IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I am getting seriously concerned about the cost of all this to the Government. My suspicion is that Alf will resort to stealing pension fund money and anything else soon. Very little has been said about our ability to finance another 6 to 10 weeks. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NoTail said:

I am getting seriously concerned about the cost of all this to the Government. My suspicion is that Alf will resort to stealing pension fund money and anything else soon. Very little has been said about our ability to finance another 6 to 10 weeks. 

Wealth before health ?

Or health before wealth ?

2 hours ago, Manx Yeller said:

I've just looked at the figures that give the age range split and it seems to say that every case ever is related to travel except one case today. Am I reading it right? (in which case maybe they need to rerun the figures!)

No you're right, someone has completely screwed up the spreadsheet when trying to put in today's figures (which don't match).  I'll try to see if I can work out what they should be later.

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Yeah, government workers’ pensions will be the last to be stopped. We all knew this years ago. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

as one of the many people who expressed significant concern (being described as a 'doomer' or something equally brilliant by some) about the future, mostly to do with suspicions of complacency and a lack of preparedness for this exact situation, frankly I think I've a right to be a bit pissed off.

From the start the signals were there. Slack controls, a lack of manpower on checking people actually were self isolating in favour of resourcing the rebuilding of choo choo tracks and the prom works, then poor coordination of the whole traveller monitoring infrastructure, then a lack of testing or even acknowledging that testing and data outputs had to be a vital part of all this and in fact then an apparent complete meanness in funding an effective testing programme and treating covid tests like Treasury gold coins that couldn’t just be handed out to anyone just in case they tested positive. Then we had the Glover Affair when it was clear that nobody wanted to be told that all the above was a bit shit. Then the ignoring of obvious pleas for 13 day testing before the students came home (which Guernsey was already doing) until it was too late and caused the last outbreak, and now this SPC nonsense. 

All they have sold people from day one is that harsh lockdowns and throwing every fucker in prison is the solution to everything that we needed to do. Minimal effort and cheapest possible plan with the added benefit of tens of thousands of absolute morons nodding noisily in agreement looking the other way while largely fuck all else was going on behind the scenes to tighten everything up. 

Edited by CowMan
Typo traveller
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Then the ignoring of obvious pleas for 13 day testing before the students came home (which Guernsey was already doing) until it was too late and caused the last outbreak, and now this SPC nonsense.

Ha. Who would of thought the day where I’d agree with one of your posts?

Though, don’t vilify the students, they’re as a rule of thumb an educated bunch, and you’ll note we’ve not had any publicised breaches involving them. They all knew the deal when coming back and appreciated the position we were in, and have now sadly lost. 

I remember distinctly, one argument put forth by our health minister time and time again was “why would anyone willingly subject themselves to a test, it isn’t very pleasant” when asked about why we weren’t having any form of surveillance testing on arrival or before release from isolation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Ha. Who would of thought the day where I’d agree with one of your posts?

Though, don’t vilify the students, they’re as a rule of thumb an educated bunch, and you’ll note we’ve not had any publicised breaches involving them. They all knew the deal when coming back and appreciated the position we were in, and have now sadly lost. 

I’m not vilifying students the testing was a sensible precaution to bring in as a slightly increased risk was there. It wasn’t a student who caused that anyway but the controls should have been in place. But the sad fact is that we could have had slightly more open borders (simply just allowing off island family to return and more people in for funerals and compassionate reasons) if we’d actually managed most of the above property as our front line defense. All this “close the borders” shit was  just misleading as have now been proven with an outbreak that likely links back to the SPC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Great. We can reciprocate and get rid of the fuckers that are here.

Yeah, those locums and agency health care workers just drive me mad as well. We don't need them anymore...

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice at about 57 minutes in how Howard mentioned that crews had been mixing with people and crews from the UK? 

That was not allowed. Never! That is what has caused the problem.

They just became used to it. Complacency. 

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

This

16 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Did anyone else notice at about 57 minutes in how Howard mentioned that crews had been mixing with people and crews from the UK? 

That was not allowed. Never! That is what has caused the problem.

They just became used to it. Complacency. 

Here. talking about why Steam Packet were vaccinated:

I think HQ should have inserted and stressed the word "potentially" (mixing etc)

Edited by Barlow