IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The likelihood of someone over 80 who catches Covid dying from it (their Case Fatality Rate) varies over time and by country, but is generally in the mid-teen percentages.  If someone was going round demanding that old people play Russian Roulette, we would think them insane and dangerous, but the odds are similar.

But the average annual chance of dying around 85 years old is 1 in 6 or 7 anyway so I would assume you then get a mid teen percentage of dying from covid on top of the 1 in 6 general mortality risk which is a relatively low number. The odds of being killed playing Russian Roulette seem to be a round 1 in 3. So again whether an 85 year old chooses to play Russian Roulette or not they’re not really adding too much to the 1 in 6 risk of dying in the next year from natural causes.

1 hour ago, pongo said:

You still avoiding the news and reading The Express? (MH370 found on the moon. Princess Diana murdered by MI6 etc)

Work colleague's mother in law. Aged 92 from Liverpool. Picked up the virus, into hozzy and back out again in 5 days. Back at home now.

42 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It was in the 'community' between these people being told to isolate and showing positive.

That track n trace has identified these infected after a few days searching seems to be ignored for political reasons?

Simply because the economy can't take another lockdown. We don't have another £18 - £25m to lockdown for another month. 

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

It was in the 'community' between these people being told to isolate and showing positive.

That track n trace has identified these infected after a few days searching seems to be ignored for political reasons?

I dont think anyone is "ignoring" anything.

It looks like a more pragmatic strategy is being followed.   Panicking and plunging everyone into lockdown over a handful of cases doesn't make sense.

The strategy needs to balance genuine risk (of death or serious health implications for numbers of people) and the wider picture of the economy and the fact that the vast percentage of the population are going to be just fine.

A decent number of the really vulnerable are now vaccinated in some form or other too.  So they need to be removed from the decision making now because in the not too distant future that's exactly what is going to be happening - covid will be a permanent thing impacting a small amount of people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

But they would have had a day 1 testing as close contacts and were negative and now only show positive after day 7 so highly unlikely to have been contagious. Something like 200 were put in isolation so expect a few more cases yet as those in isolation spread it to each other 

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

You seem to fall into the category of what is sadly a wide number people who consistently seem to rub their hands with glee every time something like this happens. Why do people wish to default to a community transmission and immediate lockdown argument? These people have been tracked quickly and all their contacts tested. Even the people in Java have had what is effectively a Day 6 or 7 day test (Tuesday to the next Monday or Tuesday is 6 or 7 days from assumed exposure) and would likely have shown symptoms before then in most cases or tested positive on testing if they’ve got it. Whatever it is it has been contained so far. We should be pleased with that not constantly banging the lockdown drum like it means anything. At some stage we need to learn to live with all this not run to the hills every time there’s one case. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

The meltdown is strong in some it is.

The one thing I take exception to is government appearing to pander to those sort of people. I think twice in his announcement on the SPC outbreak Ashford referred to SPC people regularly visiting “the covid zone” like it was something straight out of 28 Days Later. It’s awful science fiction type language suggesting the the rest of the world is filthy and disease ridden but we’re still in some sort of controlled bubble. That sort of language really doesn’t help in relation to some of the warped lockdown ideas people seem to have developed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CowMan said:

The one thing I take exception to is government appearing to pander to those sort of people. I think twice in his announcement on the SPC outbreak Ashford referred to SPC people regularly visiting “the covid zone” like it was something straight out of 28 Days Later. It’s awful science fiction type language suggesting the the rest of the world is filthy and disease ridden but we’re still in some sort of controlled bubble. That sort of language really doesn’t help in relation to some of the warped lockdown ideas people seem to have developed.

Do you not think that maybe it’s the other way around in that ‘these sorts of people’ are acting and saying the things they do purely and simply as a consequence of their government’s statements etc? I find it difficult to believe the government ‘pander’ to anything and anyone unless it brings them money. By using emotive and unscientific language like your ‘Covid zone’ example, the elderly and vulnerable are very likely to be disturbed and panicked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I dont think anyone is "ignoring" anything.

It looks like a more pragmatic strategy is being followed.   Panicking and plunging everyone into lockdown over a handful of cases doesn't make sense  

I think something has changed in their heads. Be that Alf saying the money tree isn’t there, or Boris has sent an email to say stop making the UK look bad or he’ll cut off the cash-flow (yes I’m being facetious). 

If this was before the last lockdown, I expect they would’ve acted significantly quicker, even if it was to suggest social distancing and masks. Whether they’re actually using what they learnt from the last outbreak to re-assess their approach is a total unknown. You’d hope so  

HQ has been notably MIA on our screens and radios for the past few days. 

Bear in mind that most of the vulnerable have only recently had their first dose, or have only just had their second. And there are plenty who are still waiting. 

Whilst living with COVID will become the norm, I’d agree, rare as that may be, with the government that protecting the vaccination program is valuable. We can support normality in the meantime and Banker going to the pub, let’s not piss those freedoms away for unrestricted borders a few months too early. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think something has changed in their heads. Be that Alf saying the money tree isn’t there, or Boris has sent an email to say stop making the UK look bad or he’ll cut off the cash-flow (yes I’m being facetious). 

If this was before the last lockdown, I expect they would’ve acted significantly quicker, even if it was to suggest social distancing and masks. Whether they’re actually using what they learnt from the last outbreak to re-assess their approach is a total unknown. You’d hope so  

HQ has been notably MIA on our screens and radios for the past few days. 

Bear in mind that most of the vulnerable have only recently had their first dose, or have only just had their second. And there are plenty who are still waiting. 

Whilst living with COVID will become the norm, I’d agree, rare as that may be, with the government that protecting the vaccination program is valuable. We can support normality in the meantime and Banker going to the pub, let’s not piss those freedoms away for unrestricted borders a few months too early. 

I generally agree.

The borders are likely to be opened by the end of June in my view.

• Like 1