IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

29 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Jobs in the hospitality industry should never be more important than the health of people, regardless of age. Think a bit deeper about what you are proposing and how elderly or vulnerable people see your comments. Pretty selfish if you ask me.

Sorry Dilli, you are infering that the health of the ‘people’ would suffer. I am sure you are aware of the relatively small number of serious cases there would be in any reoccurrence, heavily skewed towards a particular demographic. Most of us will either have minor symptoms or not show any symptoms whatsoever. The people are going to suffer far more as a consequence of economic blight caused by fear. Fear of the virus, and the inertia that follows is the greater threat. I personally would prefer that significant resources go into looking out for the demographic at risk, rather than the blunt instrument of lockdown. BTW, I agree with travel restrictions continuing until September, but then we need to open up and face the world.

Edited by Out of the blue
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I’ve elderly parents who share my opinion.

They understand what’s at stake here long term (also having been in business all their lives).

They do not represent the majority view though

Believe me

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

And my question in regard the medical services paralysis?

There isn’t one or wasn’t one

I can’t use my ipad for MF for some reason, all other sites are ok, so using my phone to reply That is a pain so will leave the stage here

44 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Jobs in the hospitality industry should never be more important than the health of people, regardless of age. Think a bit deeper about what you are proposing and how elderly or vulnerable people see your comments. Pretty selfish if you ask me.

What about when losing said jobs impact on family income possibly unable to feed themselves or heat the house then theres the impact of associated shops bars etc missing out on the tourists so people may not contract the covid but their life could be lost in other ways. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

What about when losing said jobs impact on family income possibly unable to feed themselves or heat the house then theres the impact of associated shops bars etc missing out on the tourists so people may not contract the covid but their life could be lost in other ways. 

Nobody will die from starvation 

I think you know better than to have posted that rubbish 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Nobody will die from starvation 

I think you know better than to have posted that rubbish 

I think Thommo will see the effects of deprivation caused by low/no income on a daily basis. Poor diet, mental health issues, domestic violence etc. You are looking at this in too simplistic a way - virus bad, we are all going to die, we must avoid it at all consequences. As I said before for most people it is not a death sentence, and for the rest, resources and knowledge need to be focused on them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Lives before money and profit. Who else would you sacrifice to get some tourists here

Total rubbish.  It's a much wider debate than tourism.  The facts of the matter are that lockdown has a number of implications and eventually those implications will lead to more deaths and societal problems than a small number of people dying from Covid 19.  There is a tipping point and if your answer is "well one covid death is one death too many" you are fucking deluded.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Forget the testing (it's sketchy at best). We need to work through herd immunity here.

I'm not sure if there is even any point responding to this post, it is clear that you have already your mind up. For the benefit of others however...

The idea of herd immunity for a novel coronavirus is an absolute myth, and a dangerous one at that.

Herd immunity can only be achieved through mass vaccination, and has to my knowledge been achieved globally only once with smallpox.Many of the common diseases you are vaccinated for still have outbreaks. It is not possible and has never happened by simply allowing things to spread. To argue otherwise is to be in complete and utter denial of fact. There's also NO evidence yet that previous infection even provides more than a few months immunity, and to get close to 80% means an incredible amount of sickness and death.

There has never been a successful vaccine for a coronavirus. SARS and MERS had tons of cash thrown at them initially, no vaccine was forthcoming. Fortunately, as viruses often tend to do, they weakened, and less funding went in. There are two positives from this, one that hopefully this virus will weaken too (although the more it is allowed to spread the less likely this is in my view),and two that there is substantial work to build from.

We've had a clear, obvious and deadly warning here locally, with Abbotswood. People talk about 'protect the vulnerable'and sure that's a good thing, we should, but should that protection need to be sterile cells and hazmat suits for people with dementia? Should it fuck. The protection is given by everyone in the community taking some fucking responsibility and waiting things out until a better solution is found. Cancel your holidays, stop being an impatient dickhead and wait it out for a while. A solution will emerge.

I say all this as someone who actually wants the borders open as one thing I have learnt is that there aren't enough people growing weed over here, AND GODDAMN I WANT A FUCKING OUNCE

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Total rubbish.  It's a much wider debate than tourism.  The facts of the matter are that lockdown has a number of implications and eventually those implications will lead to more deaths and societal problems than a small number of people dying from Covid 19.  There is a tipping point and if your answer is "well one covid death is one death too many" you are fucking deluded.

i am then deluded and a human being with feelings for others. too many selfish people on here.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

i am then deluded and a human being with feelings for others. too many selfish people on here.

So how do you feel about the 9,000,000 people whose lives have been destroyed in the UK by being kicked out of the job market with many unable to pay bills? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

So how do you feel about the 9,000,000 people whose lives have been destroyed in the UK by being kicked out of the job market with many unable to pay bills? 

Bollocks. That is all I can say. Don't believe all you read. Talk about scare tactics !!!!

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Bollocks. That is all I can say. Don't believe all you read. Talk about scare tactics !!!!

You sound like a man shouting into an empty steel bucket placed over you head. It must be the worlds worst echo chamber. What’s scare tactics about that? It’s fact. There are currently 9,000,000 out of work in the UK. Many in seriously bad financial positions. Plus thousands of cancer patients not being treated. 

Edited by Mr Newbie