IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

28 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m not being nosy ( much ), but I’ve an forensically enquiring mind, but I can’t quite work out how a day trip, which you could only do by boat from Heysham or Loganair from Liverpool, when you arent meeting any Manx residents, would qualify as compassionate.

In the UK Care Homes are allowing people to see residents outside the windows therefore no contact with anybody when end of life is near.

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

So you register an account on a forum to ask a question that could easily be answered by googling IOM Gov and getting the correct response. Hmm.

The guidelines did not answer the questions and I hoped someone on here might be able to help, are new account posters not welcome here?

6 minutes ago, lordofswords said:

In the UK Care Homes are allowing people to see residents outside the windows therefore no contact with anybody when end of life is near.

The guidelines did not answer the questions and I hoped someone on here might be able to help, are new account posters not welcome here?

New account posters are welcome, it's just that regular followers of this forum have seen that time and time again recently banned users pop up again under a different user name, often with a seemingly innocuous but slightly suspicious sounding question.

There are several contributors on here that understand the regulations, and may even have had a hand in developing them.  It's impossible to write guidelines that cover every single possible scenario which is why the government website is sometimes lacking in clarity.  If you want helpful advice from here I suggest you be specific in what you're planning to do and then you may get it.  I understand that you may not want to give out potentially identifying information and so don't want to do that, in which case you're better off not seeking advice on a public mainly anonymous chat forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, quilp said:

I wonder if the medical complexities and consequence of consanguinous marriage will considered in the statistics when considering the reasons for complications arising from Covid19? Probably not...

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17541290/#:~:text=The current generation of consanguineous,more frequent in consanguineous marriages.

This cultural practice must be having a worsening effect on the South Asian population, not just in the UK. The link provides a list of diseases and comorbidities which leave some people more at risk. 

They won't be any effect from cousin marriage on the outcomes of Covid-19 because that's not how genetics work.  The increased risk of genetic disorder (from about 2% to 4% in 'simple' cousin marriage) is about disorders that affect people from birth.

16 minutes ago, lordofswords said:

So, you’re looking at coming over for a day to visit, as best you can, a dying relative?

That won’t work on so many levels under the regulations and guidelines.

1. you have to have an address you can go directly to and stay at. That’s where you get transported to.

2. you can’t then go out and about. You have to self isolate. So no going and standing outside a care home window.

3. Where and how are you going to spend the time Here between flights or sailings. Approx 10.00 to 16.00 if flying, and 06.00 to 19.45 if by boat.

I’d say those are far bigger worries than mask and distancing at the airport or on the boat.

56 minutes ago, lordofswords said:

I meant you would find the relevant telephone number to ask your question. If indeed there is a question.

1 hour ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

The latest news from Oxford University looks promising - could well develop into a game-changer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/15/coronavirus-vaccine-breakthrough-oxford-scientists-discover/

(It's an exclusive for the Telegraph so we can leave the Guardianisters to fret awhile yet :)).

Also on the Mail website

41 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Indeed, after a suitable and entirely understandable delay, it has now been syndicated to those publications unable to afford their own in-house journalists.

It hasn't been syndicated. That's not what syndicated means.

• Like 1

Also the Telegraph has ever fewer in-house writers. Many of the foreign correspondents have gone for example - or just occasionally write a piece. And has replaced much of the best content with provocative click-bait opinion pieces.

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

It hasn't been syndicated. That's not what syndicated means.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

Also the Telegraph has ever fewer in-house writers. Many of the foreign correspondents have gone for example - or just occasionally write a piece. And has replaced much of the best content with provocative click-bait opinion pieces.

Hint;

Perhaps that's why I included a little smiley at the end of my post :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

Hint;

Perhaps that's why I included a little smiley at the end of my post :rolleyes:

You know those things.  I know those things.  But maybe pongo felt that not everyone knows those things.

I hope the Oxford vaccine is as good as promised, but I can't help worrying that it's like an awful lot of the stuff we've seen during this outbreak where the marketing seems to be prioritised over the science.  Producing good headlines seems more important that actually producing stuff that works.

• Like 2