IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

Hardly anyone in uk 🇬🇧 Is sticking to rules, visiting families, meeting in parks etc and numbers are still falling, 

That's because a lot of them have had it, aren't getting tested, have died or have been vaccinated.

But they've paid the price of being in a purgatory of things being a bit shit for the past year.

We've been effectively as normal since June, with a brief 3 week interlude for January.

16 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's only "inevitable" if people keep soiling themselves of a few covid cases.

It would be far more constructive if people started to get used to the idea that covid is here to stay.  Rather than living with this deluded eradication ideology.

I do wonder how some people are going to function in future.

Most of us are quite attached to our Grannies, and I'd rather pay the price of a few more months, than put them all at significant risk of death.

The elephant in the room is that things will open up with widespread vaccination, but until that point, nothing in our situation has really changed. In the meantime, we can either be like Guernsey or Jersey, where restrictions have endured much longer and been much stricter.

Or, we can suck it up for the remaining months with the summer to look forward to.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

How could they have released it earlier  if they didn't have the relevant data to hand ?

I think the process needs to be looked at, NYE the announcement went out around 11:55pm, now 21/2/20 an announcement goes out at 11:30pm, the information is pretty much a copy and paste job with only the location, date and time changing. I’ll be very surprised if the labs are only sending the results through at say 11pm, why is it taking so long to return results? 

12 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Most of us are quite attached to our Grannies, and I'd rather pay the price of a few more months, than put them all at significant risk of death.

The elephant in the room is that things will open up with widespread vaccination, but until that point, nothing in our situation has really changed. In the meantime, we can either be like Guernsey or Jersey, where restrictions have endured much longer and been much stricter.

Or, we can suck it up for the remaining months with the summer to look forward to.

It’s not worth locking down for 3 weeks to have 2 weeks of freedom, they need to change strategy.

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It would be far more constructive if people started to get used to the idea that covid is here to stay.  Rather than living with this deluded eradication ideology.

But that is the plan surely? Protect Nobles through eradication until all the vulnerable plus quite a few more are vaccinated. And then when the UK opens up, we get to a point when we can start to open up.

Of course Covid will still be around after all that and thousands will still be dying from it annually (possibly 20k plus in the UK - given 11k die annually from flu).

Given the numbers (from a wide range of places) that could arrive here after the borders open e.g. RoW business, TT etc. and occasional RoW variants arising - and taking into account the percentage not willing to be vaccinated and those that can't - there is still a likelihood Nobles could still get overrun occasionally post 'pandemic'. Contingency will have to be built in for that.

But it would be stupid to let the disease run rife currently - until we have protected as many of the vulnerable as best we an.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

I think the process needs to be looked at, NYE the announcement went out around 11:55pm, now 21/2/20 an announcement goes out at 11:30pm, the information is pretty much a copy and paste job with only the location, date and time changing. I’ll be very surprised if the labs are only sending the results through at say 11pm, why is it taking so long to return results? 

I think you need to understand the process. I’m not sure what hours the sampling test station is open. But say it’s a mid afternoon sample, it goes to the lab, gets cooked, processed, and then identified. Takes a while. Then the person from whom the sample came has to be told, then they’ve got to be contacted by track & trace, that takes time. Then cross check and reference. Then tell the venue, if you can, then check authority to issue the public notice. 

The idea is to put out useful information as soon as possible but without causing mass panic or without it being thought of as crying wolf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Why would you be " very surprised"?

It's Sunday for a start.  Do you think people are literally hanging around 24 hours a day in the lab waiting for someone to need testing?

Someone clearly phoned up with or developed symptoms that needed a test.  They then have to get that test, have th le test taken to be examined.  The results then have to be reviewed and confirmed.   It then has to go to government, on a Sunday night, to arrange a communication. 

So, if all that kicked off mid to late afternoon yesterday WTF are you expecting?

Were you working last night BTW?

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think you need to understand the process. I’m not sure what hours the sampling test station is open. But say it’s a mid afternoon sample, it goes to the lab, gets cooked, processed, and then identified. Takes a while. Then the person from whom the sample came has to be told, then they’ve got to be contacted by track & trace, that takes time. Then cross check and reference. Then tell the venue, if you can, then check authority to issue the public notice. 

The idea is to put out useful information as soon as possible but without causing mass panic or without it being thought of as crying wolf.

I really do not understand how people cannot grasp the above. It's scary.

• Like 1

Isn't there some model or calculation that can be used to ascertain (not predict I would imagine) what sort of tactics are available to the government, based on:

1. Number of ITU beds to support more infections / other serious cases / planned admissions post op
  2. People currently who have it needing care / treatment
  3. Amount of vaccine available now and what will become available and when
  4. Rate of progress of vaccinations in the coming weeks
  5. Number of staff to deliver services in and out of hospital. 

Did I miss anything ?

Just been told it's called an algorithm. Strewth.

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

First up, best dressed? 

Haven't heard that in a long time, but yes that was the way it was. 

Those were the days.😀

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

But that is the plan surely? Protect Nobles through eradication until all the vulnerable plus quite a few more are vaccinated. And then when the UK opens up, we get to a point when we can start to open up.

Exactly. It's only an eradication policy until we reach the point where those at most risk are protected by vaccines.

That point is getting closer every day.