IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Given that most hospitality outlets have already closed, or moved to a socially distanced takeout approach as soon as the announcement happened, I'd say their sense of social responsibility is pretty spot on.

Nobody wants it running rife, and, the advice is to give them a day to work out what has happened. That's not entirely unreasonable. Nowhere wants their staff off for a fortnight self isolating either.

Social responsibility hmmm, rather they want to avoid SM persecution.

2 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Moderator means fuck all it's not a job.

Not that I should have to explain to you, but... I lost my livelihood during this pandemic and all my savings and nearly lost my house, had to pivot and just starting to bounce back.

If you can't have a small laugh at the situation sometimes to get through, then you're dead inside.

Nothing to laugh about though is there.  If you are self employed ( like me) then you need a cushion to protect you in situations like this.what is hard to understand about future proofing your income. Taking the moral high ground does not pay the bills.

• Confused 1

https://covid19.gov.im/outbreak-management-plan/outbreak-plan/

Assuming this plan is still 'the plan' - are we not perhaps just approaching level two where the response should be social distancing and face covering mandates?

It seems that a lot of the conversation is rather binary, being between locking down and no restrictions at all.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The circumstances around that link will inform whether there is a lockdown.

By the IOMG's own definition, we worry when there are cases with unexplained links. If genomics can explain those links, the situation may not be as bad as first thought. Unexplained links were the criteria for going into and coming out of lockdown last time.

If it can't explain the links, or suggests a chain of multiple transmission, we know we need to make more significant changes to our current approach.

This x 1000. I'm annoyed and angry that tomorrow we may well end being put back into lockdown due to unexplained cases. Yet if the powers that be would swallow their pride and ask Dr Glover to do some genomic testing, they may find an explanation. Even if there's isn't a direct link, surely it would at least point track and trace in the right direction as to where to look to find the missing link. It might not work, but why on earth wouldn't we try. In my opinion, it's unbelievably poor judgement bordering on negligence by our elected officials.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not me being pathetic, is it. Howie asked us adults to act as such. Some people don’t understand simple requests.

I never accused you of being pathetic or made such a suggestion. It was a just flippant and passing comment on you being typically active at a certain time of the evening.

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

If businesses have decided it is in their interest to close tonight, to protect themselves, their staff and their customers, that's reasonable.

Businesses have decided to close tonight as there is no business to be had as the entire population has been spooked ... 

To be honest we can argue or disagree/agree over lots of things but once again it would seem businesses and population have acted extremely sensibly and considered the big picture . Respect as they will have clearly lost money doing so. Not so sure how they will feel if they dont get some guidance and help if relevant tomorrow . And no I dont want a lock down in any shape or form as I really struggled the last one . 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The circumstances around that link will inform whether there is a lockdown.

By the IOMG's own definition, we worry when there are cases with unexplained links. If genomics can explain those links, the situation may not be as bad as first thought. Unexplained links were the criteria for going into and coming out of lockdown last time.

If it can't explain the links, or suggests a chain of multiple transmission, we know we need to make more significant changes to our current approach.

I’m well aware of that. I’m pointing out that even if there is a link to the cluster, but it’s two or three transmissions removed, it is in actual fact community transmission.

Just now, John Wright said:

I’m well aware of that. I’m pointing out that even if there is a link to the cluster, but it’s two or three transmissions removed, it is in actual fact community transmission.

Agreed, and if that's the case, that's a motivation for a more significant response, such as social distancing and masks. The next stage in the outbreak management plan.

The best case scenario is we find it was passed directly from one of the known cases, which may identify a venue or contact that was previously missed. It can then be followed from there before other sporadic positives. But might well evade a lockdown.

14 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Nothing to laugh about though is there.  If you are self employed ( like me) then you need a cushion to protect you in situations like this.what is hard to understand about future proofing your income. Taking the moral high ground does not pay the bills.

I had six months cushion. I had to look after my kids fulltime for 5 months and I got sweet FA, not a penny from the government schemes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2