IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

17 hours ago, Banker said:

Have a look at 3 Fm , news & politics etc , my opinion is mine so not sure what your question is

By indicating 'what people are saying on Facebook' is what I meant.

But OK...I see what you mean. I have just remembered again why I rarely, if ever, comment on Facebook. Good for a laugh to read through though, but not in a funny hah hah way.

Rationale, reason and intellect has a very different dynamic there to Manx Forums.

Covid-19 and pandemics are way beyond the wide and capable intellect needed to understand it, let alone offer meaningful comment or act on it.

Howie and Ashie don't have that intellect. As it happens, and as many would agree, the results of that happened to be a good thing.

Edited by Barlow
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

A lot of the positives have caught it whilst in isolation from the original few cases , lots of teenagers, 4 at rock school, several at gymnastics etc

I assume that you meant that they have developed it in isolation after catching it at these activities, maybe passing it on to siblings and/or parents while co-isolating.   The original cases would presumably (we don't have the genomics to confirm) been via the Steam Packet employee(s) and family. 

This sort of outbreak is very dangerous because of the number of potential contacts schoolkids have.  The newer variants of the virus seem to be spreading a lot this way (though we may have got better looking for them there).  What may have saved the day here is it being half-term with the number of potential contact reduced.

But at the moment we don't really know if the day has been saved.  We're assuming that those now testing positive have been isolating since the first bout of contact tracing, but being "already in self-isolation. They will continue to self-isolate with their households and further tests will be offered" could mean they have only recently entered it.

Communications have been consistently second rate because they have been aimed not at informing the public fully and trusting them, but at saying the bare minimum and expecting that people will be reassured.  Again the contrast with New Zealand where information is released fully as soon as it is known is very marked.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I assume that you meant that they have developed it in isolation after catching it at these activities, maybe passing it on to siblings and/or parents while co-isolating.   The original cases would presumably (we don't have the genomics to confirm) been via the Steam Packet employee(s) and family. 

This sort of outbreak is very dangerous because of the number of potential contacts schoolkids have.  The newer variants of the virus seem to be spreading a lot this way (though we may have got better looking for them there).  What may have saved the day here is it being half-term with the number of potential contact reduced.

But at the moment we don't really know if the day has been saved.  We're assuming that those now testing positive have been isolating since the first bout of contact tracing, but being "already in self-isolation. They will continue to self-isolate with their households and further tests will be offered" could mean they have only recently entered it.

Communications have been consistently second rate because they have been aimed not at informing the public fully and trusting them, but at saying the bare minimum and expecting that people will be reassured.  Again the contrast with New Zealand where information is released fully as soon as it is known is very marked.

The communication had actually been fine.

It's reassuring that the communication strategy doesn't simply bow down to the Karens going mental on Facebook etc.

Most logical and rational people understand the situation.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Er, yeah ok.  Seems quite a bizarre time for the open up and ride out the storm brigade to present with such a concerted effort.  Actually no, no it doesn't

More people are finally understanding that a calm and controlled approach is the way forward.

Those who want to hide in a lead lined bunker can.  Those who can take a pragmatic view can get about their daily business.

A fair proportion of the truly vulnerable have been vaccinated or at least had the first jab.  This is the future so we might as well get used to it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pongo said:

In the future this will seem like the good old days.

I was hoping to feel a bit less depressed from some of the last bizarre sweeping doomsday statements people have made but that’s really knocked any potential for cheering me up for a good week. When do you expect Armageddon to commence?

33 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I was hoping to feel a bit less depressed from some of the last bizarre sweeping doomsday statements people have made but that’s really knocked any potential for cheering me up for a good week. When do you expect Armageddon to commence?

I have to say that I don't find it all depressing; frustrating, irritating and feeling a bit of a mushroom, yes, but not depressing.  We have got used to being in control of nature but she has the upper hand and, in a way, it is a salutary lesson. 

• Like 3