IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

The vaccine does NOT stop the person contacting the virus. The vaccine does NOT stop the person spreading the virus. It DOES reduce the symptoms of the virus, it DOES reduce the need for hospitalisation of the person, it DOES reduce the need for the person to be taken to the ICU and it DOES reduce the chances of death of the person from the virus.

So the calls to vaccinate the IOMSPco crews, police, children and such as opposed to the most vulnerable are clearly misguided. The younger you are, the less chance you have of harsh effects, hospitalisation or death. 

as the U.K. top medical experts are saying - the best usage of the vaccine remains that based on solely an age criteria.

Interesting article here saying there is evidence that catching covid from a vaccinated person lessens the symptoms. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/27/the-great-unknown-do-covid-vaccines-stop-you-spreading-the-virus

You don't want to do the rozzers early anyway. There're some proper knobs in there who denigrate the hard work of fellow emergency services workers just to score cheap points on a web forum..............apparently.:whistling:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunroamin said:

Haha! The Guardian?!!

The publishing agent is irrelevant. The source of the information is the chair of epidemiology at Deakin University in Melbourne, Professor Catherine Bennett, who I suggest probably knows more than your good self. 

4 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

The vaccine does NOT stop the person contacting the virus. The vaccine does NOT stop the person spreading the virus. It DOES reduce the symptoms of the virus, it DOES reduce the need for hospitalisation of the person, it DOES reduce the need for the person to be taken to the ICU and it DOES reduce the chances of death of the person from the virus.

So the calls to vaccinate the IOMSPco crews, police, children and such as opposed to the most vulnerable are clearly misguided. The younger you are, the less chance you have of harsh effects, hospitalisation or death. 

as the U.K. top medical experts are saying - the best usage of the vaccine remains that based on solely an age criteria.

As ever it depends.  Firstly on whether the vaccine(s) reduce transmission (rather than stop it).  If they do to a reasonable extent, then they are worth giving to those most likely to come in contact with the virus, providing other restrictions to restrict transmission aren't reduced.  This will prevent spread.

Secondly what is important is the situation of the country.  If the virus is being successfully excluded, then your priority is those who are most likely to be infected; with community spread, those most likely to be harmed.  New Zealand make this explicit by having different priority lists depending on situation: port and quarantine workers in the first, care homes in the second.

3 minutes ago, piebaps said:

You don't want to do the rozzers early anyway. There're some proper knobs in there who denigrate the hard work of fellow emergency services workers just to score cheap points on a web forum..............apparently.:whistling:

What’s the skeet there then? To be fair, there are proper knobs everywhere you look. I think at least the rank and file ‘patrol’ officers or whatever they’re called should be vaccinated. They’re the ones who probably come into contact with the most potential Covid carriers on the island, day in and day out. Back office staff and bosses who never leave their offices, fine, leave them til last. 

• Like 1

I was thinking today after all these press conferences for the past year if you didn’t know better you would think the only mhks are Howard, ashford and Allison...literally we never hear anything of any of the others.  Yes they might be only social media etc and Manx radio but do the man or woman in the street most at completely invisible and don’t exist.......or is it just me?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

The vaccine does NOT stop the person contacting the virus.

You do need to catch the virus for the vaccine to work. 

The vaccine does NOT stop the person spreading the virus.

True, but it reduces it significantly (60-70% according to published data).

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-confirms-protection-against-severe-disease-hospitalisation-and-death-in-the-primary-analysis-of-phase-iii-trials.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer-israel-transmission-latest-b1805313.html

Having the crew wear PPE at all times when aboard will reduce the risk of them contracting the virus in the first place. Should the virus evade the PPE and infect them, having them vaccinated will help prevent them spreading it when the are off duty.

Seems like the best belt and braces we can summon at the moment.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Great comments. But you’re the first to go crying to them if burgled or assaulted/harassed I bet. 

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

Seems like the best belt and braces we can summon at the moment.

And we could do with some belts and braces at the moment, seeing that the virus is pulling a few pairs of trousers down presently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

I was thinking today after all these press conferences for the past year if you didn’t know better you would think the only mhks are Howard, ashford and Allison...literally we never hear anything of any of the others.  Yes they might be only social media etc and Manx radio but do the man or woman in the street most at completely invisible and don’t exist.......or is it just me?

See now this is a thing worth raising.

We get the occasional blast of brilliance from Alf.

Obviously the Minister for Home Afffairs, who you'd expect to have some reasonable amount of input on issues of home affairs is a blubbering idiot, so you can see why they'd keep him away from the lectern, but what exactly are the rest off them doing?

Skelly made I think two appearances to say, well I don't know, and Harmer did early when still DoI. 

CoMin met for hours yesterday but we don't know what was said.

These people have our lives in their hands.

Oh

My 

God

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 4