IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Funnily enough, I know exactly. 

Here are some other things you believe:

On 3/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Cambon said:

I have it from a very reliable source that this is being used as an excuse to crash world stock markets ... I expect coronavirus to disappear in a few weeks

On 3/2/2020 at 8:11 PM, Cambon said:

It will be over in a few.weeks.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Cambon said:

In 50 years time, people will see all this and wonder how fucking simple and thick we all were because WE were all taken in, half our wealth stolen by the elite and we were willingly brought into obedience and submission by the threat of the Common Cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Mark my words...a couple of pond life returning from Spain...and heading to Jaks or Quids-Inn...will do us in.

Simpler than that - some stupid mothers held a birthday party for a kid on our local beach. 15 or so children, 10 or so adults, sod-all attention to social distancing.

Grim Reaper | Monster Wiki | Fandom

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Idiots. They do what it says on the tin.

No shortage of idiots here.

You’re probably right but so does every other country and everyone has to move on and take some elements of risk, Jersey have, Guernsey have and now finally do are we

4 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Simpler than that - some stupid mothers held a birthday party for a kid on our local beach. 15 or so children, 10 or so adults, sod-all attention to social distancing.

Grim Reaper | Monster Wiki | Fandom

All under 40 probably so not in danger.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

How do you calculate lower levels of jobless with borders closed? The bulk of hospitality workers will struggle to get jobs  with no visitors.

There's surprisingly few of them all things considered.  In the May jobless figures (June ones should be out soon) there were only 59 unemployed in Tourist Accommodation (-10 on April) and 133 in Other Catering & Entertainment (-8 on April).  Still well up on a year ago (10 and 6 respectively) but less than 200 in total and that is from the end of May before restaurants etc start going back.

Obviously it still won't be easy, especially for accommodation owners, but catering may well benefit from people not going away for holidays as some have suggested and others may move into sectors where there are vacancies such Medical and Health Services.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

There will also be people who are simply not genetically predisposed to having a bad time with it. Luck of the draw.

That's true, but it's not really my point though.  I'm not really looking at how badly it affects people but whether they catch it or not (and so can pass it on to others).  One of the interesting things about the Spanish study was they found no significant differences in terms of age or sex as to whether people had the antibodies.   It was all around 5%.   Also for those who were blaming the Spanish and Italians high Covid rates on their Mediterranean ways, household size didn't make much difference.

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's surprisingly few of them all things considered.  In the May jobless figures (June ones should be out soon) there were only 59 unemployed in Tourist Accommodation (-10 on April) and 133 in Other Catering & Entertainment (-8 on April).  Still well up on a year ago (10 and 6 respectively) but less than 200 in total and that is from the end of May before restaurants etc start going back.

Obviously it still won't be easy, especially for accommodation owners, but catering may well benefit from people not going away for holidays as some have suggested and others may move into sectors where there are vacancies such Medical and Health Services.

I think the nature of our economy will make our finances a lot more resilient than those of the more diverse and much larger economies in the short term. The nature of so many of our principle businesses lends itself well to remote working. Longer term much more will depend on the ability of the outside world to generate business for these IOM located outward facing companies. We will not be immune to general belt tightening in multinational organisations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

... household size didn't make much difference.

So what's happening now with the South Asian communities in Leicester, Blackburn et al? There is a consensus that household size has everything to do with the figures. That particular community is very close-knit, traditionally their occupancies are mixed generations of the same family... 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, quilp said:

So what's happening now with the South Asian communities in Leicester, Blackburn et al? There is a consensus that household size has everything to do with the figures. That particular community is very close-knit, traditionally their occupancies are mixed generations of the same family... 

Consensus isn't always correct though.  People often just assume things based on stereotype and don't both to look at the figures.  I'll try and see if there is any detail on the English figures, but it may be due to the jobs people are in rather than households.  

49 minutes ago, quilp said:

I would say it has to have an effect. If you have a large family coming and going with parents and maybe grandparents in the same terraced house that has to increase the incidence against a family where the generations live apart.