IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Everyone agrees that there is a tipping point when COVID will become the norm in circulation. 

That point is when all of the priority groups have been vaccinated. 

Until then, the official policy is local elimination. That’s it. Everything will be disrupted far more if we have a widespread and sustained on-island outbreak at the moment.

So, it won’t change strategy for months yet, move on. 

Plus strategy change at a time when we are first seeing cases with Kent Varient isn’t ideal as it’s supposed to be more transmissible. Elimination means more lockdowns because overreacting is the only way to be sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's a bit like the government announcing: "Yes, something important is going to be announced - meanwhile please don't worry even though your government has already headed to the air raid shelter. More at 10am!"

I’d like to say it’s so they can be clear about the situation and what’s happening. 

But given the elocution, I’m not so sure. I remember when the circuit break lockdown was announced as a circuit breakdown by HQ. 

Cynically, I’d say it’s just for ratings for  the Howie show. Though, I’d put a wager on how much uproar there would be if a lockdown or restrictions were announced at that time of night. 

At lease the press conference is in the morning, even if it suggests we’re in a less than ideal situation. 

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

So Tynwald is sitting virtually today because some members have underlying conditions. Meanwhile, schools are opening as normal. 

My seven-months-pregnant daughter, who also has asthma, will have to turn in for work. She's a supply teacher who is sharing cover for a maternity leave and if she doesn't go in, she won't get paid*.

I'm certain that my daughter isn't the only person who works in or attends the schools who has underlying conditions. 

I guess the health and wellbeing of some (MHKs) is more important than others (teachers, support staff and students). 

*Supply teaching is a zero-hours contract arrangement. Rightly so in normal circumstances, but these are far from normal circumstances. 

Yes. The way supply teachers have been treated is quite outrageous

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So why the radio silence on the number of new cases? I don’t think information like this should be withheld, not when it helps people make informed decisions?

I see several stores are now reintroducing social distancing measures as a precaution, it’s most likely going to be mentioned at the press briefing but they shouldn’t have to second guess.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I half agree I’m not sure a lockdown will be called at 10:00. Not because of the vaccination per see but because clearly we can’t afford to underwrite another £10 to £12M a month for everyone to be sent home gain. We have civil servants to pay as a priority and we can’t have money being diverted to people in a less fortunate position if we stop them from working. 

My money is on a locldown where everyone can work of they want, but realistically lots won't be able to earn or will see a massive drop income because of "the fear" in customers.

Nice dodge for gov not having to pay out while sending people who haven't recovered from last time further info debt or over the edge.

Hope I am wrong, they have hopefully had plenty of time to put the relevant support schemes in ace through extensive communication with the local business community to make sure no certain sectors are disadvantaged more than others.

Just like the an they had in ace to recompense places that had ordered in and prepared three course meals for 200 guests on Saturday.

16 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

So why the radio silence on the number of new cases? I don’t think information like this should be withheld, not when it helps people make informed decisions?

I see several stores are now reintroducing social distancing measures as a precaution, it’s most likely going to be mentioned at the press briefing but they shouldn’t have to second guess.

They’re saving it for the big reveal at 10. 

By all accounts, lots of people out and about already in masks, social distancing etc. which is good. 

52 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Everyone agrees that there is a tipping point when COVID will become the norm in circulation. 

That point is when all of the priority groups have been vaccinated. 

Until then, the official policy is local elimination. That’s it. Everything will be disrupted far more if we have a widespread and sustained on-island outbreak at the moment.

So, it won’t change strategy for months yet, move on. 

Elimination locally isn't the policy, if you read the framework.

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

By all accounts, lots of people out and about already in masks, social distancing etc. which is good. 

Hopefully not another lockdown & just masks & SD for a while 

21 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

My money is on a locldown where everyone can work of they want, but realistically lots won't be able to earn or will see a massive drop income because of "the fear" in customers.

Nice dodge for gov not having to pay out while sending people who haven't recovered from last time further info debt or over the edge.

If we’re having a best guess then I also think it’s going to be some sort of soft lockdown, perhaps a ‘work from home if you can’, no mixing of more than 2 households advised, perhaps those who are classed a vulnerable will be advised to isolate/shield as a precaution etc

I’m not expecting anything to be set in stone, other than a ‘stay alert’ message with social distancing mandatory where possible and mask wearing in shops strongly advised.

Edited by Annoymouse

14 minutes ago, NoTail said:

If there is another 3 week circuit break that will delay the promenade  completion by another 4 months or so.

I've just seen an email forwarded to me by a civvy that would suggest that a 3 week lockdown is indeed coming.

Completely counter to what I expected. Measures? Yes. But I genuinely didn't anticipate them going full lockdown again. That COVID strategy of dealing with unexplained cases really is a waste of time, isn't it...

12 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Went food shopping yesterday and the amount of people wearing masks actually made me feel quite uneasy, I even remarked to my missus ‘ Do they know something we don’t? ‘ there were more people wearing masks than not wearing them.