IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

There doesn't seem to have been a 4pm update today, via social media or news outlets- although the web page seems to have been updated https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

All I've seen reported is that Howie wants to address us Friday.

I'm struggling to see the 0 they like to quote - so can't tell if there is a new, unconfirmed source, case or not. 

Am I missing something on the 5 vs 4 graphic?

Looks like UK is working at some form of vaccine passports as reported from his news conference 

Mr Johnson also did not deny the government was working on developing an app for people to show when travelling internationally, containing details about their COVID-19 status.

Hardly ever dip in here anymore due to some peoples lack of concern or care for others situations.

I did notice the huge reported increase in suicides during 2020 though (21 vs 6 in 2019)

I wouldn’t mind betting that more of those people would have still been alive at the end of 2020 without COVID restrictions and travel restrictions than of the unfortunate 26 residents who were counted as COVID deaths.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Hardly ever dip in here anymore due to some peoples lack of concern or care for others situations.

I did notice the huge reported increase in suicides during 2020 though (21 vs 6 in 2019)

I wouldn’t mind betting that more of those people would have still been alive at the end of 2020 without COVID restrictions and travel restrictions than of the unfortunate 26 residents who were counted as COVID deaths.

Don't forget though, and I'm not disparaging the pain and suffering of many, that there has been a change in judging 'suicide' as 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

True figures have probably been at least 33% to 50% underestimated in the past.

And, we have also had a change in coroner in the last 18 months.

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Don't forget though, and I'm not disparaging the pain and suffering of many, that there has been a change in judging 'suicide' as 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

True figures have probably been at least 33% to 50% underestimated in the past.

And, we have also had a change in coroner in the last 18 months.

1. The UK Supreme Court clarification, which is persuasive only, here came in November 2020. It is unlikely to have affected 2020 figures.

2. figures in IOM are so small that a change from year to year is not statistically significant. Indeed 2019 was a particularly low figure.

3. Suicide verdicts are frequently not in the same year as death. This can result in significant distortion.

4. It’s wholly unpredictable as to what, if any, effect the recent English Coroner’s Burden of Proof will have in England. Only time will tell.

5. the current coroner sat as Deputy Coroner. There is unlikely to be any change.

I think the long term 3 year average was 12-15 and has been static for years.

There are many factors that can affect suicide rates. Islands tend to have higher rates. The reasons are complex.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Looks like UK is working at some form of vaccine passports as reported from his news conference 

Mr Johnson also did not deny the government was working on developing an app for people to show when travelling internationally, containing details about their COVID-19 status.

All very well but it seems , from what UK ministers are saying , is that travel is verbotten. Bit late but I guess we have to live with it. I would have thought , but am no doubt wrong , that the vaccination program is not to avoid death but to be able to live. Otherwise why bother.

3 hours ago, sm-iom said:

There doesn't seem to have been a 4pm update today, via social media or news outlets- although the web page seems to have been updated https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/latest-updates/

All I've seen reported is that Howie wants to address us Friday.

I'm struggling to see the 0 they like to quote - so can't tell if there is a new, unconfirmed source, case or not. 

Am I missing something on the 5 vs 4 graphic?

They've published the day's figures, with 0 new cases on Facebook etc.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Haha 1

Just been listening to an interesting interview with a seemingly sensible and balanced prof from Bristol University. He said that initially there had been raised expectations amoungst scientists/government when the vaccines first appeared that elimination may be possible. The latest variants seemed to have dulled that expectation leading to the current UK’s ongoing recalibration regarding how/when restrictions are released. I found it interesting that elimination had ever been seen as a realistic possibility at all, but it does explain the current mixed messages and confusion about 5e future. The bit that made me choke on my cornflakes was his final throwaway comment that he agreed with the presenter that restrictions needed to be lifted “at some point this year”. I dearly hope he accidentally forgot to include the word “early”.

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

Just been listening to an interesting interview with a seemingly sensible and balanced prof from Bristol University. He said that initially there had been raised expectations amoungst scientists/government when the vaccines first appeared that elimination may be possible. The latest variants seemed to have dulled that expectation leading to the current UK’s ongoing recalibration regarding how/when restrictions are released. I found it interesting that elimination had ever been seen as a realistic possibility at all, but it does explain the current mixed messages and confusion about 5e future. The bit that made me choke on my cornflakes was his final throwaway comment that he agreed with the presenter that restrictions needed to be lifted “at some point this year”. I dearly hope he accidentally forgot to include the word “early”.

They never eliminated flu, they'll never eliminate Covid.

Boris Johnson will be outlining the details of their road map to lift restrictions on Feb 22nd. We will follow suit. 

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

They never eliminated flu, they'll never eliminate Covid.

Boris Johnson will be outlining the details of their road map to lift restrictions on Feb 22nd. We will follow suit. 

I completely agree, and I find it strange that the elimination mindset had developed, but apparently 90% efficacy presented that possibility in their minds. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the road map discussion's. Hancock on one side, Sunak on the other and a bewildered Boris stuck in the middle looking confused whilst being simultaneously bombarded by the 1922 committee and SAGE. I dearly hope the road is short, direct with no lay-bys and side roads, well sign posted and in better condition than our B routes.

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I completely agree, and I find it strange that the elimination mindset had developed, but apparently 90% efficacy presented that possibility in their minds. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the road map discussion's. Hancock on one side, Sunak on the other and a bewildered Boris stuck in the middle looking confused whilst being simultaneously bombarded by the 1922 committee and SAGE. I dearly hope the road is short, direct with no lay-bys and side roads, well sign posted and in better condition than our B routes.

Boris's road to recovery

cws.jpg

16 hours ago, Banker said:

He doesn't need to bother with apps for airlines.... IATA are already leading the way:

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

I'm pretty sure other transport bodies are looking at it as well.

• Like 1