IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Today's subject brought to you by TF is selfish teachers, the DOE (who are they?) and Christmas travellers (that old chestnut). 

It's a good one. An emotive subject guaranteed to get everyone riled and ready to argue for six/seven pages while he ties you in knot (swells).

Don't get suckered suckers.

Last night I did.  Don't be like me.

Terry again misses the point, the people who travelled were allowed to within certain restrictions.  As far as we know, all stuck to those restrictions.  So, rather than the recent outbreak being down to "selfish" (nicely emotive) people it was down ineffective (nicely objective) measures. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The real problem was the number of selfish people who should have remained on the island rather than went to the UK for Christmas and New Year on unnecessary trips.    Give it a miss ffs.  Like most of us have for twelve months where trips have been cancelled.

It was comical that about 15 teachers wouldn't be teaching in the first two weeks.of term because they were isolating.  Dept of Education should have been all over that but I believe they devolved any decisions down to head teachers.

Unnecessary according to who - you. There was no laws preventing them going and as long as they adhered to the isolation regs then they did no wrong. Personally, I would love to go and see family in the UK but can't really self-isolate for three weeks as I have a business to run.

You could do with having a word with yourself...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Today's subject brought to you by TF is selfish teachers, the DOE (who are they?) and Christmas travellers (that old chestnut). 

It's a good one. An emotive subject guaranteed to get everyone riled and ready to argue for six/seven pages while he ties you in knot (swells).

Don't get suckered suckers.

Last night I did.  Don't be like me.

Yeh, please don't.

I'm not sure how Christmas travellers and teachers are an old chestnut exactly.

Any normal and sane person could agree that given the escalation in covid in the UK in the last 6 to 8 weeks of 2020 you would need to be thinking long and hard about whether the trip was REALLY necessary.

We had a reasonable volume of people (not just teachers) who travelled unnecessarily.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Unnecessary according to who - you. There was no laws preventing them going and as long as they adhered to the isolation regs then they did no wrong. Personally, I would love to go and see family in the UK but can't really self-isolate for three weeks as I have a business to run.

I didnt suggest any laws had been broken by the act of going to the UK.

It just seems to me (and I'm not alone in this thinking) that a number of people could have just done what you (or indeed i) did which was stay here.

• Like 2

End of the day, the manufacturers of these vaccines recommend two doses approximately 3 weeks apart. 

The Island's health service is following that advice and ensuring there is a stock of vaccine to do give second doses as recommended by the manufacturer. 

The British government has gone for a one shot approach to begin with, seemingly as they think it's the best option while they attempt to get their sky high figures under control. 

We're in the fortunate position of being able to do things properly and by the instructions. 

So do I defend 13,000 doses being in storage ready for use? Yes I do. 

It will take a little longer to get it all done properly, but it's getting done. Chester Street comes online next week(and a bit) which will boost numbers further. 

I do find horatiotheturds fixation on throwing open the borders and allowing us to be overrun with covid fascinating. 

Be grateful you don't live in Australia or New Zealand... they're not looking to re-open their borders until 2022 at the earliest. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

End of the day, 

It will take a little longer to get it all done properly, 

Actually, at the end of the day, two doses twelve weeks apart or two doses three or 4 weeks apart,  takes no longer to administer to a given population, all other factors, availability of vaccine and delivery rate, being equal.

36 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

My family could only see other members of their family in the UK for one day at Christmas. Several people I am aware of went swanning off the island and stayed with family in the UK - that IS breaking the law (UK law).

So if my UK based family have to abide by the rules, what makes it OK for someone from the island to go across to stay with or visit family?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

Good article on bbc news on uk position

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55941234

We are still none the wiser on the IOM Govt. plan to open us up.

Is it everyone vaxed before we drop isolation on return, over 50’s, over 60’s?

Edited by Nom de plume

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

The virus doesn't care for legal loopholes and regulations.

Not going to see family in UK due to not being able to really self-isolate for 3 weeks shouldn't even come into it.

Just now, Barlow said:

Not going to see family in UK due to not being able to really self-isolate for 3 weeks shouldn't even come into it.

who mentioned loopholes?

30 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Unless you know the circumstances of the visit eg family funerals, serious ill health of families which I know has caused some visits then I don’t think loopholes as you call it comes into it

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

We've also seen this week that the one shot approach may not actually protect the elderly from infection 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/single-dose-of-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-may-not-protect-elderly-from-covid-19-infection-qgphrzfb6

Equally, we have seen for the Oxford vaccine that a 12 week interval may be better than a 4 week interval, so it may be that the schedule will have to vary depending upon which vaccine is being given.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n326

• Like 1