IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I've not heard anything yet about anyone being ill from those testing positive, bizarre when you see how badly people are affected across the water. I wonder if back in late 2019, when there was a massive amount of school kids and adults alike who had a nasty flu type virus over here, it was covid? I do remember lots of chat with colleagues who said they were knocked for 6 and I remember some talk about a school closing late 2019 although not sure how  true this was. Maybe us Manxies have some type of immunity from then? 

8 minutes ago, Manxas said:

I've not heard anything yet about anyone being ill from those testing positive, bizarre when you see how badly people are affected across the water. I wonder if back in late 2019, when there was a massive amount of school kids and adults alike who had a nasty flu type virus over here, it was covid? I do remember lots of chat with colleagues who said they were knocked for 6 and I remember some talk about a school closing late 2019 although not sure how  true this was. Maybe us Manxies have some type of immunity from then? 

I think most of the cases now are younger, a number with teenage children etc, the hospital cases tend to be very elderly or those with serious health issues normally.

11 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Early on there was a lot of comments like this.  My brother who is late 30s and quite fit in Dec 2019 was in Spain and was completely bed ridden with the 'worst flu of his life'.  It seems various sources and re-testing of old samples are confirming that Covid was circulating in Europe at least a month before it was initially confirmed. 

You have to account for the fact that alot of cases are asymptomatic.  People may not even be aware that they have it until they are told to have a test as part of contact tracing and then turn out to have it.  Also with the incubation periods etc, realistically you probably aren't going to get that sick in the first week of having it.  

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Early on there was a lot of comments like this.  My brother who is late 30s and quite fit in Dec 2019 was in Spain and was completely bed ridden with the 'worst flu of his life'.  It seems various sources and re-testing of old samples are confirming that Covid was circulating in Europe at least a month before it was initially confirmed. 

You have to account for the fact that alot of cases are asymptomatic.  People may not even be aware that they have it until they are told to have a test as part of contact tracing and then turn out to have it.  Also with the incubation periods etc, realistically you probably aren't going to get that sick in the first week of having it.  

What? ...

You mean it might not have been as deadly as made out?

Get away with you - madness!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Cases will start dropping off next week, these will probably be day 6/7 tests on those close contacts already in isolation. Everyone needs to calm down, the Facebook mob are already on the call for lockdown and starting conspiracy theories!!

Actually I agree. I couldn't resist the joke. I am calm as you could be and ready for a pint in the boozer tonight as usual

39 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Whilst I do sympathise with the staff. Why are we blaming the Chief Minister and the Health minister. Seems to me that the management of the SPCo may have signed up to an exemption that their staff cannot realistically meet. The Chief Minister does not sign these things off. The procedure is

1) The company apply for an exemption from the normal isolation procedure. This exemption contains a risk assessment and details the steps that the company will take to prevent the spread of the virus into the Island

2) This is submitted to the cabinet office who assess the measure (along the the Dir PH)

3) The exemption is approved if tyey are happy with it and a certificate is issued

Maybe the SPCo didn't bother telling the staff what was expected of them as Government seem very cocky that the fault isn't with them

We have been promised full details so will be interesting to see.

Isn't DOI responsible/sponsoring dept for IOMSPCo affairs? 

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Bit of a mixed message here. But regarding the young man who was ill, if the world has to learn to live with this for ever now, sadly there will be examples like this. The flu vaccine is only offered to the oldies and vulnerable currently. I wonder if the Rona vaccine will be given to everyone every year.

29 minutes ago, Manxas said:

The non-community community case in the coffee shop was symptomatic. I also know of at least one other person who is ill. Not all of these cases are asymptomatic.

Just because they aren't publicising the fact people are ill doesn't mean that people aren't ill! 

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Bit of a mixed message here. But regarding the young man who was ill, if the world has to learn to live with this for ever now, sadly there will be examples like this. The flu vaccine is only offered to the oldies and vulnerable currently. I wonder if the Rona vaccine will be given to everyone every year.

Flu mutates rapidly, hence different vaccine every year. You vaccinate for the most prevalent strain in the other hemisphere, as it'll come your way in winter.

The Rona vaccine targets the spike, and if the spike changes too much, the virus can't attach to your cells and dies out.

So it'll really be a question of how long term immunity works, which could be years+ like with SARS-1. We simply don't know yet.

18 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The non-community community case in the coffee shop was symptomatic. I also know of at least one other person who is ill. Not all of these cases are asymptomatic.

Just because they aren't publicising the fact people are ill doesn't mean that people aren't ill! 

Thanks Ham n Eggs, like I said at the beginning of my post, 'I hadn't heard anything yet' about people being ill. Thanks for clarifying that you have :)

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

But then of course there is being ill and being ill enough to require hospital treatment and it seems that none of these so far have had to be admitted to hospital for covid treatment. 

• Like 2

Just now, thommo2010 said:

All 8 already in isolation. Seems the plan is working just fine

Well working fine for most people. Although some might swear that there are still a disproportionate amount of people doing the social media equivalent of a rain dance praying for the lockdown God to appear and save us all. But certainly it seems that common sense has prevailed so far.

• Like 1