IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Back on topic, there's no new manx whispers yet today, which may be a good sign.

Though, I'll say this and we'll be in lockdown by 6pm.

Edit: well, after posting this, Manx Radio posted that we've got another presser at 6.

Well if anything happens it’ll be tomorrow so ok to go to pub tonight, if anything too bad assume it would have been earlier  😀

Edited by Banker
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well if anything happens it’ll be tomorrow so ok to go to pub tonight, if anything too bad assume it would have been earlier  😀

It honestly wouldn't come as a shock if they had a change of tune ref lockdown from yesterday to today. This very much resembles the Christmas/NY process.

• Like 1

Just now, jaymann said:

It honestly wouldn't come as a shock if they had a change of tune ref lockdown from yesterday to today. This very much resembles the Christmas/NY process.

If there’s no unexplained community cases then he needs to follow his own policy ie no lockdown 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

If there’s no unexplained community cases then he needs to follow his own policy ie no lockdown 

Agreed. I'd be totally understanding if they introduced a period of social distancing / recommended face coverings for the next week just to see how things pan out, as per the strategy outlined last year.

But then again, that wasn't followed in January. So hardly expecting them to do it now. One thing global data shows is that multiple sharp lockdowns is far more damaging than a long one for both mental health and the economy. They need to tighten their ship (or ferry in this case) and I'm still gobsmacked at the contradictory statements of Dr Eward & Ministers vs IOMSPCo on crewing arrangements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

This was written by C. S. Lewis in 1942. He's one of my heroes.  Worth a read.

1609692153_ScreenShot2021-02-19at10_32_12.jpg.82d546d8bd9226f42bb43c6fde2d4556.jpg

Except there is no evidence it was written by your hero,

But it might have been Gandi/Roosevelt/Lincoln/Einstein/Bob Dylan etc

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Aukland had a small outbreak about a week ago. 

They locked down for about 4 days whilst they did hardcore contact tracing. 

This seems fairly viable to me. 

I'd actually prefer to see IOMGov do this completely sensibly if they can't follow their cluster mitigation plan and just plan to resort to these 'circuit breakers'.

Give it a few days, complete the contact tracing and unlock if we can. This makes an awful lot of sense. I don't particularly agree with this 'We dont need a lockdown, yet' mantra which possibly permits continual spread for an additional few days. Just nip it early and cause less drawn out pain for everyone.

• Like 4

Incidentally, regarding the Steam Packet, one of the early* 'couldn't care less' Covid-19 jailees worked as a foot passenger security checker.

*one of the first to be jailed for breaking quarantine and going down t'pub

Edited by Barlow

24 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I'd actually prefer to see IOMGov do this completely sensibly if they can't follow their cluster mitigation plan and just plan to resort to these 'circuit breakers'.

Give it a few days, complete the contact tracing and unlock if we can. This makes an awful lot of sense. I don't particularly agree with this 'We dont need a lockdown, yet' mantra which possibly permits continual spread for an additional few days. Just nip it early and cause less drawn out pain for everyone.

There’s no point in having a plan if all they do is lockdown every time there’s a few cases, no one wants that except lots of civil servants, teachers, office workers  etc who get full pay for sitting at home 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s no point in having a plan if all they do is lockdown every time there’s a few cases, no one wants that except lots of civil servants, teachers, office workers  etc who get full pay for sitting at home 

Can't you give it a rest? What's the point of just repeating your incessant rhetoric?

Boring. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Most of them will be working remotely full-time as they did anyway. Bear in mind, that when you have something like a lockdown announced, they don't have any advance warning beyond Manx whispers too.

So what you actually have is a load of civil servants working quite hard and late to get everything in place for said lockdowns.

Working from home is no longer seen as a doss, lots of tech companies etc. use them widely.

Yes, some people are fortunate to be able to WFH, but that doesn't automatically mean they're at home on the sofa watching daytime TV.

• Like 3