IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I really hope we aren’t going to end up having another lockdown, hopefully it’s just social distance measures in place, perhaps masks but not another lock down please, I personally can’t afford another one.

Try not to worry. Different scenario to the january one. Hopefully be something like masks and see how it goes

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It doesn't guarantee that you won't get sick either, but everyone (apart from nutcases) thinks it is a good idea.

By everyone what do you mean. You mean people on here but not those whose job it is all over the world (nut cases in your words but experts in my words) to make the right decisions. I'm just glad you are not in charge:D

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But IOMSPCo staff/crew are the first people that anyone coming to the Island will make contact with, including returning patients. They are at risk much higher up the chain than Police, for example.

Very few patients go by ferry, very few.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I really hope we aren’t going to end up having another lockdown, hopefully it’s just social distance measures in place, perhaps masks but not another lock down please, I personally can’t afford another one.

Everyone is with you here. But who are you pleading to?

The Governmnet are fighting from a position of strength but there's a chink in our armour, it needs fixing.

Alf Cannan needs to do one thing and one thing only - keep reminding CoMin of the cost of a lockdown.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

By everyone what do you mean. You mean people on here but not those whose job it is all over the world (nut cases in your words but experts in my words) to make the right decisions. I'm just glad you are not in charge:D

So, there are real experts who think vaccination is not a good idea?  There may be some who think one vaccine is more effective than others, but are there any reliable medical experts who think vaccinations are a bad idea?

I am glad I am not in charge because I would have to deal with people like you!

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I don't know why but I assumed/thought IOMSPCo crews would have been part of the initial cohort, working for a lifeline and being key workers etc. I took that as a given. Silly me.

Even before vaccination you would have thought that regular testing would have been part of the routine for all workers for the carriers and ports who might be in contact with travellers or the UK.  But clearly the usual superstitious attitude to (free) testing meant that didn't happen. Even the UK Steam Packet worker who tested positive got his test there on his own initiative.

I've always been (and remain) dubious about vaccination stopping transmission, but experience of past vaccines tell us that there should be some effect. 

There's also the moral point that those who society is requiring to be most exposed to risk should be the best protected.  We accept this for medical staff (who will have the best PPE available), but not for those in lowly manual jobs.  And yet the Covid death rate for doctors in the UK is much less than that for security guards.

It's interesting that New Zealand starts vaccination this week and currently [1] the highest priority is going port workers and those working in quarantine facilities.

[1]  Assuming low-Covid levels.  If there is a serious outbreak it switches to the elderly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even before vaccination you would have thought that regular testing would have been part of the routine for all workers for the carriers and ports who might be in contact with travellers or the UK.  But clearly the usual superstitious attitude to (free) testing meant that didn't happen. Even the UK Steam Packet worker who tested positive got his test there on his own initiative.

I've always been (and remain) dubious about vaccination stopping transmission, but experience of past vaccines tell us that there should be some effect. 

There's also the moral point that those who society is requiring to be most exposed to risk should be the best protected.  We accept this for medical staff (who will have the best PPE available), but not for those in lowly manual jobs.  And yet the Covid death rate for doctors in the UK is much less than that for security guards.

It's interesting that New Zealand starts vaccination this week and currently [1] the highest priority is going port workers and those working in quarantine facilities.

[1]  Assuming low-Covid levels.  If there is a serious outbreak it switches to the elderly.

It's a view and it's interesting. Right or wrong we take this advice 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-30-december-2020/joint-committee-on-vaccination-and-immunisation-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination-30-december-2020

They are a clever bunch....but they don't know about kiwi or Manx solutions.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

No !! Office staff in health took priority plus some DOI staff in standby 😩

sorry banker thats utter bollox, thats my field and none of us have been offered or told to get the vaccine, the only ones that have are any that are in direct contact with patients.

• Like 2