IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yet, it has been almost a year and this major flaw in our defences was not noticed or understood.  

Neither has it actually resulted in a breach of our defences, until now, it has to be said.  So, the steammie must be implementing measures that fall short of isolation but which have, hitherto, been quite effective. 

Or am I just putting a positive spin on this?

You know the answer.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Neither has it actually resulted in a breach of our defences, until now, it has to be said.  So, the steammie must be implementing measures that fall short of isolation but which have, hitherto, been quite effective. 

They have been effective, and that's good and shows that the procedures they have in place were working up to now. 

Whatever the reason for the  crew member getting covid will hopefully be found out and procedures modified to ensure it doesn't happen again. Maybe that will mean ( and certainly should mean) regular testing of all crew. Especially UK based crew.

We can never reduce risk to zero. Even if crews isolate, they still have to travel to and from work which in itself carries risk.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bonatti said:

They have been effective, and that's good and shows that the procedures they have in place were working up to now. 

Whatever the reason for the  crew member getting covid will hopefully be found out and procedures modified to ensure it doesn't happen again. Maybe that will mean ( and certainly should mean) regular testing of all crew. Especially UK based crew.

We can never reduce risk to zero. Even if crews isolate, they still have to travel to and from work which in itself carries risk.   

Whatever the Steam Packet were doing, it is amazing that Government thought they were doing something else!

When there are so many smart people on the island why oh why are we governed by this shower ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yet, it has been almost a year and this major flaw in our defences was not noticed or understood.  

Or am I just putting a positive spin on this?

Not really.

That has been what has been happening.  The SP have protocols.  I not sure why everyone is kicking off and acting like they've been conned.

I know someone who works for the SP.  I've seen him about plenty.  At no time did I think that would be anything other than  ordinary behavior.

7 hours ago, quilp said:

It might be simple but the jury is out on whether transmissibility is affected by the vaccine. Vaccinating them all won't stop them passing on the virus who isn't vaccinated. There is no 'bigger picture' here to look at. Vaccinate them by all means, but the risk to others still exists, albeit with possibly less potential. 

It was long speculated at the start, and the data is looking very promising on that front. 

Astrazeneca allegedly cuts it by 66% from a single dose and Pfizer by 98%. 

The only viable argument I’ve heard is that it might give them all a false sense of security. But even that is a stretch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

I think it’s fair to say we’ve all been taken as mugs.

Anyone that needed to see relatives, sought medical treatment, had business in the 

We have avoided a VERY serious outbreak & further deaths by the grace of God, not through good governance.

Do NOT forget this come the election.

It has been a theme throughout. We’ve been caught short how many times now?

The first on island transmission, where they had to use the rapid tests as they’d run out of reagents. 

The incidents around Boxing Day and afterwards, being announced at 23:45 and radio silence for a day or two after that. Whilst contact tracing would test you if you called at the right time. 

The “lockdown but have a couple days for shopping first”. 

The current steam packet fiasco too. But then, testing people, vaccinating people etc, that’s all too sensible.

Only need to change policy if something has gone wrong, right?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Not really.

That has been what has been happening.  The SP have protocols.  I not sure why everyone is kicking off and acting like they've been conned.

I know someone who works for the SP.  I've seen him about plenty.  At no time did I think that would be anything other than  ordinary behavior.

Lucky thing for them they weren't a teacher

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It has been a theme throughout. We’ve been caught short how many times now?

The first on island transmission, where they had to use the rapid tests as they’d run out of reagents. 

The incidents around Boxing Day and afterwards, being announced at 23:45 and radio silence for a day or two after that. Whilst contact tracing would test you if you called at the right time. 

The “lockdown but have a couple days for shopping first”. 

The current steam packet fiasco too. But then, testing people, vaccinating people etc, that’s all too sensible.

Only need to change policy if something has gone wrong, right?

Clearly there does not seem to have been a clear policy for the boat employees, at least one which all parties understood and agreed upon!

• Like 1

Unless there’s unknown community spread then Howie should just follow his plans which say no lockdown or restrictions required.

The situation with steam packet is the same with all transport staff everywhere , it’s impossible for them to quarantine when finishing work. Imagine all the truckers &?ferry workers in uk stopping work every time they return from continent 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, quilp said:

It might be simple but the jury is out on whether transmissibility is affected by the vaccine. Vaccinating them all won't stop them passing on the virus who isn't vaccinated. There is no 'bigger picture' here to look at. Vaccinate them by all means, but the risk to others still exists, albeit with possibly less potential. 

I dont think the jury is our on whether vaccination impacts on the spread of it and the symptoms.  I think the test data already shows it works.  It's more a question of to what degree.

People are going to have to live with "risk".  Many people do, everyday.  Covid is going to be a part of a suite of diseases that will kill people each year.  As you get older and progressively less fit/strong life changes.  I am sure you can't live your life the way you did when you were 30 or 40.  

Once the vaccination programme reaches the point where everyone (who needs it and wants it) is done then it is hard to see how governments of the world won't simply tell people to get o  with it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

There will be brains and logic in that HOK building but we have a CM and a HM who think they are now world experts in pandemics. DA appears to have assumed the position of world health expert just because he's learned the words. Once they decided to assume those positions I would imagine they're protective over them and unwilling to hand the reins over to someone who really is adept in planning for every eventuality. That's what we, as Island residents deserve but instead we are treated to this charade over and over.

It's dangerous and it's wrong.

Big problem is lots of people mostly the retired & wealthy think they’re great!

• Like 1