IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Banker said:

And the best way to protect these vulnerable obese people apparently is to lock them inside their houses, limit further their exercise, and put them in a mental state where many will resort to over drinking alcohol or over eating to cope. It makes a so much sense! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If you use the cluster argument, could we not all be in the Wuhan cluster?  Just a silly definition on which to base a strategy.  Surely, the important thing is that you can backward trace to find other hidden pockets of infection then forward trace from there to find other pockets and so on, testing all the way.  

Going/testing backwards (via genomics) was derided at the briefing the other day...🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CowMan said:

And the best way to protect these vulnerable obese people apparently is to lock them inside their houses, limit further their exercise, and put them in a mental state where many will resort to over drinking alcohol or over eating to cope. It makes a so much sense! 

We had free reign to go and do anything for 7months last summer. 3-6weeks now is not going to be a meaningful time period for anyone to lose a significant amount of weight.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Well I was making those figures up, but the point remains. Keep the totals recorded for people to write a thesis on when it all over by all means but its mostly pointless publishing it right now. Same with the total people infected when half of them were a year ago. What matters is what is happening right now, and while I know that info is there, it could be clearer if they tidied it up a bit.

I was being informative, not corrective, but it's true that (except maybe as a check total) these running totals are meaning, especially given various changes in circumstances such as wrighty referred to.  I think they just don't want to give the number of tests done each day because it will illustrate how few they have been doing.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, manxst said:

Going/testing backwards (via genomics) was derided at the briefing the other day...🤦‍♂️

Well, they should have watched Horizon last week which explained how necessary it is to go backwards to travel other pockets where other lines of infection may have gone. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, they should have watched Horizon last week which explained how necessary it is to go backwards to travel other pockets where other lines of infection may have gone. 

Maybe they did Gladys and that's why both HQ and DA have both made it clear this week that they are not experts on genomics. Getting ready to pass the blame onto others!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally there's a slight discrepancy in today's figures.  They're claiming a total of 546 cases with 36 new ones.  But yesterday's total cases was 511 so there's a slip up somewhere.

I think he said there were three in hospital yesterday and two today, so I assumed there was one recovery. Would explain the discrepancy.

Edited by Cambon

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If you use the cluster argument, could we not all be in the Wuhan cluster?  Just a silly definition on which to base a strategy.  Surely, the important thing is that you can backward trace to find other hidden pockets of infection then forward trace from there to find other pockets and so on, testing all the way.  

Well quite.  The idea of a community case was a good one originally because it distinguished those being infected in the community, from those who were already infected on arrival and tested positive while isolated, but hadn't had the chance to infect anyone outside their household.  That's how other countries (such as New Zealand) use it.

But the Manx government just altered the definition in an arbitrary manner so they could brag about having no community cases when they did.  They didn't fool anyone except themselves, but that delusion is probably responsible for this latest outbreak and lock down being so bad.  It took maybe 14 days from the first case till lockdown came in.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I think he said there were three in hospital yesterday and two today, so I assumed yore was one recovery. Would explain the discrepancy.

No because that's the total number of Covid cases ever, so recovery (or even release from hospital which would be something else) wouldn't change that.  You can't un-have Covid.  I suppose there could have been a false positive, but those are very rare and should be mentioned and explained.

I think it's just an addition error, but they ought to check and things such as the discrepancy on the 'unknown' number ought to be specifically explained as well.  These things matter because it shows they are actually thinking what the numbers mean rather than treating them like some sort of trophy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

During the course of today the number of cars around on the roads that I've seen (during work) and the number of people out and about, sometimes with no sign of any social distancing, it would make me wonder if there's actually a lockdown in place at present.

Town was dead when I went in

• Like 1

I hope someone here will correct me, my memoryis not so good.

Last year our government boasted about how we beat the virus and unlike the (useless) English we did not have construction workers all over the place.  

Now we have changed our minds and they are working everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I hope someone here will correct me, my memoryis not so good.

Last year our government boasted about how we beat the virus and unlike the (useless) English we did not have construction workers all over the place.  

Now we have changed our minds and they are working everywhere. 

I think the problem is possibly a combination major construction companies having an undue amount of sway; needing to finish the prom ASAP; and a lot of the self employed construction workers not having their NI contributions correct so not qualifying for the support schemes.

• Like 3