IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

13 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Called it as I’ve seen it from Day One.

There had to have been a way to protect & shield the vulnerable whilst those at minimal risk of developing life threatening symptoms (the overriding majority) were allowed to continue with normal life. 

Even now, knowing what they know, they are still locking millions of people away who should be contributing to keeping the economy alive.

Poor lifestyle choices & obesity have contributed massively to the mortality rate also - that can’t be disputed. Many thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions perhaps, over the course of the last 50 years or so have become more unhealthy through poor diet, lack of exercise & modern culture. It sounds awfully inconsiderate & callous but many signed their own death warrants with the way they lived. I’m not talking hereditary conditions but you understand the point I’m trying to make.

Would sugar taxes have made a difference? Higher prices on alcohol & tobacco? I’m fairly sure they would. Could Governments have done more to promote healthier lifestyles? I’m sure they could.

There is an awful link between poverty & those most at risk. Where they live, the lifestyle choices they make. Who is to blame?

So much should have been considered. I’ve been through it a million times - education ruined, unemployment about to go through the roof, the economy tanking, families ripped apart, medical treatment disaster unfolding, mental health & suicide rates off the charts, etc etc etc 

Nobody here nor in any Government will convince me otherwise.

However, I can fully appreciate the stance of the seemingly majority here, who in my worthless (voice in the dark) humble opinion, have literally been frightened to near death.

PS - I’m sure there will be a special place in hell reserved for me & my thoughts.

You're not alone I'm not and never have been in the least bit frightened and I'm no spring chicken!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

It is truly awful.  A colleague in the UK estimates they’ll be playing catch-up with waiting lists for 5 years from when this is all over. Another colleague I know reasonably well over there is on ITU with covid. 

But what can anyone do? 

It’s quite simple really. We all pay much more tax to properly fund a health service not only here but in the UK. But , big but here , it needs a major overhaul. The NHS has to be the most inefficient organization on the planet. We need to stop clapping it , reorganize it and fund it properly. Never happen though as it is a never to be critiqued sacred cow is it not. We in the end get what we put up with. And we put up with mediocrity.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

There had to have been a way to protect & shield the vulnerable whilst those at minimal risk of developing life threatening symptoms (the overriding majority) were allowed to continue with normal life. 

Even now, knowing what they know, they are still locking millions of people away who should be contributing to keeping the economy alive.

Poor lifestyle choices & obesity have contributed massively to the mortality rate also - that can’t be disputed. Many thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions perhaps, over the course of the last 50 years or so have become more unhealthy through poor diet, lack of exercise & modern culture. It sounds awfully inconsiderate & callous but many signed their own death warrants with the way they lived. I’m not talking hereditary conditions but you understand the point I’m trying to make.

Would sugar taxes have made a difference? Higher prices on alcohol & tobacco? I’m fairly sure they would. Could Governments have done more to promote healthier lifestyles? I’m sure they could.

There is an awful link between poverty & those most at risk. Where they live, the lifestyle choices they make. Who is to blame?

So much should have been considered. I’ve been through it a million times - education ruined, unemployment about to go through the roof, the economy tanking, families ripped apart, medical treatment disaster unfolding, mental health & suicide rates off the charts, etc etc etc 

However, I can fully appreciate the stance of the seemingly majority here, who in my worthless (voice in the dark) humble opinion, have literally been frightened to near death.

PS - I’m sure there will be a special place in hell reserved for me & my thoughts.

Funny comment there but decided you lot could not cope with it so decided not to. 

5 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

224,205 people awaiting hospital treatment (over a year ffs) ... up from 1,467 the year previous.

And what is your point exactly - given that many (perhaps even most of them) will be exactly the people most especially at risk from the effects of the virus?

Why did you change your user name?

Edited by pongo

38 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Exactly this, and what I find so depressing is the lack of opposition and acceptance by the populas. Looks like I will also be pulling up a seat down under.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

However, it's not the same virus as day one. The variants that have become prevalent are to take an advantage of our weaknesses, including your own.

What if a variant were to be fatal to the 'Under 10s'? Would you still say, ''Keep them at home''?

So that you can go to the Pub!

Suppose that your generation were to become highly susceptible, you going to stay home while we 'Oldies' go out to enjoy ourselves?

We really are 'all in this together' and that includes the rest of the World many of whom do not have our advantages!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Kopek said:

However, it's not the same virus as day one. The variants that have become prevalent are to take an advantage of our weaknesses, including your own.

What if a variant were to be fatal to the 'Under 10s'? Would you still say, ''Keep them at home''?

So that you can go to the Pub!

Suppose that your generation were to become highly susceptible, you going to stay home while we 'Oldies' go out to enjoy ourselves?

We really are 'all in this together' and that includes the rest of the World many of whom do not have our advantages!

What if, what if,  putting everything on hold just in case. We can only deal with the known and the very likely/probable, the alternative is the ‘new normal’ where the exit from this limbo keeps moving further into the distance just as we appear to be getting close. Myself, I am no longer classified as young however am in the fortunate position to cope with the situation (obviously being on the IoM helps) but I would like to see a bright future for my soon to be graduating UK nieces and nephews and also my school age children who are going to disproportionately suffer the economic and social fallout of this mess. Remember, viruses do not seek to kill their host, just replicate and there is every chance that variants will become less not more dangerous. 

Aren't they now saying that people saved during the pandemic and the economy will bounce back when everyone goes shopping again.

Bank of England chap reckons people in UK have millions just waiting to be 'uncoiled like a spring'.

Daily Mail headlines , so it must be true. (it's not like they are trying to distract from anyones recent court case hiding to nothing.)

Edited by Apple
Couldn't link. sorry

34 minutes ago, Apple said:

Aren't they now saying that people saved during the pandemic and the economy will bounce back when everyone goes shopping again.

Bank of England chap reckons people in UK have millions just waiting to be 'uncoiled like a spring'.

Daily Mail headlines , so it must be true. (it's not like they are trying to distract from anyones recent court case hiding to nothing.)

Hi Apple,

I dare say there will be those (a minority) who have accumulated some wealth during the pandemic but the BBC breaking news means only one thing sadly.

More of the poorest in society being plunged further into depths of poverty and long term deprivation.

Everything was disregarded without a thought of the consequences, everything.

The bad news will come in waves now as the economic catastrophe unfolds & hundreds of thousands (millions actually) of lives are ruined forever.

1CE80AA5-C078-49BA-BD60-5C68A86B274E.jpeg

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

More of the poorest in society being plunged further into depths of poverty and long term deprivation.

Look at you pretending to care about anyone else.

When in reality, from your perspective, it's much more about this:

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Someone is going to pay for this mess.

You (and me).

The fact is that the British economy is huge enough to more than adequately cope with a drop of slightly under 10% provided that fiscal and monetary policy is properly used to smooth the impact.

Many wrongly predicted a far more dramatic impact on the economy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, pongo said:

Look at you pretending to care about anyone else.

When in reality, from your perspective, it's much more about this:

The fact is that the British economy is huge enough to more than adequately cope with a drop of slightly under 10% provided that fiscal and monetary policy is properly used to smooth the impact.

Many wrongly predicted a far more dramatic impact on the economy. 

Showing your colours sweet cheeks & following me around here nipping away like a new puppy. It’s all rather flattering.

Keep on shining Pingu, you crazy diamond.

PS - the economic consequences are only just beginning. Fact.

Edited by Nom de plume

A couple of things spring to mind here, firstly we're not the UK and secondly, there's any amount of people, including on these boards, saying how buoyant the local economy is at present.

I was talking to an electrician chap I know only two days ago who said he and his colleagues have never been so busy, having to turn work away because (he said) of the amount of money people are investing in home improvements rather than off-island trips and holidays etc because of the restrictions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

A couple of things spring to mind here, firstly we're not the UK and secondly, there's any amount of people, including on these boards, saying how buoyant the local economy is at present.

I was talking to an electrician chap I know only two days ago who said he and his colleagues have never been so busy, having to turn work away because (he said) of the amount of money people are investing in home improvements rather than off-island trips and holidays etc because of the restrictions.

Yep, agree. We are trying to get our plumber in & we’ve been waiting 6 months - chocka!

Great news for the local tradies & wholesalers.

There will be economic blowback from the U.K. situation as the months pass, more likely felt in the corporate side of things.