IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I've just seen an email forwarded to me by a civvy that would suggest that a 3 week lockdown is indeed coming.

Completely counter to what I expected. Measures? Yes. But I genuinely didn't anticipate them going full lockdown again. That COVID strategy of dealing with unexplained cases really is a waste of time, isn't it...

I don’t think that’s far off the money given the tone of things. 

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Went food shopping yesterday and the amount of people wearing masks actually made me feel quite uneasy, I even remarked to my missus ‘ Do they know something we don’t? ‘ there were more people wearing masks than not wearing them.

Yes, a lot more people wearing masks, as indeed was I given the announcement at the weekend.  I don't find it unsettling but reassuring that so many people are quick to put sensible precautions in place.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I've just seen an email forwarded to me by a civvy that would suggest that a 3 week lockdown is indeed coming.

Completely counter to what I expected. Measures? Yes. But I genuinely didn't anticipate them going full lockdown again. That COVID strategy of dealing with unexplained cases really is a waste of time, isn't it...

FFS the doom merchants have won !! Probably why B& q was rammed Sunday, civil servants preparing for gardening & decorating 😂

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, a lot more people wearing masks, as indeed was I given the announcement at the weekend.  I don't find it unsettling but reassuring that so many people are quick to put sensible precautions in place.

It's a very good point Gladys.

The fact is that a lockdown should be entirely avoidable at this point. The Manx Public - in the most part - 'get it'. They're respectful enough of the great situation we were in last year to know how to react without needing to be schooled by the headmaster.

To me it is totally unacceptable that Gov keeps putting the Island, its treasury pockets, businesses and mental health wellbeing through this trauma when they themselves have little to no skin in the game.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Went food shopping yesterday and the amount of people wearing masks actually made me feel quite uneasy, I even remarked to my missus ‘ Do they know something we don’t? ‘ there were more people wearing masks than not wearing them.

I’ve been wearing a mask when in confined spaces all week what’s the problem? You don’t need to be told to take sensible precautions. What’s uneasy about it? Half our problem is this focus on having nothing outside of outbreaks. If we had been wearing masks and distancing this month then maybe this wouldn’t have spread as bad as it has? Just a thought. 

• Like 3

Well I know one thing for certain if my business survives this (don't qualify for gov support) my prices will have to go up again. Once to cover the losses this last year and once again to cover the tax rises coming to pay for all of this.

I weathered the first time understanding we needed time to get things sorted and I had reserves I could use. But after Christmas which is a slow time of year anyway then a lockdown of 3-4 weeks I thought I'd see what was available. Computer said no. (And yes I'm up to date and paid up)

They do not seem to get that its the uncertainty and the wishywashy 'guidance' that is crippling the SME's. And to be frank it is where the UK went so badly wrong. By trying half measures, they got into a right mess.

And much as HQ would like us to move on from SPCo fiasco I for one do not think we should let him off that easily.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps I was just slow to act on this one then because I wasn’t prepared for that level of mask wearing. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable because I wasn’t wearing mine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I’ve been wearing a mask when in confined spaces all week what’s the problem? You don’t need to be told to take sensible precautions. What’s uneasy about it? Half our problem is this focus on having nothing outside of outbreaks. If we had been wearing masks and distancing this month then maybe this wouldn’t have spread as bad as it has? Just a thought. 

For me it’s a little more complex than that, my mask wearing decision is based on a variety of factors, I’d not been in contact with anybody in any of the published places, I’ve mixed with very few people over the course of the last week so chances of me carrying the virus is very unlikely, lastly if majority of people are wearing one then I’ll wear one. I’m not typically one to follow the crowd but when it comes down to mask wearing it’s about having respect for others.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, manxst said:

Initial three week lockdown with closed schools. Bet it’ll be longer than that eventually. 

Should try & keep schools open if possible, should be like most countries schools should be last thing to close as education is so important & pubs etc not