IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

There are 3 active cases according to their official Govt. website.

That’s 20 days open borders with on arrival testing procedures.

Smart people, intelligent governance.

Please remember, we locked down the Island not to keep the virus away but to mitigate it’s transmission. The virus will be around for many months or years yet in some shape or form.

I would hope that Comin will be constantly assessing at the impact of other islands restrictions and will adapt accordingly. This will also be coupled with the necessity to open the borders. I assume that the need for a relaxation of restrictions in Jersey has been to some extent dictated by their larger tourist industry. With the cancellation of our motorsport events and our prom in tatters, our tourist industry is pretty much dead for this year at least, so no such pressure exists. Unless there is another major industry on the island that cannot function over the next few months that I am missing, Comin will be in no rush to make any changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

There are 3 active cases according to their official Govt. website.

That’s 20 days open borders with on arrival testing procedures.

Smart people, intelligent governance.

Please remember, we locked down the Island not to keep the virus away but to mitigate it’s transmission. The virus will be around for many months or years yet in some shape or form.

Jerseys population in normal years increases by many thousands in the summer due to the influx of foreign workers to service the very large tourist industry. The jersey economy relies very much on that industry. Iom has a handful of hotels. Jersey has dozens to fill. We don't need open borders yet. Jersey does! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

The virus will be around for many months or years yet in some shape or form.

But not here on the IOM, provided we mostly keep the border tight. And that's a tremendous economic advantage. As well as keeping us all healthy.

It's great feeling relatively safe going to a restaurant or the supermarket. The first new case and the restaurants are empty again. And nobody will want to go to work.

Edited by pongo

1 minute ago, pongo said:

But not here on the IOM, provided we mostly keep the border tight. And that's a tremendous economic advantage. As well as keeping us all healthy.

It's great feeling relatively safe going to a restaurant or the supermarket. The first new case and the restaurants are empty again.

Can you give me a list of good restaurants? 

10 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Can you give me a list of good restaurants? 

There are some good places to eat which have opened up over the past decade.

The Boathouse in Peel is excellent. And the pizza - pasta place which has just moved to the quay in Douglas (can't remember the name).  Hard to get a table in either because they are both great. Two obvious examples and I am sure there are many others.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mr Newbie said:

Amazingly negative. Have you thought about changing your name to Stay Here Forever Artist? 

Normally, I mean in a normal year, I travel like 20,000 miles by aircraft; and another 15,000 miles by train, bus and ferry. I love jumping on a train in London in the morning and to do trains all across central Europe: Brussels, Cologne, Frankfurt, Munich… and wake up in the early morning in Vienna or Bratislava. It is the only opportunity I have to spend time reading novels… I would never grant myself that luxury in the context of my other work-life setup. If I depart from this island (usually spend 2/3 of my time in this island) then I would do both legs by aircraft.

It is not just the obligation of the two weeks of self isolation on return that I would find it very difficult to cope with (as a middle age man I don’t see compliance as avoidable; as a younger man I would just have said “screw the government” and behave accordingly).

The present situation is that masks are required on public transport in most of Europe. I can’t see myself wearing a mask all day on a train. It would put up my level of anger; and be bad for my health. Would rather prefer injecting myself with the stupid virus. I hate every bit of the lockdown and the way the government has degraded our lives.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I find it difficult to understand why the “border testing” cannot be done. Jersey has been doing it.

He says that it would be “expensive”. But I would have no problem with paying for my own testing, if it can reduce the amount of time spent in quarantine. Even a reduction from 14 to 7 days would be enormously useful; even if it were to cost hundreds of pounds, I would pay for it eagerly, and I don’t think that the cost for the government is that much anyway. Why not giving people the choice?

359344141_Screenshotfrom2020-07-2312-18-11.jpg.64664c3ee7550340fb8e34fed2fff812.jpg

The incubation period is not known https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

There's an average of around a week but potentially up to 2.

We test on symptomatic cases only, plus those front line workers who require one. We have capacity for 200 per day.

Opening up to leisure travellers is not needed. Don't travel - its not that hard. You can read a book anywhere.

24 minutes ago, piebaps said:

The incubation period is not known https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

We test on symptomatic cases only, plus those front line workers who require one. We have capacity for 200 per day.

Opening up to leisure travellers is not needed. Don't travel - its not that hard. You can read a book anywhere.

The 100,000+ residents of Jersey would absolutely love you. An insane situation this administration has backed itself into - paralysed by fear & hysteria.

We should be mitigating the risk but allowing unrestricted travel with a reasoned, sensible testing strategy instead of sticking two pencils up our nostrils, putting our fingers in our ears, humming then hoping Covid just goes away. 

We need some proper leadership, it's a bumbling along fudge. 

43 minutes ago, piebaps said:

That's the isolate for ever strategy, a lot of people on island have family in U.K. & further afield they would like to see in person, also I know a number of elderly residents here would like visits from their children/grandchildren in UK.

still can't understand why we can't just test arrivals like Jersey and make those who wish to travel pay so no cost to taxpayers, I would pay.

Edited by Banker

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

That's the isolate for ever strategy, a lot of people on island have family in U.K. & further afield they would like to see in person, also I know a number of elderly residents here would like visits from their children/grandchildren in UK.

still can't understand why we can't just test arrivals like Jersey and make those who wish to travel pay so no cost to taxpayers, I would pay.

186 people land at the airport. let's say 8.30pm. 

how long would it take to process 186 people ? how many people to undertake the tests? what happens with tests done at that time of night / storage / processing.

all questions that need to be answered if the regime is to test arrivals

you could also apply the above to the boat arrivals. 600 people on a sunday night at 10pm.  imagine people moaning they dont get to their destination until midnight !