IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Should let loose Beth Espy on all the politicians . Shes brilliant .

Beth went all teacosies and toddlers but she might be back as a serious presenter/interviewer someday.

And Manx Radio needs that right now more than ever. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

I certainly don't suggest we bumble along but unfortunately there are two choices

1) Accept occasional small outbreaks and try to manage them or

2) Be locked down all the time.

Neither are good.

Which is your preferred?

I'd be taking option one thanks with ALL possible tools available and being used.

The question is, and has been for a long time, are our systems for this approach strong enough? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd be taking option one thanks with ALL possible tools available and being used.

The question is, and has been for a long time, are our systems for this approach strong enough? 

It’s the latest current thinking that this pandemic may never be totally eliminated and we may have to live/coexist with it. If this is the case are we to be in permanent lockdown or restricted movements, quarantine rules etc. If this is going to be case then we may as well cancel next years TT. Those that reply saying that the population will have been vaccinated, it would need to be done yearly or six monthly. Also if you factor in Ashies reliance or bring a stickler to protocol, rules or the latest medical papers, can be assured that everyone will get their inoculation? 

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see HRH The Chief Minister is demonising the Steam Packet staff yet again, this pitting English based crew against Manx based crew. Very tedious now, another Manx problem needs a Manx solution. Perhaps there should only be a freight only service using the Arrow. No passengers or vehicles. 

"Mr Quayle said the index case was UK-based member of the Steam Packet crew and said there had been a ’clear breakdown in the rules and regulations’ on board the Ben-my-Chree and ’that’s what’s being investigated’.

He suggested that the issue involved a crew member not wearing a mask on board as required."

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=60708&headline=Four new cases in the Covid cluster&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021&cat=Health

44 minutes ago, quilp said:

So with four more cases discovered, the headmaster, sounding slightly flustered makes an amazing discovery...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/four-new-cases-of-covid-19-since-previous-update/

Out of interest, how can they be certain which is the index case? Does this mean we have the genomics back from Liverpool to tell us this?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s the latest current thinking that this pandemic may never be totally eliminated and we may have to live/coexist with it. If this is the case are we to be in permanent lockdown or restricted movements, quarantine rules etc. If this is going to be case then we may as well cancel next years TT. Those that reply saying that the population will have been vaccinated, it would need to be done yearly or six monthly. Also if you factor in Ashies reliance or bring a stickler to protocol, rules or the latest medical papers, can be assured that everyone will get their inoculation? 

The virus will not be eliminated, but the pandemic will end. It is pandemic because the vast majority had no immunity. As immunity increases, preferably through vaccination, the infection rates will inevitably fall, and ultimately it will become endemic.

I've noticed recently a few public health people and scientists suggesting looking at it more like measles than flu, and looking for  response based on those protocols. Measles is much more infectious though, but it sounds interesting. 

• Like 1

Usually, the feeling across various social media outlets is either covid is a con, or, praising the IOMG for keeping us safe.

This time, there's a lot more 'maybe they haven't got it right' sentiment around. Here that always persists because we're generally cynical and vocal.

But I think there's a definite disquiet in the air.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Usually, the feeling across various social media outlets is either covid is a con, or, praising the IOMG for keeping us safe.

This time, there's a lot more 'maybe they haven't got it right' sentiment around. Here that always persists because we're generally cynical and vocal.

It’s the usual split with calls for lockdown from the retired, those who get full pay pay whatever mob and against from those who need to work, hairdressers, self employed etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Largely from those who are usually hysterical anyway.

I do wonder what some people are moaning about.  Nothing stopping them from staying in/shielding  etc themselves.  

There's a small number of cases.  The health service isn't overwhelmed.  

• Like 1

Good to see that the Java staff tested negative and are now back at work. I am slightly confused at this though. My colleague at work is currently self isolating at home after his young daughter was caught up in the school isolation bit. Daughter had the test which came back negative. However, the family still have to stay in isolation until they have a second test. Why does that not apply to Java staff?

• Like 4