IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I wonder how folk on the Isle of Man would feel if Guernsey had lifted their restrictions (I dunno maybe they have ICBA checking). I know there were a few going pear-shaped when they mixed up non-covid free Jersey with covid free Guernsey.

Anyway, we can all traipse off to UK now and come back after filling some forms and that.

34 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Any word yet on how the 1,000 'approx' Manx university students (and parents taking first year undergraduates over) are to be treated?

Many go early for prep courses beginning of September. 

There's got to be a reasonable chance we'll be at 'Level 2' by then, so it won't be an issue.

26 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Hopefully the same way as everyone else. There's no need for parents to travel with undergraduates either. Its mollycoddling.

Times have changed, 'tis true, and when I finished university my parents did come up to London and take me and my 'stuff' home.  However, the departure 3 years earlier was a lift to the station and a cheery wave-off.  Weighed down with a rucksack and guitar on back and heavy suitcases in each hand I was off to Paddington from where I humped this load into central London to register and then on to accommodation.  Not quite a RM fitness test but not far off.

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

There's got to be a reasonable chance we'll be at 'Level 2' by then, so it won't be an issue.

I think a lot of people are hoping the same although the pitchfork brigade won't!

see UK are estimating possibly 200.000 excess deaths caused by lockdowns because cancer, heart treatments, suicides, abuse victims which dwarfs the number who actually died from the virus. I am sure there will be a lot extra deaths in IOM as well from same reasons.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think a lot of people are hoping the same although the pitchfork brigade won't!

see UK are estimating possibly 200.000 excess deaths caused by lockdowns because cancer, heart treatments, suicides, abuse victims which dwarfs the number who actually died from the virus. I am sure there will be a lot extra deaths in IOM as well from same reasons.

This type of common sense narrative has no place here.

It’s all about the flu bug of death, not the catastrophic collateral it’s causing as a consequence of the panic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I don't know who 'UK' are, but that figure looks completely made up.  The number of excess deaths over a five year average for 2020 is shown as 53,979 in the latest ONS figures[1].  So unless you're suggesting that Covid-19 is so wonderful that it's caused 150,000 people to rise from the dead, those figures look dubious.

There's an interesting paradox here that has been rarely discussed.  Lockdown has almost certainly been reducing deaths from other causes as well - at least in the short term.  Some of this is obvious - if there is less traffic on the roads there will be fewer deaths in traffic accidents for example.  But I suspect that other features, such as vulnerable people self-isolating and  better infection control, may mean that there are fewer deaths from non-Covid infectious diseases and possible outbreaks haven't happened.

You can see that in the ONS figures.  Over the last few weeks deaths have been below average for the time of year.  This isn't because people have stopped dying of Covid-related causes (there were 532 registered in the most recent week) though the number is falling.  So the number from other causes must be lower. 

[1]  Based on death certificates registered to 3 July for England and Wales.

6 hours ago, piebaps said:

There's no need for parents to travel with undergraduates either. Its mollycoddling.

But surely they need someone to tuck them in and read them a story?

(imagine if they were joining the army and their mums all went too.)

Edited by pongo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

But surely they need someone to tuck them in and read them a story?

(imagine if they were joining the army and their mums all went too.)

But they’re not and a lot of parents would travel with 18 year old girls as well as boys to ensure they get to destination safely.

theres a lot more random violence and theft about now than 30/40 years ago

• Like 1