IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I would say it has to have an effect. If you have a large family coming and going with parents and maybe grandparents in the same terraced house that has to increase the incidence against a family where the generations live apart.

Exactly my point. In tight-knit communities, traditional cultural practices in this respect must surely be having an effect on transmission, multi-generational occupancy is often the norm thus making appropriate distancing problematic. So household size must be factored in...

• Like 2

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/guidance-for-households-with-grandparents-parents-and-children-living-together-where-someone-is-at-increased-risk-or-has-symptoms-of-coronavirus-cov

Don't know if this helps clarify the possible consequences of living in multi-generational households. It does give a more comprehensive listing of health conditions that would suggest increased vulnerability to the virus; sickle-cell disease, for instance, prevalent above average in the BAME communities. 

9 minutes ago, woolley said:

I would say it has to have an effect. If you have a large family coming and going with parents and maybe grandparents in the same terraced house that has to increase the incidence against a family where the generations live apart.

It will have some but not as much as say workplace transmission in an over-crowded and poorly-ventilated situation.  That's because someone in that situation can infect dozens of people, but many fewer when at home.

I've been trying to make sense of the 2011 Census data for the UK and it looks as if there are a lot fewer multi-generational families than people think.  The way they code the data makes it impossible to find out, but at most it's only around 2% of all households and that includes about 44% where there are no underage children involved (usually a child has brought their partner into the parental home).  It does seem more common in areas with a high ethnic population such as Newham, but we're talking it still being very much the exception even among Asian families say, rather than the rule.

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It will have some but not as much as say workplace transmission in an over-crowded and poorly-ventilated situation.  That's because someone in that situation can infect dozens of people, but many fewer when at home.

I've been trying to make sense of the 2011 Census data for the UK and it looks as if there are a lot fewer multi-generational families than people think.  The way they code the data makes it impossible to find out, but at most it's only around 2% of all households and that includes about 44% where there are no underage children involved (usually a child has brought their partner into the parental home).  It does seem more common in areas with a high ethnic population such as Newham, but we're talking it still being very much the exception even among Asian families say, rather than the rule.

Even if only 2/3% of population live in properties with 3 generations that's still a lot of people who are probably responsible for most of the new clusters in U.K. Plus those working in the poorly ventilated sweat shops which unfortunately seems to be the same people.

I wonder if the medical complexities and consequence of consanguinous marriage will considered in the statistics when considering the reasons for complications arising from Covid19? Probably not...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17541290/#:~:text=The current generation of consanguineous,more frequent in consanguineous marriages.

This cultural practice must be having a worsening effect on the South Asian population, not just in the UK. The link provides a list of diseases and comorbidities which leave some people more at risk. 

5 minutes ago, quilp said:

I wonder if the medical complexities and consequence of consanguinous marriage will considered in the statistics when considering the reasons for complications arising from Covid19? Probably not...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17541290/#:~:text=The current generation of consanguineous,more frequent in consanguineous marriages.

This cultural practice must be having a worsening effect on the South Asian population, not just in the UK. The link provides a list of diseases and comorbidities which leave some people more at risk. 

And Foxdale and Ronague... :lol:

• Haha 2

O-oh, a bit of sensible hesitation regarding the testing of new arrivals over in Guernsey. The ability to test the numbers efficiently called into question. Good to see they're not going too quickly on this very important issue... 

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/07/15/testing-pilot-needs-more-sustainable-solution-to-work/

Of course, I suspect Howie and Ashey have already given this their scrutiny and consideration. 

8 minutes ago, lordofswords said:

Thanks, I'd already looked at this and it does not cover whether the stay can be less than 14 days if there is no contact with any Manx resident or how travel from ferry/airport is to be managed.

Oh right, well I hadn't actually read it. Your best bet is to send them an email I'd guess.

47 minutes ago, lordofswords said:

Hi all, looking for advice on Compassionate application for travel for a UK resident.  Would they allow a day trip to the Island?  How is travel from ferry/airport supposed to be done without coming into contact with anyone?

I’m not being nosy ( much ), but I’ve an forensically enquiring mind, but I can’t quite work out how a day trip, which you could only do by boat from Heysham or Loganair from Liverpool, when you arent meeting any Manx residents, would qualify as compassionate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lordofswords said:

Hi all, looking for advice on Compassionate application for travel for a UK resident.  Would they allow a day trip to the Island?  How is travel from ferry/airport supposed to be done without coming into contact with anyone?

So you register an account on a forum to ask a question that could easily be answered by googling IOM Gov and getting the correct response. Hmm.