IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Those saying about people not wearing masks . It was made quite clear when this last outbreak started , wrongly I feel , that masks were advisable . Common sense would say they should be worn but not enforceable due to that statement . 

Loads of people have lots of qualifications and skills but zero common sense - usually high up in IOMG!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

England is massive with loads of access points, loads of international travellers and sixty odd million people.

It should have been easy to keep a lid on it here and almost impossible there.

In six months I have a feeling we will know who handled it better and it won't be us.

I agree with you entirely that control here should have been far, far simpler than elsewhere. The fact that this control has now failed is what underpinned my comment that our leaders haven’t been smart to date, they’ve been fortunate. However, the performance of the English government was nonetheless a national disgrace. They have presided over the highest ever loss of life in peacetime and spent billions to zero effect. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

No, the English government that failed to get any material grip whatsoever on Covid for months (while 100,000 people died) until the vaccine came to their rescue, and whilst failing to achieve any mitigation, spent billions on test and trace that didn’t work, let contracts to their mates for non-compliant PPE and allowed infected patients to be admitted to care homes. Those English.

Yes you have a point. However, would Labour have done things any differently? I doubt it. It’s the first major pandemic to hit the UK for 102 years (last Spanish Flu 1918-1919, and that pandemic was also worldwide). Pandemic and virus planning will be upgraded and lessons will be learned I’m sure.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Yes you have a point. However, would Labour have done things any differently? I doubt it. It’s the first major pandemic to hit the UK for 102 years (last Spanish Flu 1918-1919, and that pandemic was also worldwide). Pandemic and virus planning will be upgraded and lessons will be learned I’m sure.

Fair comment - but Starmer wouldn’t have made policies designed to satisfy a vocal, unrepresentative minority of nut jobs on his back benches, which is what Johnson has done consistently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

I agree with you entirely that control here should have been far, far simpler than elsewhere. The fact that this control has now failed is what underpinned my comment that our leaders haven’t been smart to date, they’ve been fortunate. However, the performance of the English government was nonetheless a national disgrace. They have presided over the highest ever loss of life in peacetime and spent billions to zero effect. 

As have the government in many other countries.

It should have been so easy here and they screwed it up.

We can't even test people because we don't have a system for bookings that works.

The vaccine programme is a total disgrace.

They didn't bother testing people travelling in until it was to late.

They have separated people from their family off island.

We don't even have support bubbles.

Suicides are through the roof.

Financial support for businesses and individuals is pitiful/ non existent.

Etc etc.

If my sister had nominated me for an MBE based on the handling of the situation I wouldn't have been accepting it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if and when HRH The Chief Minister has finished with his and his family’s birthday celebrations, at the glorious nightspots and high end hotels that the island has to offer, does he have plans to tour around the UKs newsrooms boasting of the IOMs ability to get in top of problems and Our world class healthcare system and our world beating infrastructure projects?

How true these rumours are (Manx Rumour Mill) I don’t know, but they come from somewhere? Social Media? I thought HRH The Chief Minister, Ashie and The People’s Prince were the darlings of Social Media? 

25 minutes ago, quilp said:

You've been banned, under so many guises in the past yet keep returning to troll this forum time after time. You're the one with the "crazed obsession." You just can't stay away can you?

You really do sound quite mad. Is it lockdown rage? The unraveling mental health crisis really is quite concerning but equally very understandable. As I said please do just block my posts. I really haven’t got the time to read or respond to your aggressive paranoia and bizarre claims. 

Thanks.

It looks like several other forum members have seen the exact same sort of incidents that I have seen in the last day or so and that would make your claims that I made them up just basically wrong

Edited by CowMan
Typo

55 minutes ago, CowMan said:

That’s a bit overkill you can’t just take everyone’s livelihood off them unnecessarily. The only people in construction I’ve seen breaking the rules were the teams working for the DOI at about 3 sites yesterday. Not unlike the SPC situation really. We don’t have to do all that fussy shit like wearing masks or keeping 2M apart because we work for government. The private employers in contrast seem to have been responsible across the board and brought in proper monitoring and policies. 

As I’ve mentioned previously, some (all?) DOI workers have been vaccinated for weeks now and have obviously as a result, adopted attitudes of not needing to distance etc. 

Just now, manxst said:

As I’ve mentioned previously, some (all?) DOI workers have been vaccinated for weeks now and have obviously as a result, adopted attitudes of not needing to distance etc. 

Yes but they need to remember that they are on public display. They are required to follow the rules vaccinated or not. It sets a very poor example when they don’t. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Fair comment - but Starmer wouldn’t have made policies designed to satisfy a vocal, unrepresentative minority of nut jobs on his back benches, which is what Johnson has done consistently.

Unfortunately it is very easy to criticise both major UK political parties. I wouldn’t want to make the type of decisions that are being made. Nobody can win sadly. 

Here (IOM)I’m afraid the decision making in some cases has been driven by political expediency, the usual vested interests and lobbying grups as well as Karen and the Pitchforks. Would the decisions have been different if the pandemic wasn’t 18 months to a year away from a general election? They may have been - for the good or worse, but what’s happened has happened, and we should concentrate on now.

Edited by 2112

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unfortunately it is very easy to criticise both major UK political parties. I wouldn’t want to make the type of decisions that are being made. Nobody can win sadly. 

Here (IOM)I’m afraid the decision making in some cases has been driven by political expediency, the usual vested interests and lobbying grups as well as Karen and the Pitchforks. Would the decisions have been different if the pandemic wasn’t 18 months to a year away from a general election? They may have been - for the good or worse, but what’s happened has happened, and we should concentrate on now.

Concentrate on now?

Hell no.  I am concentrating on last summer when despite some mess ups we were staying lucky.

I don't even want to think about now and the next few months.  Total car crash

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Those saying about people not wearing masks . It was made quite clear when this last outbreak started , wrongly I feel , that masks were advisable . Common sense would say they should be worn but not enforceable due to that statement . 

Yes, but a responsible employer would make it a requirement and would enforce it.

There was a man in Tesco today with his mask carefully placed over his mouth but under his nose.  What is so hard about  getting mask wearing right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but a responsible employer would make it a requirement and would enforce it.

There was a man in Tesco today with his mask carefully placed over his mouth but under his nose.  What is so hard about  getting mask wearing right?

Lol...there was some woman being interviewed on Grenada TV this evening from the middle of Strand St with the same issue- nose not covered.