IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Initially, that was the case, because the evidence didn’t yet exist.

The hypothesis did, but you don’t want to tell people based on just a hypothesis and assuring them it should work that way. 

As time goes on, the evidence points to a significant reduction. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-results-public-health-england-b921793.html

Yes , evidence seems clear now with cases falling rapidly in UK as vaccinations ramp up , although there’s always doubters 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Careful now. @CowManwill call you doom laden and depressing. 

Yes I’m all logged in for another day of doom-mongery. It’s like I’ve got addicted to vicarious depression now so come on guys can you please give me a quick summary of how much more fucked we’ve become overnight? I see some schools have now closed. That’s depressing right? So are we now at a three month or six month lockdown prognosis? Or maybe 12 months just to be on the same side? Lots of the kids at school will be key workers kids so any takers on hospitals and GP surgeries and the police (or the vaccination centres) having to struggle with so many parents now sent home for three weeks? That’s so depressing if it has a shred of truth about it. Isn’t it? Come on open the doom floodgates and give me the full overnight view! 

I know HQ and DA love to compare us with other jurisdictions to justify decisions made by Comin, even after the whole Manx solutions for Manx problems mantra. So thought I'd look at the latest Guernsey lockdown. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-55778780

Seemingly they found non explainable cases on Friday 22 January and locked down on Saturday 23 January. We were told about non explainable cases on Saturday 27 Feb (so not sure if they were found on Fri 26 or Sat 27) and then waited till Weds 3 Mar to lockdown. What makes it even worse is when HQ says at yesterday briefing that they expect the number of cases to be a lot higher and then refers to the Guernsey outbreak

I was also looking at testing numbers. Guernsey population around 63000, have done over 68000 tests. IoM population around 85000 have done just over 33000 tests. Anyone have a clue as to why we have tested so little? Do we just not have the capacity to do it or is this reflective of an actual policy decision to not test?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

No! But he should have done something at weekend for say 7 days 

But you clearly argued exactly the opposite:

On 2/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Banker said:

Howie & co need to hold nerve & not lockdown unless absolutely no choice, introduce face masks & SD & seated hospitality for a while if necessary but keep schools & business open 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, Banker said:

Anyone been out, it’s lovely and very busy usual groups of cyclists,joggers, walkers etc even saw a few workers on a roof and shifting crane so must be trying to finish job before Howie shafts them

And you fully supported the decision:

On 2/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, Banker said:

Well thank god Howie has decided to ignore the doom merchants for once and let the economy try & recover, much better from Howie!

You lot were all about how you were off for a carvery and wasn't it great that the pubs were open. 

It was already too late by then.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ed fournier said:

Can anyone tell me if you can exercise beyond the boundaries of your house if you have been told to self-isolate?   Govt website suggests you can go out for an hour but I’ve heard conflicting advice.   Thanks   

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/leaving-the-house-exercise/

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/self-isolation/

Must not leave your home for any reason

Must not go out to buy food or collect medicine – order them by phone or online, or ask someone else to drop them off at your home

YOU CAN  continue to use your garden, if you have one but you should only use it if you feel well enough and do not need to access communal areas to get to it

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Whatever you want to criticize the IOM Government for you can’t criticize it for open and honest, or lack of communication. Five briefings in five days, with media questions if I’m correct.
As regards friendly communication, when faced with the likes of an aggressive Moulton and to a lesser extent Glover, the CM does well to keep his temper in check. Not sure I could.

Several briefings for questions does not necessarily mean the answers are open and honest and it is a mistake to believe so.

The default position and repeated behaviours of our politicians demonstrates the island culture of secrecy and distractions alongside their obfuscation and misdirections. The island is too small for it to be any other way and we have to deal with it as best we can. But please do not use the terms open and honest as we will never achieve it.

The other point is that no matter the stance and attitudes of HQ and the media questioners those press briefings are for the public, people like me. I am not interested in how they all feel, I want clear information and advice which is helpful and factual. I can't stop doing my job just because I get a bit miffed with someone at work for 10 minutes each day. They need to grow up if that is the case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

But it says this on the exercise page...

If you have been told to self-isolate, you can exercise for an hour a day only.

The returning residents must stay at home first week but can go out for an hour a day subject to a negative test on day 7 in week 2.

If you're self isolating you should have received a direction notice from 111 saying what you can and can't do?

Edited by jaymann
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

Can anyone tell me if you can exercise beyond the boundaries of your house if you have been told to self-isolate?   Govt website suggests you can go out for an hour but I’ve heard conflicting advice.   Thanks   

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/leaving-the-house-exercise/

it all depends who you are, SPCO employees = ok , plebs = 2 weeks in Jurby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jaymann said:

The returning residents must stay at home first week but can go out for an hour a day subject to a negative test on day 7.

If you're self isolating you should have received a direction notice from 111 saying what you can and can't do?

Take QE2 as an example, there is no way those people who now have to isolate will have had any form of notice yet.

This info should all be clearly available when people need it, but really if for example you are impacted by last nights qe2 announcement then you all just don't leave the house at all for a few days or until they contact you.  I assume every school has a clearly defined policy on what to do so it should be early this morning you would hope?

And don't all be phoning 111.  Let them do their jobs.

Edited by horatiotheturd

6 minutes ago, jaymann said:

The returning residents must stay at home first week but can go out for an hour a day subject to a negative test on day 7 in week 2.

Thanks for that.  I think someone needs to make this clearer on the website.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3