IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Thats because they know that it wouldn't help because that's their job. The sequencing will be done, but for different reasons. If HRH DrG can get sequence tests before people get a positive test (i.e magic) then it would be very useful (incredibly useful). The sad truth is that she can't. She might be able to get a result a bit quicker (say 3 days rather then 5) but sadly that's no help.

Well by 'they' I actually meant people like you who just repeat the same thing no matter how often it's been refuted.  Obviously you can't sequence the virus's genome before you've got a positive test, because without a positive test you don't know the virus is there and you haven't got the genetic material to sequence.  So I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

@rachomics has said that 24 hours or so should be enough for identifying sequences to be located and so routes of transmission worked out, alongside contact tracing happening at the same time.  That seems to be similar to what is happening in New Zealand with their latest cluster, where genomics is being used to prevent having to go into widespread and prolonged lockdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Too late to stop a lock down. Still is as we wouldn't get the results till Saturday even with an on Island lab

Sure, but the good news is, people exposed to the virus don't immediately start shedding it either.

Genomics takes time but so does COVID. If you've got contact tracing that's being backed up with data from genomics, you can find all the links, find the routes the virus has taken, and shut down the spread from there.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well by 'they' I actually meant people like you who just repeat the same thing no matter how often it's been refuted.  Obviously you can't sequence the virus's genome before you've got a positive test, because without a positive test you don't know the virus is there and you haven't got the genetic material to sequence.  So I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

@rachomics has said that 24 hours or so should be enough for identifying sequences to be located and so routes of transmission worked out, alongside contact tracing happening at the same time.  That seems to be similar to what is happening in New Zealand with their latest cluster, where genomics is being used to prevent having to go into widespread and prolonged lockdown.

I think you have misunderstood me. I absolutely agree with your first paragraph and that's what i was trying to say. You put it better than me.

By 'they' I mean our public health and disease control professionals

If you read Dr R's own post, she says 36hours after the test

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Most seamen and women are used to inconvenient shifts. Accept the difficulty/ practicality. However how can it be right that a person is in contact with someone from the Uk and then an hour later be in the hairdressers. I bet they didn't fess up this fact because they got their highlights done. Whats the point of having a closed border but then taking no steps at all.

They should be vaccinated and observe PPE protocols etc.  Cant do much more.  Other than stop the boat running.  Which you can't do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

But it isn't practical in the real world.

You are not going to get employees who's life consists of a shift on the SP, isolate, shift, isolste.  Time off (isolate for two weeks).  Effectively you would be imprisoning them outside of their shift.

It's delusional to think that is either fair or possible.

It makes no sense for them not to be isolated if they are in contact with people who have been to the UK.

It might not be much fun but it certainly is not impractical, unfair or impossible.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Vaccination is to stop you dying.

Controlling spread of the disease by observing a strict protocol and not allowing employees who have recently been in contact with persons who are likely to be infected mixing in our community and getting their hair done in Onchan is what companies should do to stop outbreaks. That is what risk mitigation is. You deal with the thing that is most likely and implement mitigations that have the greatest effect.

What you are saying is that we should encase all drivers in rubber, we don't. We have driving laws to stop accidents happening. Vaccinations are more akin to an airbag. A contingency and not a mitigation.

There are many good books on Risk Assessment.

So you agree then? That it would be a good idea to vaccinate IOMSPCo staff? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think you have misunderstood me. I absolutely agree with your first paragraph and that's what i was trying to say. You put it better than me.

By 'they' I mean our public health and disease control professionals

If you read Dr R's own post, she says 36hours after the test

She has also said that in a push, for situations like now, she can cut that to 24 hours for initial results, 36 for a full report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To put it succinctly, our last lockdown was a result of that which we didn't know.

We didn't know the extent of the spread, or necessarily, how that spread manifested. This was compounded by the community cases, hence our 21 days after the last one.

Genomics, contact tracing and testing form a panacea to give us that information. Each one alone doesn't give us all the pieces of the puzzle, but combined, you have a massive insight into what's happening on the Island.

Why intentionally cut off part of that data? Contact tracing takes time too, but we still do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

To be fair  I don't think he came across as smug in those interviews and was careful to sidestep the issue on criticising the UK's response. 

Fair point Gladys, and I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in the UK interviews, certainly compared to the stumbling baseline we've come to expect here.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Fair point Gladys, and I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in the UK interviews, certainly compared to the stumbling baseline we've come to expect here.

Let’s hope if we go into a quick ‘breaker’ then we bounce out 3 weeks later and then stop all these visitors and travellers for a few months.

35 minutes ago, pongo said:

It makes no sense for them not to be isolated if they are in contact with people who have been to the UK.

It might not be much fun but it certainly is not impractical, unfair or impossible.

It would be unreasonable to ask them to do it whilst there's an opportunity to have the vaccine. But they don't 'qualify' for the vaccine even though the service they participate in is deemed to be in the national interest and would in any other circumstances be classed as key workers (at least on a par with suited 'medical' staff). Something not right somewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It would be unreasonable to ask them to do it whilst there's an opportunity to have the vaccine. But they don't 'qualify' for the vaccine even though the service they participate in is deemed to be in the national interest and would in any other circumstances be classed as key workers (at least on a par with suited 'medical' staff). Something not right somewhere.

The issue is they seem to only be acting on medical advice and not on disaster planning advice. The medical advice identifies those groups who most need the vaccine for their health but you also need someone looking at where the biggest risks are for infection to get into the Island. That is our port workers and random jetskiers.

• Like 5