IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Heaven forbid someone has the audacity to have a difference of opinion to yourself. The selfish fuckers are those with short memories who go out exactly the same as before, like COVID-19 has never existed, 3 weeks lockdown for 2 weeks freedom wasn’t worth it.

I care not who you disagree with.  But people with such a selfish attitude as you need pulling.

How are people going out selfish by venturing out?  People are trying to conduct a semi normal life.  Businesses and livelihoods trying to be maintained.  Schools went back.  Are you suggesting they shouldn't have done?

36 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’m not going to waste my time battling against two of the most vocal forum members individually. It’s simply my opinion that I believe the process could be more streamlined, I don’t think the turnaround time is quick enough, I think releasing at 11:30pm actually causes more panic because the time of day certainly suggests urgency, the track and trace system is simply relying on goodwill and I don’t feel we’ve learnt anything since N.Y.D cases at all.

They can’t actually be sure this is the same ‘cluster’ until the genomic results come back, in the meantime it’s relying on contact tracing playing dot to dot, assuming it is actually the same transmission line. 

How can you possibly say that without knowing what time the 111 call was made?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I care not who you disagree with.  But people with such a selfish attitude as you need pulling.

How are people going out selfish by venturing out?  People are trying to conduct a semi normal life.  Businesses and livelihoods trying to be maintained.  Schools went back.  Are you suggesting they shouldn't have done?

This is quite true. If people have concerns and don't trust Governments strategy, they can choose to lock themselves down. It is not compulsory to go out. I can't see the difference between a government lockdown and an individual lockdown.

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

How can you possibly say that without knowing what time the 111 call was made?

Well we have a fairly good idea.  From the Government Facebook:

As a precaution, customers who were at Java Express Coffee Shop & Noodle Bar on Tuesday 16 February between 12:30pm and 1:30pm are being asked to immediately self-isolate, along with others in their household, and contact the COVID-111 Service.

The shop was identified as a low risk location for COVID-19 following a visit last Tuesday by an individual who later went on to test positive for the virus. A customer who was in the shop at the time has gone on to develop symptoms. They contacted the COVID-111 Service and were instructed to self-isolate along with other members of their household. The individual was offered a test which returned a positive result.

The COVID-111 Service is open each day from 8am to 8pm.

That reads like they got tested after ringing 111 and being given a swabbing appointment later in the normal way (as no doubt others did - there were 168 tests yesterday).   Possibly done on Sunday, maybe Saturday.  I think turnaround is now fast enough that someone swabbed lunchtime will have the result by 4pm.

But what we also know is that there was only one swab 'awaiting results' at 4pm and that might be this one being retested in the hope it wasn't positive.

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

And that's the problem.  They're more interested in playing about with words so they can pretend they are in control rather than dealing with reality and actually controlling things.

"Contrariwise, continued Tweedledee, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Any phenotypical resemblance between Howard and Humpty /Tweedledee is entirely coincidental.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Asymptomatic cases can roam completely undetected, waiting around for symptomatic cases to pop up when you know a positive case has visited a venue is like playing whack-a-mole, to use steam packet as an example even if crew members will be required to isolate, the family doesn’t. We need to change strategy, I think the compromise is either a decent track and trace system (allowing free movement) or restriction of movement and quicker genomic testing to correctly identify any transmission chains.

Purely hypothetical but what will happen if it turned out the Steam Packet crew member actually caught Covid from somewhere over here, perhaps an asymptomatic case that went undetected? Perhaps it possible it never went away in the first place? 

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Purely hypothetical but what will happen if it turned out the Steam Packet crew member actually caught Covid from somewhere over here, perhaps an asymptomatic case that went undetected? Perhaps it possible it never went away in the first place? 

Wouldn't that be under the column heading, "known unknown"?

11 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Asymptomatic cases can roam completely undetected, waiting around for symptomatic cases to pop up when you know a positive case has visited a venue is like playing whack-a-mole, to use steam packet as an example even if crew members will be required to isolate, the family doesn’t. We need to change strategy, I think the compromise is either a decent track and trace system (allowing free movement) or restriction of movement and quicker genomic testing to correctly identify any transmission chains.

And would it really matter if that was the case?

Those obsessed with eradication will sleep a lot better once they accept it isn't possible.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Packet crew member actually caught Covid from somewhere over here, perhaps an asymptomatic case that went undetected? Perhaps it possible it never went away in the first place? 

Possibly but very unlikely.  The trouble is that you need to have a 'chain' of asymptomatic case, none of whom develop symptoms or pass it on the anyone else who does.  The low level of testing on the Island - even when there is a cluster - might encourage this a bit, but it's still low probability.  You'd really need genomics to be sure.

• Like 1

Just now, Annoymouse said:

Well I’m glad we agree on something then, eradication strategy while allowing free movement is near on impossible.

Free movement will be happening though.

The world needs to (,and will) largely get back to some sort of normality in relation to movement of people.   Covid will just be an extra thing that could and will kill  a certain  very small percentage of the population annually.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

From the first outbreak? Almost impossible as it would've been picked up at some point, it spreads well.

From the January outbreak? Plausible, but, even circulating in a young population, you'd expect it to be passed on to someone symptomatically within a fairly short period of time. Though, it's easy to discount things as hayfever or just feeling under the weather.