IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Apart from the human rights bit which I have to be honest I don't know enough about and cant be arsed to research, I can't disagree with a word of this?

Would you?

"

A grandfather has called for Manx border restrictions to be loosened to allow immediate family members to visit the island.

Dave Smith, of Derry, Northern Ireland, has been separated from his children and grandchildren here since the emergency border restrictions were imposed in March.

Mr Smith has emailed the Chief Minister to express frustration at the island’s border policy, which currently lets key workers enter, but not immediate family members.

He told the Manx Independent: ’My biggest case against the government is the fact that they’re allowing other people in, these essential workers that aren’t essential at all.

’Yet immediate families are not being classed as essential.

’Parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters are essential for family wellbeing.

’People wanting to move to the island are given priority over families.’

He spoke of the recent case of five visiting welders from England, who had been granted key worker exemption certificates to carry out repairs on the Manx Electric Railway.

The five were jailed for 14 days because they broke Manx emergency Covid-19 laws by not travelling straight to their accommodation after arriving on the ferry - with one later testing positive for Covid-19 while in prison at Jurby.

Mr Smith has even been searching for alternate ways to be permitted to travel to the island so he can be reunited with his family, saying: ’I’ve looked into renting a house on the island, applying for a job on the island, even travelling to Guernsey, self isolating for two weeks and then travelling to the island - but the cost of that was horrendous.’

He added: ’The Isle of Man government is just all talk right now. It’s been seven months like this and they haven’t done anything.’

Mr Smith called the Manx government’s efforts towards allowing immediate family access to the island ’lackadaisical’, pointing out that the coronavirus pandemic makes no difference to UN human rights conventions regarding the separation of families - of which he says the government is in direct violation.

He said: ’Covid is creating mental stress across the world, can you imagine what it’s doing to families?

’Can you imagine the trauma that they are creating, especially for young children?’

He argues that as level 4 allows Manx residents to come and go freely, the government’s claim that restrictions on immediate family protect the island from Covid is ’null and void’.

He believes it would be safe to allow immediate family to visit, explaining: ’We’re not talking about opening the floodgates.

’We’re not talking about thousands of people.

’It would be a limited amount of people, it’s manageable for the Isle of Man government.

’Testing could be set up, like they’ve done in Guernsey.

’The Manx government could have put in place procedures for family members coming to the island just as they did with returning Manx residents.

’We need the Manx Government to step up admit it was wrong and that immediate family will be given the same entitlement and rights to enter the island as does a returning Manx resident.

’Test people on their arrival, give the businesses on the island a well-deserved boost in business, I’m sure there are many accommodation businesses on the island willing to house immediate family for the self-isolation.’

Asked whether his family could visit him in the UK, he said: ’A lot are fearful to leave the island, you might not want your family to travel across to the UK to come and see you.’"

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Apart from the human rights bit which I have to be honest I don't know enough about and cant be arsed to research, I can't disagree with a word of this?

Would you?

"

A grandfather has called for Manx border restrictions to be loosened to allow immediate family members to visit the island.

Dave Smith, of Derry, Northern Ireland, has been separated from his children and grandchildren here since the emergency border restrictions were imposed in March.

Mr Smith has emailed the Chief Minister to express frustration at the island’s border policy, which currently lets key workers enter, but not immediate family members.

He told the Manx Independent: ’My biggest case against the government is the fact that they’re allowing other people in, these essential workers that aren’t essential at all.

’Yet immediate families are not being classed as essential.

’Parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters are essential for family wellbeing.

’People wanting to move to the island are given priority over families.’

He spoke of the recent case of five visiting welders from England, who had been granted key worker exemption certificates to carry out repairs on the Manx Electric Railway.

The five were jailed for 14 days because they broke Manx emergency Covid-19 laws by not travelling straight to their accommodation after arriving on the ferry - with one later testing positive for Covid-19 while in prison at Jurby.

Mr Smith has even been searching for alternate ways to be permitted to travel to the island so he can be reunited with his family, saying: ’I’ve looked into renting a house on the island, applying for a job on the island, even travelling to Guernsey, self isolating for two weeks and then travelling to the island - but the cost of that was horrendous.’

He added: ’The Isle of Man government is just all talk right now. It’s been seven months like this and they haven’t done anything.’

Mr Smith called the Manx government’s efforts towards allowing immediate family access to the island ’lackadaisical’, pointing out that the coronavirus pandemic makes no difference to UN human rights conventions regarding the separation of families - of which he says the government is in direct violation.

He said: ’Covid is creating mental stress across the world, can you imagine what it’s doing to families?

’Can you imagine the trauma that they are creating, especially for young children?’

He argues that as level 4 allows Manx residents to come and go freely, the government’s claim that restrictions on immediate family protect the island from Covid is ’null and void’.

He believes it would be safe to allow immediate family to visit, explaining: ’We’re not talking about opening the floodgates.

’We’re not talking about thousands of people.

’It would be a limited amount of people, it’s manageable for the Isle of Man government.

’Testing could be set up, like they’ve done in Guernsey.

’The Manx government could have put in place procedures for family members coming to the island just as they did with returning Manx residents.

’We need the Manx Government to step up admit it was wrong and that immediate family will be given the same entitlement and rights to enter the island as does a returning Manx resident.

’Test people on their arrival, give the businesses on the island a well-deserved boost in business, I’m sure there are many accommodation businesses on the island willing to house immediate family for the self-isolation.’

Asked whether his family could visit him in the UK, he said: ’A lot are fearful to leave the island, you might not want your family to travel across to the UK to come and see you.’"

Yeh, I could disagree with plenty of it.

It's a logistic nightmare (trying to assess people are related etc) plus it does potentially open the floodgates.  You could quite easily add 20% to the population if everyone on the island wanted to bring over family off island.  

We're in the same situation in our house.  But we accept it.  We've family bereavements in the UK.  We've got people affected by that who want to come over.  Sure, it's tough, but right now isnt the time.

The guy is question is a grade one dickhead.   The harassment of the AG and all MHKs is dreadful.

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Yeh, I could disagree with plenty of it.

It's a logistic nightmare (trying to assess people are related etc) plus it does potentially open the floodgates.  You could quite easily add 20% to the population if everyone on the island wanted to bring over family off island.  

We're in the same situation in our house.  But we accept it.  We've family bereavements in the UK.  We've got people affected by that who want to come over.  Sure, it's tough, but right now isnt the time.

The guy is question is a grade one dickhead.   The harassment of the AG and all MHKs is dreadful.

You think something like 18000 people would come and isolate and get tested 3 times?

I think you are very very wrong.

Divide that by 10, the risk is tiny compared to what we were doing last November

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

You think something like 18000 people would come and isolate and get tested 3 times?

I think you are very very wrong.

Divide that by 10, the risk is tiny compared to what we were doing last November

In the short term (next couple of months) we should keep influx to a minimum.  It's horrific over there and hopefully over the next couple of months a combination of vaccination, lock down and better seasonal weather will combine to change things and the general risk to minimal.

By the way, I'm not a borders closed tin hatter.  I want them open because I want to travel (for work and pleasure).  We have family we want to come here.

And it'll be a lot more than 1800 coming here.

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

In the short term (next couple of months) we should keep influx to a minimum.  It's horrific over there and hopefully over the next couple of months a combination of vaccination, lock down and better seasonal weather will combine to change things and the general risk to minimal.

By the way, I'm not a borders closed tin hatter.  I want them open because I want to travel (for work and pleasure).  We have family we want to come here.

And it'll be a lot more than 1800 coming here.

Even if it is 20,000, if they isolate and test  what is the issue?

Other than boosting the economy what is going to happen if they all stayed in isolation  until shown to be clear? I don't get what rhe concern is

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Everyone has some family across they'd love to bring over. The way the turd goes on its like its just him. 

Not at all.

Loads of people are struggling and there is no valid reason not to allow family if sponsored by a resident and prepared to follow the rules.

Edited by horatiotheturd

We have done this before.

Say 20,000 did come over in a month (they wouldn't)

Take a random 20,000 people from the UK population of 86 million and work out how many of them would be admitted to hospital in a 14 day period that would be their isolation.

It a tiny tiny number, and the only risk here is if someone coming and isolating ended up in Nobles.  It wouldn't happen.

Do the maths, work it out and show me inam wrong rather than just panicking.

Don't forget to bear in mind that those traveling wouldn't be in the vulnerable categories. 

Good luck making it look high risk

Edited by horatiotheturd

15 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Even if it is 20,000, if they isolate and test  what is the issue?

Other than boosting the economy what is going to happen if they all stayed in isolation  until shown to be clear? I don't get what rhe concern is

Jesus, use some common sense.

We've just had a live case of not that many people entering the island and look what happened.  

Could you imagine the amount of households having to isolate.  Kids taken out of school etc.

At some point a number of that huge volume of households won't follow the rules and all hell will break loose.

Like I've said, I'm a pro active borders open asap person.  But it is crystal clear at the moment that the best overall approach is the one we have now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Jesus, use some common sense.

We've just had a live case of not that many people entering the island and look what happened.  

Could you imagine the amount of households having to isolate.  Kids taken out of school etc.

At some point a number of that huge volume of households won't follow the rules and all hell will break loose.

Like I've said, I'm a pro active borders open asap person.  But it is crystal clear at the moment that the best overall approach is the one we have now.

The live case came in before testing of arrivals.

Try again 

To help with your maths its not even anyone out of 20,000 who would end up in hospital in 14 days.  Sure you can work the rest out for yourself.   Or show me different?

Edited by horatiotheturd