IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

They never eliminated flu, they'll never eliminate Covid.

There are many virus illnesses that have not been eliminated yet. Funnily enough several of them in poorer countries. 

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm pretty sure other transport bodies are looking at it as well.

Will that make phones compulsory.? Will the government and the airlines supply them free. ? 

I can see the signs at the airports now - Make sure your phone is charged !! Do not swap your phone !! Has you SIM card been cloned at any time !!

Seriously though I am a bit concerned about where this is going and may end up. The end of privacy ?

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

There are many virus illnesses that have not been eliminated yet. Funnily enough several of them in poorer countries. 

Will that make phones compulsory.? Will the government and the airlines supply them free. ? 

I can see the signs at the airports now - Make sure your phone is charged !! Do not swap your phone !! Has you SIM card been cloned at any time !!

Seriously though I am a bit concerned about where this is going and may end up. The end of privacy ?

If you want to travel, yes privacy will decline as you’ll have to have some sort of health passport, boarding passes & insurance  on phone probably 

Edited by Banker
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

If you want to travel, yes privacy will decline as you’ll have to have some sort of health passport, boarding passes & insurance  on phone probably 

Ah, the old "no phone can't travel" rule. Apple, the company, must be wringing their little hands at the prospect of global phone ownership. I wonder if they will give them away free to poorer nations ?  

Just think what it could mean for say emigration and immigration from war torn countries etc 

Might save having to get paper passports. Mind, we need them for bank accounts.

Anyway the possibilities seem endless.

10 minutes ago, Apple said:

If you have flown before then airlines will already have some data on you. So your privacy will have already been compromised. 

I think we may be forced to upload verified test & vaccine certs to your own digital passenger portal in the airlines booking system rather than it be on a phone, or a combination of both.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

If you have flown before then airlines will already have some data on you. So your privacy will have already been compromised. 

I think we may be forced to upload verified test & vaccine certs to your own digital passenger portal in the airlines booking system rather than it be on a phone, or a combination of both.

There may be different ways of doing it. I think it will be introduced as part of a compulsory travel insurance scheme. 

However, I was thinking more of the global impact of doing it by telephone. 

224,205 people awaiting hospital treatment (over a year ffs) ... up from 1,467 the year previous.

I’m speechless. For once.

5674A378-4461-4F97-9F4F-40C4DD995B86.jpeg

It is truly awful.  A colleague in the UK estimates they’ll be playing catch-up with waiting lists for 5 years from when this is all over. Another colleague I know reasonably well over there is on ITU with covid. 

But what can anyone do? 

224,205 people awaiting hospital treatment (over a year ffs) ... up from 1,467 the year previous.

I’m speechless. For once.

5674A378-4461-4F97-9F4F-40C4DD995B86.jpeg

You're not speechless though are you.

There's a pandemic going on. That can't be just stopped overnight. There are casualties. What is it you are speechless about?  

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

You're not speechless though are you.

There's a pandemic going on. That can't be just stopped overnight. There are casualties. What is it you are speechless about?  

I guess people are unhappy that more will die or live in pain from other ailments remaining untreated than will die from Pandemic. Also the former groups will probably younger ages than the latter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Its touching to see such genuine concern for others from yourself and the banker nom

Called it as I’ve seen it from Day One.

There had to have been a way to protect & shield the vulnerable whilst those at minimal risk of developing life threatening symptoms (the overriding majority) were allowed to continue with normal life. 

Even now, knowing what they know, they are still locking millions of people away who should be contributing to keeping the economy alive.

Poor lifestyle choices & obesity have contributed massively to the mortality rate also - that can’t be disputed. Many thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions perhaps, over the course of the last 50 years or so have become more unhealthy through poor diet, lack of exercise & modern culture. It sounds awfully inconsiderate & callous but many signed their own death warrants with the way they lived. I’m not talking hereditary conditions but you understand the point I’m trying to make.

Would sugar taxes have made a difference? Higher prices on alcohol & tobacco? I’m fairly sure they would. Could Governments have done more to promote healthier lifestyles? I’m sure they could.

There is an awful link between poverty & those most at risk. Where they live, the lifestyle choices they make. Who is to blame?

So much should have been considered. I’ve been through it a million times - education ruined, unemployment about to go through the roof, the economy tanking, families ripped apart, medical treatment disaster unfolding, mental health & suicide rates off the charts, etc etc etc 

Nobody here nor in any Government will convince me otherwise.

However, I can fully appreciate the stance of the seemingly majority here, who in my worthless (voice in the dark) humble opinion, have literally been frightened to near death.

PS - I’m sure there will be a special place in hell reserved for me & my thoughts.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 5