IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

This MF member so called “rachomics” seems to be so knowledgeable; perhaps so much skill and experience is a bit wasted on this forum.

It's like an open secret...I'm the PhD that set up the on-Island COVID-19 testing. If you want to find out who I really am, just search Twitter for the same username :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

This MF member so called “rachomics” seems to be so knowledgeable; perhaps so much skill and experience is a bit wasted on this forum.

Check this paper:

Scientists uncover SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell immunity in recovered COVID-19 and SARS patients
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-scientists-uncover-sars-cov-specific-cell-immunity.html

That's not a paper. That's a blog post. I know which paper it refers to but maybe you should refer people to the original *scientific* paper instead. That's the good stuff. 

10 minutes ago, rachomics said:

It's like an open secret...I'm the PhD that set up the on-Island COVID-19 testing. If you want to find out who I really am, just search Twitter for the same username :lol:

I think there is a bit of a clue in your user name. How can people not realise who you are ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I think there is a bit of a clue in your user name. How can people not realise who you are ?

Dunno. I'm pretty open about who I am when I post online. It helps to dispel the bullshit and educate the masses. Or at least that's what I tell myself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frances said:

the T-cell hypothesis looks as tho it may well explain differing responses between countries - I wonder if there has been any research to see if the many annual flu vaccinations esp for older patients has provided any immunity as flu and Covid belong to the same family of viruses and exploit very similar pathways.

Influenza and coronaviruses are VERY different. A good metaphor is humans and slugs.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Seems a lot more on island had Covid than previously thought, 1600 estimate from antibody tests 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56755&headline=Over 1,600 might have had Covid&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

According to that article, the mid point of the range given is a suspiciously precise 2100 which equates to exactly 2.5% of the population.  It's about what you would expect from the figures there have been in other countries.  

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

According to that article, the mid point of the range given is a suspiciously precise 2100 which equates to exactly 2.5% of the population.  It's about what you would expect from the figures there have been in other countries.  

It’s a deliberately imprecise figure Roger. You’re right that the overall estimate is 2.5%, to 2 significant figures. Quoting more precision than that would be inappropriate, given the sample size, specificity of the test, and confidence ranges. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Influenza and coronaviruses are VERY different. A good metaphor is humans and slugs.

Reminds me of one of my favourite lines when someone refers to lobster as fish. I point out that it would be more correct for a lobster to refer to us as fish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

It’s a deliberately imprecise figure Roger. You’re right that the overall estimate is 2.5%, to 2 significant figures. Quoting more precision than that would be inappropriate, given the sample size, specificity of the test, and confidence ranges. 

Oh I assumed that's what it was because of the way the different population that were being combined.  It just amused me that they (rightly) produced a rough figure and then put precise confidence limits on it.  Naturally IOM Newspapers then took the lower one as gospel while Manx Radio did the same with the higher figure.

Luckily Manx Radio did actually link to the Report, so we can make our own minds up.

25 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I can think of one or two people who do a fair job of combining both......

Are we right to assume that given the findings of the report, somewhere between 1,500 - 2,500 persons on our little Island are wandering around having already had the virus but were blissfully unaware in the majority of cases that they had ... ?

But, we are being held captive anyway.

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Are we right to assume that given the findings of the report, somewhere between 1,500 - 2,500 persons on our little Island are wandering around having already had the virus but were blissfully unaware in the majority of cases that they had ... ?

But, we are being held captive anyway.

You have to deduct the number that were diagnosed from those figures.