IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

We have proved that isolation has killed it off here, no new cases for 50+ odd days. So surely isolating people on return is a small price to pay? We are lucky we can actually do it here - surrounded by a sea border.

Personally, as in the Stalag Comis fiasco, isolating without testing is a waste of time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

So we should just lock away the old and vulnerable then?

We have proved that isolation has killed it off here, no new cases for 50+ odd days. So surely isolating people on return is a small price to pay? We are lucky we can actually do it here - surrounded by a sea border.

I still think we should practice isolation on return till the vulnerable have been vaccinated and the infection rate and mortality rate are greatly reduced. Otherwise a free-for-all will mean that 20% of the locals here will lead awful lives for years - and even those who need other conventional hospital treatment, will find the hospital too busy to be able to sort them.  

Let's just assume that no effective vaccine is forthcoming, as is highly likely, what then...Treatments will improve and our understanding of the virus will get better, but using your figures,  the other 80% need to keep going otherwise far greater consequences will befall the current and future generations. We cannot stay in a holding pattern waiting for a vaccine that may never arrive. I am not a young man, and frankly this is not about me as I will be able to ride this out, but my concerns are weighted more toward s future generations and for that I do not apologise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Why would anyone still be on MERA? If you've not gone back to work now there's something really wrong.

There are a lot of people still receiving MERA.

There seems to be some sort of mis-informed mindset by many that all is well here because we are virus free & down the pub.

The financial consequences coming soon & medical blowback as a result of delayed diagnosis or postponed operations will be a stark wake up call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

So we should just lock away the old and vulnerable then?

I still think we should practice isolation on return till the vulnerable have been vaccinated and the infection rate and mortality rate are greatly reduced. Otherwise a free-for-all will mean that 20% of the locals here will lead awful lives for years - and even those who need other conventional hospital treatment, will find the hospital too busy to be able to sort them.  

Well yeh we should sort of lock away the old and vulnerable because the are the minority in real terms.

We are going to need to live with it, cope with it and function as an economy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

There are a lot of people still receiving MERA.

There seems to be some sort of mis-informed mindset by many that all is well here because we are virus free & down the pub.

The financial consequences coming soon & medical blowback as a result of delayed diagnosis or postponed operations will be a stark wake up call.

It'll all be worth it because one death from Covid is one too many.:thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

isolating without testing is a waste of time.

No it isn't.  Isolation is the best way to keep covid out of the island.  Testing, if carried out at the wrong time, may give false reassurance if negative. And there is no single 'right time' to carry out a test, if asymptomatic.  You could argue therefore that testing is irrelevant as you're going to have to isolate anyway.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

No it isn't.  Isolation is the best way to keep covid out of the island.  Testing, if carried out at the wrong time, may give false reassurance if negative. And there is no single 'right time' to carry out a test, if asymptomatic.  You could argue therefore that testing is irrelevant as you're going to have to isolate anyway.

How accurate are the antibody tests?

ETA: And why is it taking so long for the results of the tests already done being made public?

Edited by Andy Onchan

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is there a reason why we are not testing to maximum capacity?

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Is there a reason why we are not testing to maximum capacity?

Who do you suggest we test, that we don't currently think need to be tested? There has to be a testing strategy, rather than a free-for-all just to use up the kits.  The main reason is that we don't have sufficient people who need to be tested.  Which is a good thing, isn't it?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How accurate are the antibody tests?

ETA: And why is it taking so long for the results of the tests already done being made public?

Specificity 99.7%, Sensitivity depends on the time point you offer the test - manufacturers quote 100% at 40 days (I think), but 93% at 14 days.

Accuracy is a less well-defined term and depends on how many positive cases and how many negative cases you have.  But given those figures above I'd say it's 'very accurate'.

The first round of testing is almost complete and results will be made public as soon as the paper has been written up and verified.  Individual test results are given out within days - I was negative.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I too am concerned about the complacency. How many have already been fined or jailed for breaching lock-down rules? Even allegedly sensible people are under investigation for it.

I'm expecting by mid/end August we'll be on lockdown again - or at least major businesses shut down - after a couple of pond life head off to Spain and return and head to Quids Inn or Jaks for a beer. And all the good work undone within weeks.

Just on pubs and restaurants alone, potentially £millions lost to the economy and numerous unemployed - due to a couple of idiots. And unfortunately, the island is not short of them.

I dont think there will be another lockdown on the scale we saw in march we cant afford it. People seem to have forgotten the whole point of lockdown was to ease the strain on the NHS not eradicate the virus and basically slow down the spread. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Who do you suggest we test, that we don't currently think need to be tested? There has to be a testing strategy, rather than a free-for-all just to use up the kits.  The main reason is that we don't have sufficient people who need to be tested.  Which is a good thing, isn't it?

Well i am thinking about returnees at the moment.   There should be a regime whereby 7 days later people are being tested and if the test is negative then release them from quarantine.

I think Guernsey are trialling this now?  Seems a minimal risk strategy to me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It seemed to me that you could isolate folks for fouteen days and then release asymptomatic spreaders into the general populace?

Or is that not correct.