IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not going to happen. The vaccine does not necessarily stop you getting Covid. It stops you getting serious symptoms. But you still get it, and still pass it on. 

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Not going to happen. The vaccine does not necessarily stop you getting Covid. It stops you getting serious symptoms. But you still get it, and still pass it on. 

If this does go ahead what about other health related issues will we need to 'declare' at passport control ? 

I agree with @Cambon - if you have to be of good health to travel then what will that do to the holiday industry ? I 

Before travelling to India, one is required to have a vaccination against malaria, a serious, killer disease that one can catch there. Covid is world wide. One is just as likely to catch it in UK as in France, India, USA, or pretty much anywhere. 

So, what's the point of a travel passport? 

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

I'm certain that certain travel providers, cruise lines, entertainment venues and indeed countries will require proof of vaccination. In fact, some already have taken that view. The oft made comment 'the vaccine doesn't stop you catching Covid' whilst true, is rather mute. It's mute because you have to get infected with Covid for the vaccine to be allowed to work. The antibodies and T cells that are generated by the vaccine  prevent the infection developing to a point where it is troublesome. Being vaccinated has now been shown in data to significantly reduce the risk of transmission - this because they have less of the virus in the body to exude.

Having an internationally recognised way of proving your vaccination status will be an almost inevitable development moving forward.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

If this does go ahead what about other health related issues will we need to 'declare' at passport control ? 

I agree with @Cambon - if you have to be of good health to travel then what will that do to the holiday industry ? I 

There are only certain serious ailments or infections which will affect your right to travel or enter a country. It's nothing new.

You already have to declare health conditions when you are travelling to countries such as the USA https://washington.consulfrance.org/IMG/pdf/us_traveler_health_declaration_12088_.pdf. You are also asked on the ESTA application if you have any infectious disease and are bound to advise them if you subsequently do develop one. Other countries have similar requirements.

You have always had to declare health conditions when purchasing travel insurance.

Recent surveys amongst frequent cruise line passengers have indicated that they would feel safer if the all fellow passengers were vaccinated. The cruise lines will take this into account when deciding on protocols to allow cruising to resume.

Edited by madmanxpilot
typo
  • Like 1

I think we are a long way off global travel certificates / passports yet. It may happen down the line but there is too much self interests to get through first. 

Again I ask, what about immigrants feeing war torn  / famine areas. Forced vaccinations and registrations ?  Are we going to ask all the fleeing people from Hong Kong heading to the UK or to the island to provide evidence of health ?

Edited by Apple
grammar

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

I think we are a long way off global travel certificates / passports yet. It may happen down the line but there is too much self interests to get through first. 

Again I ask, what about immigrants feeing war torn  / famine areas. Forced vaccinations and registrations ?  Are we going to ask all the fleeing people from Hong Kong heading to the UK or to the island to provide evidence of health ?

I think it will happen sooner than you think as a condition of borders opening, holidays being allowed etc.

In respect of your latter point, I think the case of refugees would be addressed separately to those wishing to travel for leisure or business.

Of course, once the vast majority of the population has been vaccinated, it will become less of an issue.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I think it will happen sooner than you think as a condition of borders opening, holidays being allowed etc.

In respect of your latter point, I think the case of refugees would be addressed separately to those wishing to travel for leisure or business.

Of course, once the vast majority of the population has been vaccinated, it will become less of an issue.

This is the problem eight billion people in the world. Most will never be vaccinated. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:49 AM, trmpton said:

Steam packet staff member tests positive.  I have a feeling they knew this a couple of days ago

Yes, several local staff in a weeks quarantine? (A week?) This is the area which really should be looked at. It's so easy to cross infect, otherwise there would be no need to quarantine anyone.

It must be difficult with Latvians and Portuguese crew members coming and going on top of the UK people? Surprised the Caff isn't a hot spot! 

On 2/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, madmanxpilot said:

The oft made comment 'the vaccine doesn't stop you catching Covid' whilst true, is rather mute. It's mute because you have to get infected with Covid for the vaccine to be allowed to work

Is it possible that you mean moot rather than mute?

Edited by pongo

On 2/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, madmanxpilot said:

Realistically, for most people holidays and other unnecessary travel are going to be a maybe in 2022 thing. 

Maverick backbenchers and the gutter press had been pushing to get things going again in March / April but the London govt seems to have kicked into touch any suggestion of even committing to that. 

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, pongo said:

Realistically, for most people holidays and other unnecessary travel are going to be a maybe in 2022 thing. 

Maverick backbenchers and the gutter press had been pushing to get things going again in March / April but the London govt seems to have kicked into touch any suggesting of even committing to that. 

You’re going to drown in your own tears come June fella.

• Like 1