IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

In late 2020, there were calls for periodic testing of all returnees etc

I don't understand how returnees have "close contacts" at all. Surely they are supposed to be completely isolated. And presumambly that includes everyone working on the boat.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

.  Vaccination is good and there is evidence that it does reduce transmission.   Why wouldn't you just jab them all? 

Because we are prioritising those who are most likely to die. Which remains the advice and the correct thing to do.

Edited by Happier diner

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Am I seeing a pattern here?

In late 2020, there were calls for periodic testing of all returnees,  dismissed on clinical advice, but then introduced just before we had the Dec clusters (I won't say outbreak). 

A couple of weeks ago there were calls to examine the IOMSPC as a potential weak link with a suggestion of vaccinating all crew.  Again dismissed on clinical advice and then up pops a positive crew member. 

If there is a policy of elimination,  then surely these weak links should be dealt with regardless of the clinical advice.  Vaccination is good and there is evidence that it does reduce transmission.   Why wouldn't you just jab them all? 

Foreign workers don't vote in elections but old people do.

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Because we are prioritising those who are most likely to die. Which remains the advice and the correct thing to do.

Surely we are prioritising high risk, and crew have got to be high risk, not to themselves necessarily, to the other unvaccinated vulnerable members of the public?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Chief said:

i agree but they set the precedent with the ill-advised last lockdown so they have to follow their own protocol otherwise what was the point last time out.

Well the last one was for unknown community cases which we don’t have now. 
Guernsey still have some community cases and easing restrictions next Monday so no need to panic again!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Surely we are prioritising high risk, and crew have got to be high risk, not to themselves necessarily, to the other unvaccinated vulnerable members of the public?

The vaccine doesn't stop it passing on. It just makes the symptoms not as bad where you're going to need hospital treatment 

Just now, jaymann said:

I genuinely have no idea how many times this pair at the top of the political chain can ignore criticism and/or advice to the detriment of the Island and get away with it.

Countries (especially the UK) are framing this as a war against the virus. They use very specific war time language. The use of this language encourages a weird sort of loyalty. It's as clever as it is diabolical. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2