IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I'd guess test results from close contacts and contact tracing data.

If the two positives were out snogging everyone at the pub, versus having spent the week indoors working from home, two very different risk profiles.

It would be amusing and sensible if it was both contact tracing backed up by the genomics and they have used Dr Glover's services on the q.t. 

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 3

It seems everyone wants to be treated like a stupid child. We've been told what's happening and the suggested actions to be taken to minimise risk until they have more information. I'm sure we are becoming a race of helpless dummies who can't make a sensible decision to save our lives, literally!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Manx radio media  feed - "Mr Quayle says he can't understand anger in the public. He says until today the situation was under control. Today's situation is totally different.  It appears to have nothing to do with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company' - Quayle"

Interesting that any SPC connection was dismissed so quickly without any test evidence. Also noticed strangely premature comments during the briefing that we may never know how these new cases originated. Almost as if ignorance and no SPC link is the preferred option.

If only there was a quick, easy and free way to show if this is a completely new cluster (arguably the worst outcome) whose origin needs to be chased down to limit the damage and check the protocols involved to ensure there are no stable doors left open, for example.

OR its just a missing link in the track and trace process from the original SPC case, which is perfectly understandable. At least we know that stable door has been closed and the track and trace process could look for the gap.  But then if this gets a lot worse and people focus on how it went wrong they may decide it was GOV negligence in insisting on an unworkable SPC protocol which they just assumed was actually being followed for a year and finally failing to at least use vaccination and testing to minimise what can never be zero risk until it was too late.

Despite the obvious benefits of knowing which it is it will be very telling if a certain duo continue to decide ignorance is bliss.

Edited by Lewis
typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I disagree. I think he's giving a heads-up to people so they can decide for themselves whether to stay home or not rather than hitting town and crowded places. Given that the government have been historically tardy in their information dissemination, I'm kind of glad that someone else is jumping the gun.  That's twice he's done it now and twice he's been right.

Here here. I'm not optimistic about the outcome but yes it's quite right to get the results of today's tests as we would have looked silly if they were all negative. As you rightly say people can make their own decisions and we can all stay home for 24hours while the situation unfolds. 

Tough on pubs bars and restaurants but cant see a better way. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I disagree. I think he's giving a heads-up to people so they can decide for themselves whether to stay home or not rather than hitting town and crowded places. Given that the government have been historically tardy in their information dissemination, I'm kind of glad that someone else is jumping the gun.  That's twice he's done it now and twice he's been right.

That's ok, you're allowed to disagree.

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

The information was originally put out almost 24 hrs ago on Facebook by a parent whose son had tested positive earlier on that day, her post was actually about the fact it wasn’t included in that days figures, it later transpired he had no apparent contact with any of the existing cases/locations and that it must be some sort of conspiracy theory, I would say that left ample time for P.M to contact them and verify the information.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pongo said:

Anyone not treating this as a lockdown should probably be wearing a dunce's hat as well as a mask.

The only one who should be wearing a dunces cap is Howie for that presser, when asked will you support businesses & staff for closing voluntarily he said well no it’s taxpayers money!!! So all the non government workers get shafted again!!

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

The only one who should be wearing a dunces cap is Howie for that presser, when asked will you support businesses & staff for closing voluntarily he said well no it’s taxpayers money!!! So all the non government workers get shafted again!!

It's a fair point. I believe in Auckland they started with a 5 day lockdown. It was law though. I think they called it off after 3 days after test and trace appeared to have it. I didnt I don't think, but at least the businesses were covered in that they had no choice.

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

Anyone not treating this as a lockdown should probably be wearing a dunce's hat as well as a mask.

Why would that be? Quayle has made it clear that there is no compensation on offer to anyone for not being able to work so why on earth would anyone pay any attention to his request to voluntarily stay at home? I have no hesitation in not complying with his ‘request’ at all although I suspect we might now have the strange situation of everyone in government staying at home and no services being delivered and everyone else just cracking on with it.