IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

In this current outbreak it is likely that all the cases are the same transmission line, but it would still make sense to run a genomic test on at least one of them. That way, when a case pops up that you can't easily link through contact tracing turns up you could easily check if it is linked or if there has been another breach somewhere. 

I do not understand why you fucking idiots refuse to understand this, or if you do, refuse to accept it would be useful.

If we want to 'live with the virus' by relying on tracking, tracing and isolating you would want every tool possible.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If we want to 'live with the virus' by relying on tracking, tracing and isolating you would want every tool possible.

And we have several here on the island.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

In this current outbreak it is likely that all the cases are the same transmission line, but it would still make sense to run a genomic test on at least one of them. That way, when a case pops up that you can't easily link through contact tracing turns up you could easily check if it is linked or if there has been another breach somewhere. 

I do not understand why you fucking idiots refuse to understand this, or if you do, refuse to accept it would be useful.

Vital to the process or just 'makes sense'

I agree with the science and I don't dispute the benefits of genomic testing to help us understand it.

I'm not an idiot and I can have a debate without using offensive language.

I will never be convinced that a tiny island community needs a genomic laboratory 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I agree with the science and I don't dispute the benefits of genomic testing to help us understand it.

I will never be convinced that a tiny island community needs a genomic laboratory 

There is one here already set up ...that has offered to help - and quicker than sending 'stuff' to LPL. Clearly HQ, Dr Ewart et al think its a good idea or they wouldn't bother sending samples to LPL or make ref to genomic testing in their brieifings.

Edited by daisy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'll replace the word variant with strain. 

Give me one example of how genomic testing with a result in 3 days instead of 5 would have improved an outcome. Also tell me whT qualifications you have to make us follow your recommendations rather than those who are professionally qualified and employed to make decisions

You're missing a fundamental point.

The genomics is akin to a visitor's book and family tree. Every time it passes between people, and even as it spreads within individual people, it makes mistakes in how it copies itself.

These mistakes mean you can take two COVID samples from the same household, and actually identify who gave it to who.

This isn't about variants, or strains, you assume it's one of the bad ones. But, what if you have a detailed log of how many people the virus had been through and who had actually passed it on.

Think how well that'd integrate with contact tracing. You get unknown case X. You find out within 36 hours that X actually caught it from a known case at a bar/pub/shop. You can then look at everyone else in that location that may be at risk.

Equally, you might find that X caught it off another unknown person. You look at who links X and your original case. You close those gaps. Next time, with that information, contact tracing might not miss that gap.

It directs contact tracing, it reassures you with what you're getting right, and fills in the gaps in people's memory and truth-telling.

However, the information is useless if it is too late. Interesting from an academic perspective, but not for real-time contact tracing.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No, not many places our size do. The Channel Islands don't. We do, by chance, have one sat in Onchan, that is offering to help.

Same as why we managed on island testing comparatively early, the machine was sitting around and someone knew it existed, and knew who could get it up and running in a useful way.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You're missing a fundamental point.

The genomics is akin to a visitor's book and family tree. Every time it passes between people, and even as it spreads within individual people, it makes mistakes in how it copies itself.

These mistakes mean you can take two COVID samples from the same household, and actually identify who gave it to who.

This isn't about variants, or strains, you assume it's one of the bad ones. But, what if you have a detailed log of how many people the virus had been through and who had actually passed it on.

Think how well that'd integrate with contact tracing. You get unknown case X. You find out within 36 hours that X actually caught it from a known case at a bar/pub/shop. You can then look at everyone else in that location that may be at risk.

Equally, you might find that X caught it off another unknown person. You look at who links X and your original case. You close those gaps. Next time, with that information, contact tracing might not miss that gap.

It directs contact tracing, it reassures you with what you're getting right, and fills in the gaps in people's memory and truth-telling.

However, the information is useless if it is too late. Interesting from an academic perspective, but not for real-time contact tracing.

For once the Isle of Man could be a leader in something of world-wide benefit and life-saving.

Our little secure microcosm. The knowledge is here, the willing population etc is here. 

But we have a little handful of giant egos with short-sight preventing that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

yawn....yet again, Happier diner missing the point re genomic testing. Which happens to have been explained to him/her a multitude of times in the last few months. If you can’t see it by now, please just give up and stop trolling those that can see the benefit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

For once the Isle of Man could be a leader in something of world-wide benefit and life-saving.

Our little secure microcosm. The knowledge is here, the willing population etc is here. 

But we have a little handful of giant egos with short-sight preventing that.

This was being said months ago, but to no avail. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, manxst said:

yawn....yet again, Happier diner missing the point re genomic testing. Which happens to have been explained to him/her a multitude of times in the last few months. If you can’t see it by now, please just give up and stop trolling those that can see the benefit. 

His arguments sound very much like the CoMin line... Make of that what you will. 

Although I am surprised he hasn't called genomics testing to bolster track trace nonsense yet.

• Like 2

From “The Rock Project” posted an hour ago so after today’s figures.

Anyone any clue of these were included in yesterday’s numbers?  Seems odd for him to only be posting it this evening?

Covid-19 Statement

On Wednesday 17th Feb we were informed that a close contact of one of our students had tested positive for Covid-19. As most of you know, we then made the tough decision to cancel our showcase on the Thursday.

Unfortunately on Thursday 18th, the student also tested positive, and I was contacted by Track and Trace. I quickly sent them over all the details of anyone else who had been in contact with the student at our session. We have all been for tests, and are now isolating, along with our families. Whilst most results have come back negative, unfortunately 3 other students have tested positive. 

Luckily, this was the last session of the day, so our other 3 sessions are not impacted at all. Also, as we were doing a sound check for the showcase, none of our other Rock Project tutors were present – I am the only tutor who is affected. Track and Trace have emphasized that they are only concerned about the session on Tuesday 16th Feb. The timeline shows that there is no risk to anyone before this. 

We are devastated that this has happened at one of our sessions, but we have been taking all the necessary sanitary precautions that we can, and when the student attended the session there was no reason for them or us to be concerned.

For all of our students who are isolating, we are planning various online sessions for them. We are currently working out how we can best run our other sessions, and we will be in touch with all parents shortly.

I would like to thank all of our parents for their amazing support throughout this, and especially those of you who are having to isolate. You are all wonderful, and we can't wait to be back making music together!”

21 minutes ago, trmpton said:

From “The Rock Project” posted an hour ago so after today’s figures.

Anyone any clue of these were included in yesterday’s numbers?  Seems odd for him to only be posting it this evening?

I think Dr Ewart mentioned a location that they were happy they'd identified all of the people effected, so it wasn't necessary to put that location out in to the public domain as it was contained.

This is probably that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I think Dr Ewart mentioned a location that they were happy they'd identified all of the people effected, so it wasn't necessary to put that location out in to the public domain as it was contained.

This is probably that.

Sounds like the three new cases were exposed to the virus on Tuesday and were isolated and tested subsequently Thursday. They were very unlikely to have been infectious as the incubation period is between two and seven days. Good work by the contact tracing team again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Sounds like the three new cases were exposed to the virus on Tuesday and were isolated and tested subsequently Thursday. They were very unlikely to have been infectious as the incubation period is between two and seven days. Good work by the contact tracing team again. 

Careful now.  The last thing we need to see on here is positive comments in relation to government covid work.  

• Like 2