IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

So the excuse appears to be Government directed the Steam Packet and what? They, the SPC, just ignored it, misfiled it or couldn't get their staff to comply at all? Rather than go back to Government and say "Hey, this is unworkable because.... XYZ, how would it be if we tested before and after each shift, vaccinated our staff and put this enhanced PPE & contact protocol in place?"

Wonder where the enterprising lawyers are? After 11 months when this company and its staff essentially ignored a specific Government Covid directive and did their own thing with apparently no consequences. Yet a member of the public breeches their notice and ends up in prison for 4-6 weeks? 

NWYK,BWYK I guess.

I'm not advocating the SPC or staff are actually jailed for this, it's just the hypocrisy of our Government especially when you factor in risk (or odds) of 1 person on 1 trip who would probably have been isolating alone or with their family (and probably put in solitary on arrival too!) versus what 20+(?) crew over 300 days with their households obviously free to mingle.

There is someone in Government who dropped the ball and as a minimum they should never be allowed anywhere near public health after such an obvious dereliction of duty. Yes, the risk was mitigated by the SPC crew but in spite of not because of any Government action. 

I'd like to presume the Government have at least followed up with other carriers?

Thankfully the vaccination does appear to be the way out and shortly, a few months, things will return to the good old days.

8 hours ago, Banker said:

No news is good news as far as most people are concerned but yes there’s lots that want a lockdown particularly if weather is good, normally those who get full pay and can get away with not doing much work at home !

I’m fully with you there. But there do seem to be people who are genuinely disappointed that all this hasn’t ended in a lockdown as yet.

4 hours ago, jaymann said:

Heard on the rumour mill today that HQ reluctant on lockdown due to daughters private birthday at 1886 at the weekend that they had UK visitors over for after completing isolation.

I think if you believe that you’ll believe pretty much anything to be honest. Was this the same daughter that they also blamed for him being slow on shutting the borders in the original lockdown as she was allegedly on her way back to the IOM from overseas? 😂 The conspiracies get better by the day. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Nope Mark Woodward said come after us we don’t sail - that’s where the power in this one is - no Govt Minister or CS Stooge has any room to wiggle- Steam Packet win or we all go hungry...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Nope Mark Woodward said come after us we don’t sail - that’s where the power in this one is - no Govt Minister or CS Stooge has any room to wiggle- Steam Packet win or we all go hungry...

Seems unlikely given the govt own it. Worse case scenario, surely they could just sack everyone and get in a non-union crew. Probably be cheaper too. IOM has lots of companies which do crewing.

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I think we all know the answer to that one.

The crew have never been doing it  The government thought they had. The crew complained that they wouldn't do it even if they were forced into it. The government says, alright then, don't bother.

I don't know what the government are thinking. What I do know is that until around the beginning of December, anyone could apply to do a return trip in order to pick up a pet without doing 14 day isolation. That was changed and has since caused much complaint. If the general public can (in the past) do a day return without isolation, why should the crew, most of whom are not public facing, have the same privilege? 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Yes the normal crew demanding press conference, face masks, lockdown are a bit quieter tonight 😀

You wanna go to Scotland. They start gnawing their ain sporrans if they don't get their daily fix of Nicola on the telly.

47 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If I only petrol station woman had something to bargain with.

The majority of the island was pitchfork sharpened and ready about that woman. Off she went to prison. The government puts us all at risk due to their ineptitude and everyone’s like, “Bless Howard Quayle and Mr Ashford for keeping our lovely Island safe.”

My arse. 

Yes I feel very sorry for that woman too; and all the others. How many was it in the end? Around 50 people? I understand quite a few of them are appealing their sentences currently so hopefully this u-turn gives their lawyers some ammunition especially the ones who were told not being made aware of the rules was no excuse before they were sent down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CowMan said:

Yes I feel very sorry for that woman too; and all the others. How many was it in the end? Around 50 people? I understand quite a few of them are appealing their sentences currently so hopefully this u-turn gives their lawyers some ammunition especially the ones who were told not being made aware of the rules was no excuse before they were sent down. 

And what about the poor woman who was fleeing domestic abuse and got locked up for breaking COVID laws?