IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's especially bad news for us. Borders closed for another year?

Cant see anything else happening now.

In that event I could see plenty happening, well, plenty leaving anyway.

Had this exact conversation with my parents yesterday who said they’d sell up & move somewhere warm to see out their final days rather than be effectively held captives here.

Edited by Nom de plume

41 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's especially bad news for us. Borders closed for another year?

Cant see anything else happening now.

Looks like it. Oxford scientists saying a new flavour of vaccine available by August, add six months to vaccinate...

Now that the USA has a president again the government agencies are once again working and sadly are seeing these mutations...

25 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

If you read the report it doesn't appear quite as described by Alan.

The have a small sample cross section (2000 people), with an average age of 31.  The findings also haven't  been peer reviewed.

Accepted. But its certainly not good news. 20% efficacy against the SA variant. A variant that is already spread so far we detected here. It almost like a new pandemic if the data is correct. The bottoms in Tynwald will be at high level twitching.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Accepted. But its certainly not good news. 20% efficacy against the SA variant. A variant that is already spread so far we detected here. It almost like a new pandemic if the data is correct. The bottoms in Tynwald will be at high level twitching.

The trial’s small sample size needs to be emphasised and the positive news is that it indicates a lessening of severe issues and hospitalisation. The media headlines are all over the negatives, leaving the balanced reporting to the main body. I am reasonably positive, as it also appears that most scientists are.

As for borders, assuming the UK numbers continue on their current trajectory, the pressure on Comin to release restrictions will be immense. There is no appetite in Comin to continue the restrictions unnecessarily, even with the election looming, although I accept that pressure will be brought to bear by some sections of society to keep the borders closed. In reality though there are many who have real power and influence, and who ultimately power the economy, who will not accept closed borders and restrictions for no good reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

In reality though there are many who have real power and influence, and who ultimately power the economy, who will not accept closed borders and restrictions for no good reason. 

That's perfectly ok so long as we know who the politicians were that bowed to these shadowy powerful figures.

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

The trial’s small sample size needs to be emphasised and the positive news is that it indicates a lessening of severe issues and hospitalisation. The media headlines are all over the negatives, leaving the balanced reporting to the main body. I am reasonably positive, as it also appears that most scientists are.

As for borders, assuming the UK numbers continue on their current trajectory, the pressure on Comin to release restrictions will be immense. There is no appetite in Comin to continue the restrictions unnecessarily, even with the election looming, although I accept that pressure will be brought to bear by some sections of society to keep the borders closed. In reality though there are many who have real power and influence, and who ultimately power the economy, who will not accept closed borders and restrictions for no good reason. 

I like your optimism and I would like you to be right.

However if you read what the experts say at AZ  - there is only hope that it will prevent severe illness and death. Hope. I don't know what the basis of that 'hope' is based on. Fingers crossed then but I have a very bad feeling.

51 minutes ago, Barlow said:

That's perfectly ok so long as we know who the politicians were that bowed to these shadowy powerful figures.

I don't think that this government will open the borders whilst there is any real risk. If the AZ only gives 20% and there is widespread SA variant infections then you don't need me to tell you what the policy decision will be.

2 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

In reality though there are many who have real power and influence, and who ultimately power the economy, who will not accept closed borders and restrictions for no good reason. 

In reality there are many people shouting for the borders to be open but in reality they have neither real power nor influence, and who ultimately power only the moths floating about in their heads.

P is for pandemic. There's lots and lots about it on the radio and in the press and that.

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

In reality there are many people shouting for the borders to be open but in reality they have neither real power nor influence, and who ultimately power only the moths floating about in their heads.

P is for pandemic. There's lots and lots about it on the radio and in the press and that.

They are not shadowy figures, they are just employers, and people who earn a good living who mix in the right circles. The sort of person who has made the island their home, but still does business in the UK and has family in the UK. They are not the illuminati, but are instead your neighbours, your colleagues or maybe your boss. They do wield influence in as much as they speak regularly to Ministers and departmental CEO's, as they are the sort of people that the island needs and should want to retain. Of course if it all goes wrong, restrictions need to be retained, but if restrictions ease across, expect it to ease over here also.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

They are not shadowy figures, they are just employers, and people who earn a good living who mix in the right circles. The sort of person who has made the island their home, but still does business in the UK and has family in the UK. They are not the illuminati, but are instead your neighbours, your colleagues or maybe your boss. They do wield influence in as much as they speak regularly to Ministers and departmental CEO's, as they are the sort of people that the island needs and should want to retain. Of course if it all goes wrong, restrictions need to be retained, but if restrictions ease across, expect it to ease over here also.

Great post.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Great post.

I can't deny that. But such people will have far less influence in an election year.

The l'il ol' ladees will be kings for a day. And 5 years too depending on the MHK.

Edited by Barlow

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

IoM is on Radio 2 Jeremy Vine, last quarter of the program if you're looking for it on sounds. 'Guy' raises the right point of what happens next while managing to sound like a prick.

Amazing to hear so many Howard supporters that would keep us locked down forever and a day.