IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Can we expect a road map with dates at some point this week?

With the usual caveats of course - U.K. case numbers, hospital admissions, new variants, vaccination numbers etc

You know, some firm dates to get things reopened border wise should everything be going in the right direction.

That way families can at least have some hope.

No.

Manx solutions to Manx problems and all that.  Ie, do nothing, plan nothing, say nothing, promise nothing.

That way nothing can go wrong.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

You must work for Government, as you are using the standard basic practice of theoretical Ideology from Government. You are guessing, it is a well educated guess so have a higher statistical probability of being right. But just incase your wrong it is something you can fall back on, instead of a sword.

No I don't work for the government, I can just use common sense and logic and see that different circumstances might require a different solution. 

9 hours ago, quilp said:

Is this gospel? I've trawled most of the media (except farcebook as I'm not on it) and can find nothing which confirms what you posted about the customers having to isolate. Maybe wrighty's right about Java, that they have plenty of staffers. My sister's friend was in Java at the times given and has been tested today. She has been told to self-isolate, along with her husband and kids until she gets her result back which, she was told may not be until Wednesday. 

Well it’s from Facebook posts from 2 people so not gospel but why put your name to it as isolating if not true 

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Can we expect a road map with dates at some point this week?

With the usual caveats of course - U.K. case numbers, hospital admissions, new variants, vaccination numbers etc

You know, some firm dates to get things reopened border wise should everything be going in the right direction.

That way families can at least have some hope.

Howie did promise one by end of February 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well it’s from Facebook posts from 2 people so not gospel but why put your name to it as isolating if not true 

It makes sense people were told to isolate until their result come through.  

Wednesday isn't correct for results. If tested yesterday most have their result now.  Today if not. 

53 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

See Anonymouse post about reopening and your reply was "remarkable".

So what? It's not the swift re-opening of the business, it's the given impression and delight that after one (exceedingly quick) test of the staff that there's-nothing-to-see-move along conclusion without so much as a mention of what we know about the virus's unpredictable incubation period. It doesn't feel right to me, I felt it premature and needed remarking on. Although, as @wrighty suggests the business may well have a resource of staff to cover whilst others self-isolate.

The "frustration " as you put it is around how people seem to have lost all sense of logic and common sense.

But they haven't really. It's little wonder that people are cautious, rather than having "lost all sense of logic and common sense" as you put it, about a potentially risky situation.

I worry about how some people are going to function in the future.  There's going to be a stark realisation for them that Covid is remaining.  Yet life is going to need to go on.

I think most people realise the virus isn't going away and that some measures will remain in place for the foreseeable future. It's no great shock to the majority of the population and most accept that they will have to adapt.

I'm actually quite glad the approach this time has been not to panick and lock down again.  I would be quite comfortable have a rolling number of covid cases because in reality that is what the future holds.

I agree totally. No one wants a return to how it was and a continuous, but hopefully small and less deadly level of covid in our society, once the vaccination program is as comprehensive as we'd like, has to be accepted as a norm in future.

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

No I don't work for the government, I can just use common sense and logic and see that different circumstances might require a different solution. 

Yes you do- it’s well known on here that you’re a policeman and therefore work for the DHA. You DO know that’s a part of the government, yes? 

Beth Espy putting pertinent questions to Ashford on MR this morning, one being about what @rachomics twittered about speed of testing for variants and their offer of doing it all for free.

For those interested enough to listen...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-evidence-covid-cluster-isnt-under-control-health-minister/

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, quilp said:

Beth Espy asking pertinent questions to Ashford on MR this morning, one being about what @rachomics twittered about speed of testing for variants and their offer of doing it all for free.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/no-evidence-covid-cluster-isnt-under-control-health-minister/

Should let loose Beth Espy on all the politicians . Shes brilliant .

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Can’t be far off a situation where less people have them than don’t.  We haven’t had one for about 15 years and I don’t know anyone under 70 who uses one.

We use them all the time. Was going to have it removed about ten years ago but got talked into keeping it by MT. Really only used for incoming calls, it costs less than £20 a quarter. How much does the average mobile and contract cost? 

23 minutes ago, quilp said:

Beth Espy asking pertinent questions to Ashford on MR this morning, one being about what @rachomics twittered about speed of testing for variants and their offer of doing it all for free.

Sounds to me like Ashford King of the Bullshit Merchants, trying to blind the public with spin, warm words and quite frankly twisting the situation. I can him as CM Bullshit come September. I’m surprised he didn’t try to pass the question for answer from Henny the Hen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, manxst said:

Yes you do- it’s well known on here that you’re a policeman and therefore work for the DHA. You DO know that’s a part of the government, yes? 

It's not well known what I do for a living, some people make  assumptions but I have never actually said what I do. To be honest jobs don't come into it when you are posting on a messageboard but if people want to assume things crack on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

He does talk the talk and to those who cannot see he comes over as very slick and knowledgable.

However, he's an ex barman and Dr Glover holds a PhD. As a member of the Manx public, I know who I'd rather take care of me and take care of a global pandemic.

Like a car salesman. Unfortunately he is still full of bullshit, towing the COMIN line.

He was also, prior to joining the Tynpotwald club, an expert with paperclips, and all round knowledge of the filling cabinet. 

Dr Glover as well as having superior medical knowledge and practical experience, also has the distinct experience of being involved as a businesswoman, through running her Business. Sadly the likes of Ashie and others, don’t have this experience, which I would term ‘real life experience’, as well as ‘school of life’. Sadly some politicos have led a somewhat sheltered upbringing, bring little to the table, then think and act like they are a CEO - when in realty they can’t run the Nobles Hospital shop efficiently.

• Like 1