IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

If you were driving someone in a taxi off the boat who was carrying the SA variant. Would you like to know later that day or in five working days time?

We shouldn't be using taxis which don't separate the driver and the passengers. Or, if we do, then taxi drivers picking up these fares should currently be permanently self isolating.

And people should be isolated on arrival. Bus to hotel. 28 days.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Oh, for fuck's sake Pongo. It could be any one of a variety of things. You know this. Never mind what should or shouldn't happen.  People don't always do what they should or shouldn't do.  That's why we need the best solution, the best chance, and we've got the best chance on Island, and we're not using it.

Should should shoulds but didn't, is what will get us back into lockdown again.

We really need to let the RG thing go.

What will get us back into lockdown isnt how quickly or not genomic testing can be done.

If everyone does as they should and we test as we do then we should be fine.  And as rates drop in the uk, which they are, then we can move towards a more normalised existence. 

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

We 'should' be anticipating that many won't, not that they will. THAT'S why we need the superior testing that happens here to scoop up the ones that slip through the net.

NO, I won't let the DRG thing go. It was shameful, it still is shameful, and it forever be shameful and a disservice to the Manx people.

I disagree.  There's more to it than meets the eye.

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Our government 'should' have informed the public that they knew COVID-19 was in the community the minute they knew.  They let thousands of people go out and mix on the busiest night of the year.

The government 'should' have made an announcement to the public on January the 1st.

It doesn't work like that in real life.  It was well into the afternoon of the 31st before they had any real idea there was an issue.  There wasn't sufficient information at the time to send the Facebook Karen's into a tail spin.    People were contacted when it was correct and possible to do so.  (I'm not sure it would have altered anything anyway).

It may surprise you to know that there are a lot of people working really long hours with a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.  Doing an almost impossible job whilst people constantly slag them off at every twist and turn.  It's tiresome to listen to.

On the plus side, there's (usually) a boat in the morning etc as Piebaps would say.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It doesn't work like that in real life.  It was well into the afternoon of the 31st before they had any real idea there was an issue.  There wasn't sufficient information at the time to send the Facebook Karen's into a tail spin.    People were contacted when it was correct and possible to do so.  (I'm not sure it would have altered anything anyway).

It may surprise you to know that there are a lot of people working really long hours with a lot of responsibility on their shoulders.  Doing an almost impossible job whilst people constantly slag them off at every twist and turn.  It's tiresome to listen to.

On the plus side, there's (usually) a boat in the morning etc as Piebaps would say.

You really are a government apologist, sure you’re not Pongo?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

At least you're earning again. Huzzah.

They aren't slow. Apparently a huge number have been done this week. That's fantastic and everyone involved should be congratulated.

Just imagine trying to actually arrange something like that.

13000 doses in the fridge.

You don't think it could be done better?

29 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

... I fully expect Covid to become a part of everyday life in the future.

We are not at that point yet.  In 6 months I think we will be.

I sincerely hope you're right. My own thoughts are 12-18 months for the UK, for a variety of reasons. Compliance of the population being the achilles heel. For cultural and religious reasons a great many people (millions, perhaps?), will not have the vaccine, there's a mammoth task right there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

You really are a government apologist, sure you’re not Pongo?

I'm not an apologist for anyone.  It's actually about having a balanced view.

I dont agree with many things that Pongo posts.  But he or she seems balanced enough to realise that trying to navigate our way through this crisis isn't easy and is isnt going to be perfect.

Yet on here? We seem to have experts on it.   Vaccinating 50000 people (a logistical exercise never undertaken here) and suddenly we have experts on here.  Seem to know all about it.   

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He must be taking the back shift today.

The voice of Reason is doing the early shift.

Pongo's the floater.

It's always very telling when the angry brigade get going.  Full of expert knowledge and ideas.  Always know better.  Government terrible.

I speak to people every single day in the UK.  It is fucking paradise here compared to there.

Think about that.  Instead of foaming at the mouth about the "injustice" of ......well, nothing whatsoever. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

I sincerely hope you're right. My own thoughts are 12-18 months for the UK, for a variety of reasons. Compliance of the population being the achilles heel. For cultural and religious reasons a great many people (millions, perhaps?), will not have the vaccine, there's a mammoth task right there. 

No one has to have the vaccination.   It's their choice and their risk i guess.  I know people that won't have it.  Close relatives of mine (don't ask me why).  Good luck to them.  But you won't find the world waiting for them.

4 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

If everyone does as they should ... ...And as rates drop in the uk, which they are, then we can move towards a more normalised existence. 

But there's too many who aren't doing as they should. All too often we see many thousands of commuters on London tube trains, at rush hour for instance and it's plainly obvious that social-distancing is impossible, ineffective face coverings being worn and with a lack of clean air circulation it's nigh on impossible to stop circulation and transmission of the virus. Already it is being suggested that in those situations a hospital grade mask should be worn, and disposable gloves to reduce fomite contamination. When we see the videos of hospital staff doing their bit, just look at the level of protection they're employing. These many thousands of people travel every day using a cashmere scarf, silk kerchief or snood, some with their beak protruding over the edge, uncovered, as if their beak has some magical internal filter of its own and will carry on using the same covering day in day out believing it provides protection when in reality, it's joke. The all-important viral loads in such environments must be at nuclear-level! And the only reason rates are dropping is during and shortly after the periods of lockdown, and as we've witnessed, as soon as lockdown rules are relaxed the numbers of infections and deaths increase. It will continue until people take full responsibility for themselves. While one person isn't safe, none of us are. The reason we're successful on this Island is because the vast majority of us are compliant. 

Edited by quilp
Spit and polish...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

At least you're earning again. Huzzah.

They aren't slow. Apparently a huge number have been done this week. That's fantastic and everyone involved should be congratulated.

Just imagine trying to actually arrange something like that.

Do you have any idea what a dick that post makes you?

I have lived here my whole life and contributed a load of money to the system in tax, ni, paying employees and generating VAT over the years.  Conservatively I would say its seven figures paid in.

A couple of rough years in my life and I found myself for the first time ever in a situation where I would have benefited from a bit of short term help having been forced not to earn for a few weeks.

What did I get from government considering all I have paid in? Nothing 

I got a warning from moderator yesterday for being abusive.  I have no idea why when other people are calling each other all sorts of names. 

If you can't imagine organising something like that then maybe you should have led a more productive life?

Its just a  logistics exercise with a consideration for the supply chain.