a compassionate visit where she is prepared to do all the isolation and testing 3 times since last June, yet even now at level 5 I can travel to the UK and back to collect a fluffy kitten?

I suppose the problem is the minute you start letting people in like your mother in law you have to have a very black and white definition of what a compassionate reason is.  Otherwise you end up with that dickhead in Northern Island trolling all out MHKs and the AG even more than he does already.

In addition, whilst you can go and get a fluffy kitten from the UK you clearly shouldn't be.  Which the vast majority of people, i assume, would adhere to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

The compassionate visit exemptions are only for funerals of close family members, visiting seriously or terminally ill relatives not general visits as far as I know. However buy or rent a house or get a job exemption from s also back on as an option!

That is the case now but want meant to be last year when at level four.  Loads of people got in for no good reason.  Probably had family in the civil service.

The fact that people can go away to get pets now but not relatives is bonkers

Edited by horatiotheturd

2 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I suppose the problem is the minute you start letting people in like your mother in law you have to have a very black and white definition of what a compassionate reason is.  Otherwise you end up with that dickhead in Northern Island trolling all out MHKs and the AG even more than he does already.

In addition, whilst you can go and get a fluffy kitten from the UK you clearly shouldn't be.  Which the vast majority of people, i assume, would adhere to.

On the fluffy kitties/dogs question Barber is trying to change rules so presumably someone will go away collect several dogs and drop them off around the island with only the delivery person isolating. Agree with Howie on this not worth risk in allowing 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mhk-questions-pet-self-isolation-rules/

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the Island didn't jail them all at the same time - it's been spread over nearly a year.  And they were all comparatively short term most people were out after two weeks - effectively a lot of them were being quarantined in Jurby because they couldn't be trusted to follow isolation.  So burden on the UK prison system wouldn't be as high as you claim.

The UK Government didn't enforce the rules because the people running it would have been quite happy to break the rules themselves (and did) and they didn't want to suffer themselves.

They've been in continual lockdown in the UK in one form or another, we haven't, so disagree.

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

They didn't close the borders, they didn't lockdown quickly enough (twice), they opened schools and threatened legal action for those who did not send their children in only to close schools the next day, they paid billions to their mates to build a track and trace that has never worked, they had no isolate system, there was no help for those who could not work, no support for those isolating, they did not follow the timeframe for vaccinations, they refused to listen to the scientists, they didn't attend Cobra meetings, they didn't support businesses, and they ignored the Cygnus report.

That's just off the top of my head.

Anything else?

The aquaduct??

50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Who is this?

He was in the news spouting all sorts of shite about how what was happening was illegal and a breach of his human rights.

He trolls Comin and the MHKs and the AG.  To the point of harassment.  Im amazed they haven't issued some sort of Desist Order on him with a view to excluding him from the island.