IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

13 hours ago, rachomics said:

Fabulous. Could you point me in the direction of the accreditation of the Liverpool Lab? I know most of the COG-UK guys and not one of their labs has an accreditation to their names...

I apologise for the ill informed use of the word accreditation....again! It wasn't what I meant to say

The word I should have used is 'assurance' or perhaps validation. Accreditation is a type of assurance and possibly not always the best.

My exploration of the point is not to discredit the ability of your laboratory to perform this testing. It has never been that. What I want to understand is the reason the IOM Gov don't choose it use it. The angry mob on here (and you have an enviable following) assume its just because HQ is sulking because you spoke out.

There are a few possibilities that would explain the choice (cost and location being exempted) . Starting with the most positive

1) That the IOM Gov wish to be in with the gang and use a UK wide string of laboratories that are hosted by fine academic institutions which purport to share all the data. Maybe they think that it would be thought of badly if one of the CDs took a route of its own. Defra in the UK have an influence on us whether we like it or not

2) That the DHSS believe that the assurance and investment and the obvious massive resources that the UK University labs have (funded from UK government) is the best option

3) Maybe they are just sulking along with HQ or don't want to upset him. 

We may all have a view on what the reason is. Some more cynical than others. But we don't know. HQ publicly stated that IOM Gov considered the LPL laboratory to be the 'best' choice. he didn't explain the criteria for assessing 'bestness' but I suspect if pushed 1) or 2) would be cited.

Its not going to change is it (and the angry mob are now focused on how mean the government has been to the SPCo):rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Banker said:

You can see on Facebook that any criticism of Howie or Ashie is immediately attacked by any plenty defending them & praising them for saving us.

Conversely on Manx Forums any praise for Howie or Ashie is immediately attacked by plenty here saying they are rubbish. Unfortunately this criticism usually extends to such physical factors, such as corpulence, baldness and style of dress

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Conversely on Manx Forums any praise for Howie or Ashie is immediately attacked by plenty here saying they are rubbish. Unfortunately this criticism usually extends to such physical factors, such as corpulence, baldness and style of dress

IRL I am more corpulent and balder than both, and I wear clothes from Moochers.

I criticize Howie and Ashie and the crew as I feel is appropriate but I applaud and stand by their stance on, for example penalties for Covid offenders and strict border controls. Well done chaps.

Edited by Barlow

The discussions from most of the posters (not necessarily the ones who post the most ! ) is about the systems and processes upon which serious and life consequence decisions are made.  For a great many people.

HQ and DA are the public presentation of the strategies and policies determined by CoMIN and are right to have them challenged and questioned by the media and Joe public. That is their role and what they get paid for.

When things have not been explained properly, or there is or has been an apparent breakdown of communication, the lack of openness and transparency can create a sense of "they are not telling us everything" or even "they have acted too late" or "they have got it wrong again".

Let's face it, there is a lot of history to fall back on when it comes to criticism of Government strategy and operations.

I don't care what they look like but like most people I care about the impact their decisions are having on us, our children and families and of course businesses and the economy.

So my take on it is please deal with this in a different way to the things you have tried to deal with before, and that unfortunately don't always end successfully.  

That is what this thread should be about.

Edited by Apple
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Len Trench said:

In response to Mr Barlow I do not think our border controls are strict enough.

Two weeks penance and your brains poked or three without the probe, but only if you are a Manx resident, that's fairly strict.

Key workers who come over with reduced isolation are afforded no freedoms beyond going to work and back. That's pretty good as controls go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Two weeks penance and your brains poked or three without the probe, but only if you are a Manx resident, that's fairly strict.

Key workers who come over with reduced isolation are afforded no freedoms beyond going to work and back. That's pretty good as controls go.

Yeah. Agreed. Believe me, if we made the controls stricter key people would refuse to come here.

Edited by Happier diner

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Interview with SPCO employee on isolating issues 

https://gef.im/gef/steampacketarticle?fbclid=IwAR2vc8A7iR18EkhuJSfdfrl2Hun33OwaQCWVG4ZJyx-s2BIWgYa1GBtaEHA

I’m fully in support of the staff on this matter 

So am I.

This is what you get with arms length management companies. (ALMO's).

Expect the same sort of problems from Manx Care next year.

• Like 1