IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Well working fine for most people. Although some might swear that there are still a disproportionate amount of people doing the social media equivalent of a rain dance praying for the lockdown God to appear and save us all. But certainly it seems that common sense has prevailed so far.

As soon as theres one case those same people want lockdown. I dont get that kind of thinking. I dread to think what it will be like when the borders open. I'm guessing the government will stop reporting on cases and publishing it daily

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

What? ...

You mean it might not have been as deadly as made out?

Get away with you - madness!

Well it was bad. For a fit 30 year old. That's how it was made out. "Worst 'flu of his life"

You'll be ok though Ndp. For now. But your Mom and your Pop maybe not, who knows. And your grannies and grandads - well they'll possibly die a horrible slow death where their lungs can't deliver oxygen to the rest of their iorgans anymore and the body expires of exhaustion.

Aye.

But you'll be alright chuck. You'll be just fine.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

For now. But your Mom and your Pop maybe not, who knows. And your grannies and grandads - well they'll possibly die a horrible slow death where their lungs can't deliver oxygen to the rest of their iorgans anymore and the body expires of exhaustion.

What an extraordinary statement to make. From what I have read most still die with covid (ie, of something else within 28 days of a covid test but where covid may have been contributory) not gasping to death on a hospital ventilator. To suggest that’s likely the norm is really being a touch over dramatic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manxas said:

I've not heard anything yet about anyone being ill from those testing positive, bizarre when you see how badly people are affected across the water. I wonder if back in late 2019, when there was a massive amount of school kids and adults alike who had a nasty flu type virus over here, it was covid? I do remember lots of chat with colleagues who said they were knocked for 6 and I remember some talk about a school closing late 2019 although not sure how  true this was. Maybe us Manxies have some type of immunity from then? 

It was human metapneumovirus. Fair few people with 'COVID-like' symptoms in the early outbreak in 2020 tested positive for this but negative for COVID. They would have just had a "negative" COVID test and their doc wouldn't have told them about the other result. Hence how I had to do so much "you really don't have COVID if you've had a negative test" public engagement last year.

Or as I describe it normally: "Other viruses are available(TM)"

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well it was bad. For a fit 30 year old. That's how it was made out. "Worst 'flu of his life"

You'll be ok though Ndp. For now. But your Mom and your Pop maybe not, who knows. And your grannies and grandads - well they'll possibly die a horrible slow death where their lungs can't deliver oxygen to the rest of their iorgans anymore and the body expires of exhaustion.

Aye.

But you'll be alright chuck. You'll be just fine.

I've seen stories of people 80+ recover from covid. It's not an automatic death sentence and this type of post doesn't help

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CowMan said:

What an extraordinary statement to make. From what I have read most still die with covid (ie, of something else within 28 days of a covid test but where covid may have been contributory) not gasping to death on a hospital ventilator. To suggest that’s likely the norm is really being a touch over dramatic. 

Interesting; and where are you reading this? Do you have any articles or source material I could read?

10 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There’s so much we can knock about their policy, attitudes and behaviours, we don’t need to stoop to the level of snickering about a hair cut. 

Nothing to do with his haircut! He looked like he'd just climbed out of bed after a heavy session!

29 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Interesting; and where are you reading this? Do you have any articles or source material I could read?

Well the UK ventilator death rate seems to be around 42% from what I can see and only a smallish percentage of very bad cases end up on a ventilator anyway. So less than half of the smallish number of covid cases that end up having to be ventilated actually die. Therefore I’d say that the rather aggressive and inaccurate statement above was simply an attempt at over dramatizing the death risks. Deaths remain recorded as with covid (ie, within 28 days of a positive covid test) whether covid is the cause of death or not.

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I've seen stories of people 80+ recover from covid. It's not an automatic death sentence and this type of post doesn't help

It doesn't help. And yes, of course it is not an automatic death sentence. Who said it was?

1 hour ago, CowMan said:

I certainly didn't suggest it was the norm. 

Edited by Barlow

32 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You've really no excuse because you actually quoted Barlow's post:

But your Mom and your Pop maybe not, who knows. And your grannies and grandads - well they'll possibly die a horrible slow death where their lungs can't deliver oxygen to the rest of their organs anymore and the body expires of exhaustion.

(my bold)  If you think those words mean 'automatic', then you haven't got much grip on the English language.  Barlow was quite clearly pointing out the well known fact that the older you are the bigger the risk of dying from Covid if you catch it.  There is a constant problem with discussions around Covid, too many people want to ignore subtleties and see everything in all or nothing terms - either something is bound to kill people or we can easily ignore it.  Life's not like that.

So not everyone over a certain age dies, but equally the fact that some people survive doesn't mean everything is OK and we shouldn't worry.  The likelihood of someone over 80 who catches Covid dying from it (their Case Fatality Rate) varies over time and by country, but is generally in the mid-teen percentages.  If someone was going round demanding that old people play Russian Roulette, we would think them insane and dangerous, but the odds are similar.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1