IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I think a legal lockdown will be put in place tomorrow.  They just can't do it today hence the request rather than the mandatory approach .

Agreed, unfortunately.

Dont recall the exact phrase and no way I am listening to it again.

HQ said something along the lines of “we can’t give you the news we want to give you without the data we will have tomorrow”

I interpreted that as “we have already decided on a lockdown but can’t justify it just yet”

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Agreed, unfortunately.

Dont recall the exact phrase and no way I am listening to it again.

HQ said something along the lines of “we can’t give you the news we want to give you without the data we will have tomorrow”

I interpreted that as “we have already decided on a lockdown but can’t justify it just yet”

Far too much of a panic.  No need for what has happened today.  Things should be carrying on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not saying they should, but if they are returning home between sailings, and are not being swabbed then,  what is the point of swabbing them at the beginning of their week shift and at the end? 

To check they haven't caught it whilst off work and to check they haven't caught it whilst at work.

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

To check they haven't caught it whilst off work and to check they haven't caught it whilst at work.

So, say for example, ABS Killey, is tested on day 1 and is clear, but picks up the virus on his first voyage, he is returning home whilst infected only to be found on day 7.  It doesn't make sense which is why I asked if they stayed on board. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

'Stay at home if you want to' is an interesting approach, that's for sure.

Like 'wear a mask if you want to'.

I'm surprised the Isle of Man Gov message isn't "get a vaccine, if you want to" too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Far too much of a panic.  No need for what has happened today.  Things should be carrying on.

Asking people to be conscientious is a quick and easy way to limit any further damage. 

If people who go on to test positive tomorrow, aren't out at the pub tonight, that'll make a fundamental difference to how difficult it is to contact trace all their contacts. That's the general point behind it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am not saying they should, but if they are returning home between sailings, and are not being swabbed then,  what is the point of swabbing them at the beginning of their week shift and at the end? 

Ah that innocent word “shift” ( not so subtly ) used to deceive.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Generally, we've had a grievance with the Government for the timeliness of the information and how that is disseminated.

For once, they gave us a press release immediately after their meeting, followed by a press conference the same day, with the fundamental information that we're at an unknown tipping point.

Whilst they maybe didn't suggest prudence in the best way, it is a significant improvement in how quickly we're finding out officially what is going on.

• Like 6