IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

This

I was amazed UK furlough was 80%. They should have started at say 50% and reduced from there.

Universal Basic Income needs to be brought in. For everybody unable to work, including Government employees of course.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I was amazed UK furlough was 80%. 

It isn’t it’s 80% up to a max of £2,500 a month. So if you usually earn £3,500 a month then it’s nowhere near 80% of you normal wage as you’re losing a grand a month.

Edited by CowMan
Typo

7 minutes ago, CowMan said:

It isn’t it’s 80% up to a max of £2,500 a month. So if you usually earn £3,500 a month then it’s nowhere near 80% of you normal wage as you’re losing a grand a month.

If you've been earning £3500 a month you should be able to cope with the hit for a while.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

If you've been earning £3500 a month you should be able to cope with the hit for a while.

Not if you have a non earning or part time working spouse and two kids. It’s £12,000 a year you’re probably using to pay the rent and other basic things. This whole perception in some quarters that people are rolling in it is false. Many are scratching to keep their heads above water. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it's not going to cause the same panic at the weekend .  They're saving it up till 11:30 pm on Sunday.

The person responsible for everbridge updates probably clocked off early after building up a decent wedge of flexi time this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Not if you have a non earning or part time working spouse and two kids. It’s £12,000 a year you’re probably using to pay the rent and other basic things. This whole perception in some quarters that people are rolling in it is false. Many are scratching to keep their heads above water. 

I didn't say easy, I said cope. 

38 minutes ago, CowMan said:

22 minutes ago, CowMan said:

During lockdown there are an awful lot of bank accounts overflowing - no holidays, no new clothes.... nights out... new car etc etc etc.

There are many people highly skint of course, and will now be even more skinter.

The simple economics of the furlough system, and with many workers still receiving 100% of course, simply can't work.

A Universal Basic Income or similar should have been brought in, and should in future. It's a leveller but so is a Covid pandemic.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Here. talking about why Steam Packet were vaccinated:

I think HQ should have inserted and stressed the word "potentially" (mixing etc)

Yes there's nothing to say that things have really changed in how the staff have operated, and the fact that there haven't been any outbreaks before now suggests the procedures were fairly safe and were followed.  But over a long enough time even low probability chances will likely happen, the important thing is how you react to them.  In this case the Manx Government followed their usual rule of trying to find someone to blame rather that trying to deal with the consequences.

One thing that did amuse me was Ashford's defence of not giving the police priority vaccination on the grounds that as it didn't stop transmission, they would still have to isolate etc and unless vulnerable they didn't need the extra disease-reduction that it would give them.  Which is a point I've made before myself, but it also undermines the priority that was given to health workers, though no one is rude enough to point this out.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Leaving arguments about the morality of wage levels aside, if you've been earning £7K a month with, no doubt, mortgage, HP and school fees (if applicable) on the generally accepted 'you live to your means', a reduction to £2800 per month is a hit.  Having said that, £2800 is extremely generous and rather points to why the UK is bankrupt.  And, yes, short-term it's livable but bear in mind that for many in the UK we are now at the 1st anniversary with several more months of semi house arrest in prospect.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Barlow said:

During lockdown there are an awful lot of bank accounts overflowing - no holidays, no new clothes.... nights out... new car etc etc etc.

There are many people highly skint of course, and will now be even more skinter.

You are simply clueless aren’t you? Of all the throughly inept posters on here you do genuinely seem to be the most inept of them all. Well done. Yes it’s all a big con and we’re all making a fortune out of not working during covid ... said nobody ever! 

4 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Why don't you fuck off then if it so bad?  There's a boat in the mornin' fella.:whatever:

Because unlike some I have responsibilities and obligations here! In all fairness and a result of HRH The Chief Ministers complete intransigence, it could be said that the Ben either be totally freight, or perhaps the Arrow should just do the freight. We should swallow our pride and not admit incoming key workers. After all we have such all round expert know it all’s in Terry Fuckwit!

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

In way its academic if it is 10 or 12 weeks as UK is opening up in mid April,  about 6 weeks. So I will bugger off to the UK in my motorhome for 5 or 6 weeks and let the IOM sort itself out. 

A bit optimistic. I reckon our politicos will ape the UK and introduce travel permits for us to go abroad and the UK. You have to state purpose of visit and is designed to stop people going on holidays.