IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

No it's not, and it won't be until we're at 85 - 95% vaccination levels. Come back in September with the same statement and you'll be more factually accurate.

Yes it is! Announcement in May on next steps once over 50s finished 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

But those 'facts' don't have any context or meaning on their own. 

I'm intrigued as to why there are so many seemingly normal people who have come to the conclusion that they are right and all the health professionals who advise governments across the world are wrong.

Once it's all over and enquiries are done it'll come out everywhere that politicians who followed economists over epidemiologists actually caused more damage to the economy by trying to keep things going.

There was a two part BBC documentary that finished last week on the US's response to covid.   There was an expert from the US team tasked with modelling and planning for disease outbreaks such as covid, part of Homeland Security, I think.  The modelling proved accurate and they had the plans to respond, the only factor which they didn't and couldn't take into account was politics. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There was a two part BBC documentary that finished last week on the US's response to covid.   There was an expert from the US team tasked with modelling and planning for disease outbreaks such as covid, part of Homeland Security, I think.  The modelling proved accurate and they had the plans to respond, the only factor which they didn't and couldn't take into account was politics. 

Obama said as much a couple of months back during a documentary. He said that there was planning and response left in place for such a scenario. Clearly they didn't plan for the "Orange Effect" though.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I missed the documentary (will have to have a look on BBC iPlayer). Was this expert from the Obama administration? IIRC Trump did away with the response team for possible pandemics quite early on in his administration. 

Politics have a lot to answer for in quite a few countries regarding pandemic responses. 

31 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I missed the documentary (will have to have a look on BBC iPlayer). Was this expert from the Obama administration? IIRC Trump did away with the response team for possible pandemics quite early on in his administration. 

Politics have a lot to answer for in quite a few countries regarding pandemic responses. 

It was 54 Days: America and the Pandemic.  They had an earlier two parter on China's response, equally worrying as politics did the damage not the medics and scientists.

• Thanks 1

On BBC Radio 4 just now Covid 19: Doctors and Deniers. 

Well worth a listen for anybody who is interested.

Which is all of us.

PS This is a programme made in the UK. Lots of people on the Isle of Man may become confused because they will have little concept of the reality of the subject. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2

I've always thought the worst effects of the pandemic would have been caused by government action and politics.

What I had expected though was that they'd have all been really really strict, going far too far in terms of peoples liberty etc, rather than instead just being absolutely shit.

• Like 2

I think it’s pretty safe to say border control will not lift until the next election.

That is a problem because that means the next election will in effect be a referendum on keeping the borders closed. 

it is very evident that not a single voice of dissent comes up in Tynwald . Not surprising as the 2 have got it right  but only given the circumstances ( easy choice , easy to implement so they took it).  But it’s the coming out that is the problem. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Anyone said:

I think it’s pretty safe to say border control will not lift until the next election.

That is a problem because that means the next election will in effect be a referendum on keeping the borders closed. 

it is very evident that not a single voice of dissent comes up in Tynwald . Not surprising as the 2 have got it right  but only given the circumstances ( easy choice , easy to implement so they took it).  But it’s the coming out that is the problem. 

There’s lot of questions on policy & medical advice on restrictions etc , it’s just Howie & Ashie won’t publish the advice and now have until March Tynwald to do so

22 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's especially bad news for us. Borders closed for another year?

Cant see anything else happening now.

If you read the report it doesn't appear quite as described by Alan.

The have a small sample cross section (2000 people), with an average age of 31.  The findings also haven't  been peer reviewed.

• Like 1