IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

50 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I was hoping to feel a bit less depressed from some of the last bizarre sweeping doomsday statements people have made but that’s really knocked any potential for cheering me up for a good week. When do you expect Armageddon to commence?

Ignore Pingu, he always lost absolute rubbish to try and irritate people or he is really as stupid as he sounds!

• Sad 1

So once UK has a handle and frees up more and more bed space, say in a month or so, and we've given at least the 1st dose to 1st cohort (over 50's, vulnerable etc.), by end of May, what are the odds we'll relax travel?

On the assumption if we had a sudden spike in hospital cases in the dozens (which is appearing to be less and less likely as the vaccines seem to be effective in reducing that risk in the UK now) we can ship them off to blighty if we can't cope.

I’ll be honest me and the mrs were supposed to be going out on Saturday night for dinner we had a baby sitter etc booked...we have decided though to give it a miss whilst things settle down don’t need to be caught out like Java. We will get a takeaway from tandoor instead.

to me that seems a sensible approach that we have made as grown ups and what we think is right for us..

why can’t the moaners on Facebook just do what is right for them instead of moaning

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

So once UK has a handle and frees up more and more bed space, say in a month or so, and we've given at least the 1st dose to 1st cohort (over 50's, vulnerable etc.), by end of May, what are the odds we'll relax travel?

On the assumption if we had a sudden spike in hospital cases in the dozens (which is appearing to be less and less likely as the vaccines seem to be effective in reducing that risk in the UK now) we can ship them off to blighty if we can't cope.

All over 50s & vulnerable will have had both jabs by end of May according to ashie, borders policy due to be published tomorrow apparently 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have to say that I don't find it all depressing; frustrating, irritating and feeling a bit of a mushroom, yes, but not depressing.  We have got used to being in control of nature but she has the upper hand and, in a way, it is a salutary lesson. 

Thank you but I was being facetious really. The apparent deliberate attempts to try to spread depression and doomsday scenarios, I felt, needed to be recognized and applauded. How will these days look like the good old days as suggested? Things aren’t going to get much worse from what I can see. We aren’t going to arrive at some utopian new normal either from what I can determine. We’ll just go back to the same lives much as they did in 1918 and likely in 50 years time, just like 1918, it’s probably going to be just as hard for historians to determine what the actual true impact and death toll from all of this actually was. When I was at school from a historical perspective there was far more focus on the impact of the 1929 market crash and the ensuing Great Depression than there was about the impact of the Spanish Flu which allegedly killed 50 million people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Documentary on the latest developments on Covid, BBC2,  9pm.

Thanks for the heads up; K number, vaccination, genomics (in whatever form, it could inform treatment, transmissabilty and backward tracing, but that's a repetitive and fruitless argument) and improved treatment techniques- who'd have thought putting someone on their stomach would have such a positive effect on the outcome? 

The atmosphere of disappointment feels palpable today. No propaganda broadcast from Howie and Ashie to look forward too at 4pm, and then the prospect of lots of people having to go to work as normal next week because they’ve turned the lock down machine off. 

14 hours ago, CowMan said:

I was hoping to feel a bit less depressed from some of the last bizarre sweeping doomsday statements people have made but that’s really knocked any potential for cheering me up for a good week. When do you expect Armageddon to commence?

The depressing aspect from my perspective is you and @Bankertrying much too hard to misunderstand my light-hearted comment. It is a simple fact that, from the future, the present almost invariably comes to seem like a better time.

But let's be honest: The doomsters here have been those who constantly predicted the collapse of markets and economies whilst failing to also see the  opportunities which change always offers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pongo said:

The depressing aspect from my perspective is you and @Bankertrying much too hard to misunderstand my light-hearted comment. It is a simple fact that, from the future, the present almost invariably comes to seem like a better time.

But let's be honest: The doomsters here have been those who constantly predicted the collapse of markets and economies whilst failing to also see the  opportunities which change always offers.

The problem, Pongo, is that both sides argue for their side on the macro level, while against the other on the micro level.  So, yes there are opportunities on a macro level, but individual businesses will fail, and yes, covid is not as deadly a disease and it is being brought under control at a macro level, but individuals are still dying or their health is being significantly impacted. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CowMan said:

The atmosphere of disappointment feels palpable today. No propaganda broadcast from Howie and Ashie to look forward too at 4pm, and then the prospect of lots of people having to go to work as normal next week because they’ve turned the lock down machine off. 

The latest Government briefing broadcast was very well subscribed with over 6,000 viewers. That's a whole field full of sheds load of people

That is as many  people who signed the petition against the toilet tax.  I wonder if it's the same people? I'm not sure if I am comparing like with like, and for the witless possibly I am being irrational, but there you go.

1 hour ago, CowMan said:

No news is good news as far as most people are concerned but yes there’s lots that want a lockdown particularly if weather is good, normally those who get full pay and can get away with not doing much work at home !

• Like 3

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/marketing-campaign-underway-to-welcome-back-visitors/

What'ss not to like

• Endure a 4hrs bumpy trip on a scruffy old boat wit horrible food and over priced cabins
  • Isolate for 2 weeks (or 3weeks if you don't get tested)
  • Go for a walk along the prom
  • Endure a 4hrs bumpy trip on a scruffy old boat wit horrible food and over priced cabins

They are going to be a flocking here!

• Haha 1